'Huge' orders for Samsung's flexible OLEDs spark rumors of Apple interest

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member

If it makes the iDevice more shatter resistant, I'm all for it. I dropped my iPod just wrong and the display shattered. I know others who have done the same thing.

- Jasen.

• Reply 22 of 39
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

origam-iMac?

• Reply 23 of 39
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

I am sick to death of smartphone screens that stay put when I tap and swipe. I want to feel like I’m writing on Jell-o. And down with durable, solid gorilla glass! Give me a display I can actually dent and crease from normal use! Apple is surely interested in this, coupled with a flexible battery, motherboard and antennas. My next iPhone will double as a dish sponge or I’m going Android!

• Reply 24 of 39
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

yeah, sure, Apple is "interested" in the flexible OLED, in the sense of keeping one's enemies closer, but Apple will almost certainly continue to use displays with far better image quality than AMOLED... and produce an "iPhone Judo".

The "huge" orders are almost certainly from Samsung itself, by the way.

• Reply 25 of 39
    So this isn't rumor, but mere speculation?
  • Reply 26 of 39
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I am sick to death of smartphone screens that stay put when I tap and swipe. I want to feel like I’m writing on Jell-o. And down with durable, solid gorilla glass! Give me a display I can actually dent and crease from normal use! Apple is surely interested in this, coupled with a flexible battery, motherboard and antennas. My next iPhone will double as a dish sponge or I’m going Android!

orrrrrrrr

You may go to an apple store that has a display that curves around over 360 degrees and allows you to rotate it like a carousel and interact with others on all sides of it, swiping things either way.  

Please....don't limit your imagination just cause its Samsung making it. Just cause YOU cant see an application for it doesn't mean Apple cant. 

• Reply 27 of 39
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    madgoat wrote: »
    For those who can't see a use... Earth Final Conflict GlobalLink phones anyone?

LL

I remember the first time I saw that and thought it was so cool. I wondered if we would actually have that kind of technology someday.

Fast forward a decade and half. Here i sit reading a story on the Internet about flexible screens on my iPad and I can think is...meh.

:-p
  • Reply 28 of 39
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Any info on the optical characteristics of the transparency? It's one thing to be allow light through that you can make out objects but another if you want to use is a windshield or glasses.

• Reply 29 of 39
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    iPod nano and Apple TV remote
  • Reply 30 of 39
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member

Quote:

I can think of uses for a flexible display built into a secure, curved space but I can't think of any use for a flexible display that can be manipulated by the user.

Same here. 

Wasn't Apple investigating ways to provide haptic feedback to users for its on-screen keyboard? What if Apple develops a way to use a flexible screen in a way that produces the feel of on-screen keys. I don't know much about these flexible display and their limitations but I wonder if that's where this is going.

• Reply 31 of 39

I built a flexible screen in grad school and showed some applications.  Here is the video:

And the paper:

[PDF]

• Reply 32 of 39
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

I can think of uses for a flexible display built into a secure, curved space but I can't think of any use for a flexible display that can be manipulated by the user.

In larger versions, soldiers could unroll a folded up display packed compactly in their kit...

At consumer grade, once the tech is cheap, the "newspaper" experience could be replicated on a park bench, in the home on the subway, train, plane or bus....

In VR or gaming apps, it could be folded into a standing cylinder you could walk around.  

Not predicting, just saying....

• Reply 33 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

In larger versions, soldiers could unroll a folded up display packed compactly in their kit...

At consumer grade, once the tech is cheap, the "newspaper" experience could be replicated on a park bench, in the home on the subway, train, plane or bus....

In VR or gaming apps, it could be folded into a standing cylinder you could walk around.  

Your examples fit Solipism's point ...  "I can think of uses for a flexible display built into a secure, curved space ..."

• Reply 34 of 39
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Not to pick on you as everyone seems to be making the same mistake here ... 

Samsung has (after years of trying), finally made a display that bends.  This is not the same thing as a display that rolls up or folds, so far these uses are impossible AFAIK.

• Reply 35 of 39
    tunetune Posts: 91member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Not to pick on you as everyone seems to be making the same mistake here ... 

Samsung has (after years of trying), finally made a display that bends.  This is not the same thing as a display that rolls up or folds, so far these uses are impossible AFAIK.

They've had flexible displays for at least 3 years and foldable ones from 4 years ago.

• Reply 36 of 39
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I was just about to say the same thing.  I haven't seen anyone yet come up with any real world application of this technology that's compelling at all.  Perhaps a slightly concave phone screen for better thumb ergonomics, but that's about it. 

Samsung's only idea so far is to have the screen fold over on one side for half a centimetre or so making "side buttons" that are still part of the screen.  A gimmicky thing if ever there was one. 

Bear in mind, the suggested uses at this point are probably thought up by the engineers that created it. They're not the people to go to for innovative uses for new technology; just for creating it.

Besides, it's Samsung. Not exactly the most innovative bunch, when it comes to applying new technology.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Apple OS X modular design provides flexibility that competitors can't imagine.  From Mac Pro to iPad to iPhone to iPod nano the adaptability of the operating system is manifest.  We simply aren't used to this pervasive computing model because no one has had any success (until Apple, recently) with anything other than desktops, laptops and "smartphones."  Until Apple invaded the "smartphone" space computing power in such a small form factor was an issue, one of the next issues will be design limitations of non-flexibility screens.

Oh, the power was there, all along. The problem was no-one was able to conceptualise a smart phone (or tablet, or PDA, or whatnot) as something other than a smaller version of a desktop or laptop computer.

The iPod nano, by the way, doesn't run Mac OS X (or iOS).

.tsooJ

• Reply 37 of 39
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tune View Post

They've had flexible displays for at least 3 years and foldable ones from 4 years ago.

totally missed my point.  flexible is not the same as rollable/foldable. you are wrong about this.

• Reply 38 of 39
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

yeah, sure, Apple is "interested" in the flexible OLED, in the sense of keeping one's enemies closer, but Apple will almost certainly continue to use displays with far better image quality than AMOLED... and produce an "iPhone Judo".

The "huge" orders are almost certainly from Samsung itself, by the way.

AMOLED screens have long considered to be superior to LCD screens in regards to contrast, viewing angle, and power consumption. They lagged behind in pixel density for a while, but that no longer appears to be the case . Exactly what metric do you think LCD's have an edge over AMOLED?

LCDs are soooo last millenium...

• Reply 39 of 39
    tunetune Posts: 91member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post

Besides, it's Samsung. Not exactly the most innovative bunch, when it comes to applying new technology.

Does Apple have anything like this?