Apple to debut thinner Retina Display MacBook Pros at WWDC

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    But surely they'll save some 'wow' for the actual event (besides unveiling the new form factor).

There will be plenty of new HW that goes far beyond a new form factor, but they usually have some new SW feature that requires the new HW. For instance, if they add a new NFC system ingrained with iOS and an Apple backend that could be big. Or the new mapping system might require more power HW or HW designed by Apple and put in the ASIC that means only the new iPhone gets the new 3D mapping*.

Using the Noia Ovi site that uses C3 on my MBP was slow and janky. I'm not sure what is the problem so I can't rule out a need for new HW to power the new mapping software.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

I would love to see Apple ditch the optical drive and go with an SSD + HD type set up for the 15" MBP. I am hoping to be able to get a 120GB SSD plus a 750GB HD. If they dump conventional HDs entirely, I will have a problem because I need the extra space. Adding an external HD isn't an option for me because I want a portable system without having to drag around external devices.

-kpluck

That would be lame.

Sure, Apple wants to make more money from iTunes, but artificially limiting the capability of their laptops to do this? No thanks.

I use my optical drive every day and need to continue to do so for both personal and professional reasons.  A strictly internet or flash drive based directive won't work for me.

I can see it in the Air or an iPad, etc.  But to ditch a useful medium simply to make it thinner cries stupidity. Keep the optical drive in the mainstream laptops please.

also, upgrade them to read Blu-ray already.  sheesh.

• Reply 23 of 37
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    9secondko wrote: »
    That would be lame.

Sure, Apple wants to make more money from iTunes, but artificially limiting the capability of their laptops to do this? No thanks.

I use my optical drive every day and need to continue to do so for both personal and professional reasons.  A strictly internet or flash drive based directive won't work for me.

I can see it in the Air or an iPad, etc.  But to ditch a useful medium simply to make it thinner cries stupidity. Keep the optical drive in the mainstream laptops please.

1) What you'd said was stated by people who were still grasping onto floppy drives years after they should have moved on.

2) It's interesting that you think it's artificially limiting to remove the ODD but it's not not artificially limiting to keep a large (taking up 25% of 13" MBP chassis), noisy, more prone to break due to the moving parts, and power hungry component that very few people use anymore.

3) Blu-ray? Really?!
  • Reply 24 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

I use my optical drive every day and need to continue to do so for both personal and professional reasons.

So spend $25 and get an external drive that would be faster than any internal one Apple offers.

Quote:

I'm quite glad I put down my blueberry pomegranate juice in time. That stuff would have STAINED like no other.

• Reply 25 of 37
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Where's the mileage in that? As tasty as the idea of being able to say, "As of today, we're updating ALL of our Mac models!" is, I just don't see it, particularly when WWDC SHOULD be about OS X and iOS.

Oi, anyone who's paying attention, are the MacBook Air chips out yet?

Because I'm PRETTY sure I've been right all along about what Apple is planning to do, but if the MacBook Air chips have been out for a little while, then I could still be wrong.

The mileage will be demonstrating these new systems, ready-to-go today, capable of developing your Apples with WWDC released toolkit updates on systems capable of taking advantage of Retina Display from your laptop to your iPhone and iPad.

• Reply 26 of 37
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kpluck wrote: »
    I would love to see Apple ditch the optical drive and go with an SSD + HD type set up for the 15" MBP. I am hoping to be able to get a 120GB SSD plus a 750GB HD. If they dump conventional HDs entirely, I will have a problem because I need the extra space. Adding an external HD isn't an option for me because I want a portable system without having to drag around external devices.

