Rumor: Apple to release sub-$250 7-inch 8GB iPad in October

Comments

• Reply 21 of 120
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

So instead of a 7" iPad, Apple brings out the 7" iPod Touch Pro (64GB), drops the price on regular iPod Touch to $99 (16GB) $199 (32GB).

It could happen.

It could.

Makes as much sense as the rumor, maybe a tad more. 

Better yet, they get rid of iPod classic and iPod shuffle, drop price of iPod nano down to $49/$79, change name of iPod touch to iPod, and adopt pricing of $129/$199/$299, with the screen size perhaps increased to differentiate it from iPhone. Whether or not there's room for the intermediate screen size is conjecture. I think 3.5" and 10" are fine, but there seems to be a lot of folks who 1-3 more SKUs.

• Reply 22 of 120
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

I didn't say I was certain.  I just said it suggested that to my weird little mind.

• Reply 23 of 120
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

Better yet, they get rid of iPod classic and iPod shuffle, drop price of iPod nano down to $49/$79, change name of iPod touch to iPod, and adopt pricing of $129/$199/$299, with the screen size perhaps increased to differentiate it from iPhone. Whether or not there's room for the intermediate screen size is conjecture. I think 3.5" and 10" are fine, but there seems to be a lot of folks who 1-3 more SKUs.

There's no evidence to suggest the shuffle is selling poorly. And I personally assumed they would discontinue the classic three years ago, and now look where we are.

• Reply 24 of 120
    rbelsrbels Posts: 29member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post

I heard the Kindle Fire was mostly bought by people to give away as gifts (hence the dropoff in sales after the holidays).

A local radio show host that got one for Christmas likened the Fire to fruitcakes:  you buy them only for other people, but no one wants to buy one for themselves. image

I appreciate your sense of ignorance or is it just happens to be your lack of knowledge?

• Reply 25 of 120
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDCragg View Post

What you are describing is called a "canary trap".

Dr. Jack Ryan?

Sir (honorary) Jack Ryan?

Sir Dr. President Jack Ryan?

Seriously, IF Apple does this, it's a gateway drug into the Apple computing ecosystem.  Take the RED pill, people.

• Reply 26 of 120
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

This suggests rather strongly to me that the whole event will be about the (incredibly popular and already much copied) iPod nano form factor. 

Or simply the shape of the App icons.  The think the event will be all about new apps for iOS and OSX platforms. They are way overdue for updates which utilized iCloud fully for syncing.

• Reply 27 of 120
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyzlmt View Post

An reason for this could be...

Not every product a manufacturer makes is expected to bring in the same profit margins.

Could be as simple as expanding their markets, or locking more people in to their platform so that when it comes time to upgrade... they stay with the manufacturer.

Similarly... While GM would love to sell everyone an expensive and profit ladened Corvette or Cadillac...  but many can only afford a Chevy Sonic.  And when that Chevy Sonic owner gets promoted and more cash down the road, hopefully they go bigger with Chevy.

The difference with AAPL is, will the markets understand a lower overall margin trade-off for the benefit of more sales and future growth opps?

Interesting fact about that is that GM came very close to dropping the Corvette in the 50's because of low sales (and the fact that the originals really were crap... although nice looking crap.)

One engineer apparently was able to make the case that having the Corvette in the line-up added panache to the whole line and would (and did) drive downmarket sales.

So Apple may very well introduce a 'beginners' tablet, but not for the same reason that GM kept the Vette.

• Reply 28 of 120
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

ha ha.. race to the bottom. right, Apple will be all over this approach.

• Reply 29 of 120
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's no evidence to suggest the shuffle is selling poorly. And I personally assumed they would discontinue the classic three years ago, and now look where we are.

Perhaps it isn't. I sort of think the iPod shuffle is there simply to push people up the food chain, so to speak, but I could be wrong. I am not trying to guess when iPod classic will be discontinued, but eventually it will. I've been on the same bandwagon as you, harping on that it's time for the iPod classic to die. Thing is, iCloud didn't exist 3 years ago.

I think the bigger consideration though is that when it does go away, we can simply go back to iPod, dropping the silly monikers. I think that the shuffle's life is shortened by the fact that it's not any smaller than iPod nano, so even if it was selling decently, why not just sell more iPod nanos and maybe even get them to try out a few nano Apps while they're at it?

• Reply 30 of 120
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    [RIGHT][/RIGHT]If we consider that Apple is now selling the 10" iPad 2 for $399, the idea of selling a 7.85" model for, say, $299, isn't such a stretch. The question isn't whether they could do it, but whether they want to do it.

I've got no doubt they're working on a number of sizes of tablet in their labs. Why not? Even if they have no interest at the time in producing them, they would learn a lot about the ergonomics and usefulness of such devices.

At some point, they may decide that it's worth while.

If they do this, and they do it at the time they do the new iPhone, something I'm not so certain they would do, it has some sense to it as well. They might want to use the new SoC the new phone will use. Releasing them at the same time might make sense from that perspective.

If they use the current SoC, which may prove a good idea, especially as we know they are using a new 32nm process version in some iPad 2‘s to good effect, that would also be cheaper than a new one, as the design has been used and vetted, for less R&D costs.

According to Anandtech, the battery life is much better, so they could use a smaller battery, resulting in lower cost there as well.

I wouldn't dismiss this out of hand, though the $200 price does seem too low.

But with Apple, who ever really knows?
  • Reply 31 of 120
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    The new, seven-inch iPad will only be available in black.

There will also be a three inch Asian model.

Don't let your ladies buy one.

;-)
  • Reply 32 of 120

I already bought a sub 250$ 7" iPad in the Galaxy Tab 2 7" and it came with a universal remote app that also works with IR devices natively. It's all I've ever wanted out of the iPad, and it's something the iPad will never have. Apple can kiss it. 

• Reply 33 of 120
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Apple does this, and they will basically massacre everyone else, as well as prevent anyone from gaining traction in the tablet space for the next several years. 

I have no doubt they can release an iPad at this size and pricepoint while keep the quality and user experience high. I approve. 

• Reply 34 of 120
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by micahcbrown View Post

In what world would it cost $250? An iPod Touch start at $199 and goes up from there. It's not going to happen because the cost of parts would prohibit Apple from making any kind of profit off a $250 device.

Use brains, not drug induced rumors.

Logical.

But no need to punctuate your logic with a qualifier like "drug-induced". Let's play nice.

• Reply 35 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I used to think the same and mostly still do, but recently I've begun to think that there are other form factors of iOS on the horizon.  

consider this for example: 

wwdc2012-june-11-15.jpg

This suggests rather strongly to me that the whole event will be about the (incredibly popular and already much copied) iPod nano form factor.  If Apple is beginning to see iOS as a sort of workhorse OS that can exist in multiple form factors, (and the evidence is that they do), then why not a mini tablet form factor as well? 

Not sure I see the Nano connection, but I definitely see this expanding to other form factors.  I don't see the room in the current pricing scheme for a mini iPad.  Only if the Nano becomes the new Touch, and the Touch gets scaled up to the 7-inch range.  Otherwise, a 7-inch iPad really only serves to satisfy a small but loud group of people who just want the form factor.

Quote:

I'm still not sure we will see a smaller iPad this year , but there will definitely be more shapes and sizes of iOS devices in the future.  

I can agree with this.

Quote:

There is also the possibility of dedicated devices.  What if they release a 7" tablet but instead of being a mini iPad it's a dedicated device for writers like a digital steno pad with a built in digitiser for pen input?  The Galaxy note, despite the drubbing it has received in the press has some very ardent fans already.  

Seems un-Apple-like to me.  Even more so with Tim Cook as CEO.  That's pretty niche.  Steve Jobs had pet projects, but I don't know about Tim Cook. 

Quote:

If and when they get around to integrating stylus input into iOS devices, I think it's a rather obvious move to go bigger as well as smaller.  As an artist myself, I would kill for an 18 or 20 inch iPad that allowed for using a proper stylus.  Such a device would rule the market in it's category and be better than anything Wacom ever envisioned in their wildest dreams.  

I, too, would kill for such a device.

• Reply 36 of 120

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Doesn't Amazon make a loss on the Fire and this is with cheaper/slower components than other tablets. I could see Apple making a 7" tablet (I wouldn't mind one) but it won't be this cheap. Minimum price would likely be $300

Can you pull any other numbers out of your ass while you're at it? I'd love to know what the GNP of ecuador will be in 2015

• Reply 37 of 120
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

I already bought a sub 250$ 7" iPad in the Galaxy Tab 2 7" and it came with a universal remote app that also works with IR devices natively. It's all I've ever wanted out of the iPad, and it's something the iPad will never have. Apple can kiss it. 

Apple can 'kiss it' because they didn't design their entire entire tablet around you, who has extremely niche uses and requirements. Seems it worked out fine for them. How's that galaxy tab doing? Sales have been pretty fucking horrible, so apparently not that many people care about that IR functionality, and it seems people use the iPad for a few more things beyond a damn TV remote control, which is basically what you want. So no, you can kiss it, and have some damn perspective instead of trolling the company for making something noone wants except you. 

• Reply 38 of 120
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

In re: the Chevy vs Corvette vs Cadillac proposition...  When I worked at IBM, I kidded a fellow consultant that "he was wasting his time with the Chevrolet DIvision of GM -- he should aspire to the Cadillac Division".   He 'splained to me that while Caddy had the prestige,  Chevy moved the iron and brought in the revenue/profits that supported all the other divisions.  1-5-3-6-2-4

As to different sizes/prices of tablets and other tablet-like smart devices...  Sooner or later we will see devices around $200 that will satisfy some [as yet] unmet demands... things like,

-- universal remotes

-- intercom/security monitoring

-- home control

-- personal TVs

-- low cost post-pc computer alternative for low purchasing power economies like India

-- fulfill the promise of OLPC for emerging countries

I think we're pretty close to seeing this happen...

• Reply 39 of 120
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    At those price points I suspect it isn't an iPad at all, but a high end ebook reader
  • Reply 40 of 120
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member

Well I agree that 250$ is ipod touch money but a 8" tablet starting at 350$ will be great for educational. Right now apple cheapest educational laptop is a 1000$ Air and they are losing sales to windows on educational. A 350$ ipad and a 800$ Air will get them back selling to shcools IMHO...