-kpluck

If Apple doesn't offer that option in the next MBP, check out Other World Computing. They will sell you a kit to replace the ODD with an SSD so you can get what you're looking for. A 240 GB SSD plus installation kit would cost me $320 - less than paying Apple for a 256 GB SSD ($500). Not only do you save $180, but you get to keep the stock 750 GB drive (you lose the optical drive, though).
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDMBSSD240/
  • Reply 27 of 37

Quote:

Cool, thanks! Do you have a date on that? All I can find is "June 2012".

http://wayerlesslabs.com/intel-ultrabooks-with-ivy-bridge-ulv-arrive-on-june-5/

Intel says that on 5 June this year will be the official date of the debut of its new microprocessor-ULV Ivy Bridge, which will be available in a large variety of at least 75 new models Ultrabooks art, with prices from U.S. $ 699.

• Reply 28 of 37

Quote:

Intel says that on 5 June this year will be the official date of the debut of its new microprocessor-ULV Ivy Bridge, which will be available in a large variety of at least 75 new models Ultrabooks art, with prices from U.S. $ 699.

• Reply 29 of 37

Quote:

I figure the 802.11ac AirPort family can come along at any point in a silent update, though. Unless they get a nice new case redesign with LiquidMetal, that is. Then I'd want to see them highlighted.

• Reply 30 of 37

Quote:

I figure the 802.11ac AirPort family can come along at any point in a silent update, though. Unless they get a nice new case redesign with LiquidMetal, that is. Then I'd want to see them highlighted.

• Reply 31 of 37
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Where's the mileage in that? As tasty as the idea of being able to say, "As of today, we're updating ALL of our Mac models!" is, I just don't see it, particularly when WWDC SHOULD be about OS X and iOS.

Oi, anyone who's paying attention, are the MacBook Air chips out yet?

Because I'm PRETTY sure I've been right all along about what Apple is planning to do, but if the MacBook Air chips have been out for a little while, then I could still be wrong.

Like I said in my other post, digitimes is trolling you. They're just blanketing rumors in case one of them turns out to be true, and they accomplished their goal. The rumors have been reposted all over mac enthusiast sites.

• Reply 32 of 37
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    alansky wrote: »
    So are these new MacBook Pros with the retina display going to come with matching magnifying glasses to help users read the tiny drop-down menus?

Sounds like someone hasn't been playing along at home.

Retina displays come with new graphics so everything is the same size, just crisper

Oh and my money says no to a WWDC reveal. Apple is taking it back to software. The only hardware details they might reveal about anything are those that will be spoiled by the software betas, but that's it
  • Reply 33 of 37
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    3) Blu-ray? Really?!

I kind of feel the same way

But what I would like to see is better audio in the iTunes 1080 files.plus more features sets, multi language audio and subtitles. Required cc in all items as well as getting everything up to 720 and 1080. Plus get the freaking Extras working on Apple TV nd at least the iPad if not the iPhone. Get tv shows to do similar features and get nets like HBO to stop holding episodes for the disc release. Same time international at time of first airing and better pricing wouldn't be bad ever.

If they did all that they could be a viable alternative to cable for many
  • Reply 34 of 37
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

That would be lame.

You are entitled to your preferences. Don't let others here belittle you.

Having said that, don't despair yet. There's a good chance Apple may keep the current versions of MBP (at least the 15") even if they release a new one. So you may have your cake too while others eat thinner slices.

• Reply 35 of 37
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Sounds like someone hasn't been playing along at home.

Retina displays come with new graphics so everything is the same size, just crisper

Oh and my money says no to a WWDC reveal. Apple is taking it back to software. The only hardware details they might reveal about anything are those that will be spoiled by the software betas, but that's it

Not playing along, or perhaps participating in a productive, happy life. There's a universe of intelligent, well-informed people out there who don't follow every nugget of Apple news.

• Reply 36 of 37
    Obviously they will not discontinue the 17" Macbook Pro.

It sits awkward in the portfolio due to its higher mark-up so expect it to be re-positioned in pricing.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

What happens is that the operating system doubles the resolution of user interface elements (fonts, menus, buttons, etc.) when it senses that it is connected to a Retina Display.

Good to know. Thanks!