HTC handsets held up at US customs due to ITC injunction over Apple patent

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then I apologize; I may be confusing you with someone.

Riiigght. . . image

I think it's more a misreading of my intent and attributing much more to my posts than what I actually put in them. We don't all have to be anti-sumwun' do we?

Back on topic it's been reported that the HTC handsets that Customs was taking a look at pass muster just fine, running a customized Android version without the offending data tap function. 

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/16/3024889/htc-one-x-evo-4g-lte-custom-android-build-apple-patent-linkify

• Reply 62 of 73
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Riiigght. . . image

I think it's more a misreading of my intent and attributing much more to my posts than what I actually put in them. We don't all have to be anti-sumwun' do we?

Back on topic it's been reported that the HTC handsets that Customs was taking a look at pass muster just fine, running a customized Android version without the offending data tap function. 

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/16/3024889/htc-one-x-evo-4g-lte-custom-android-build-apple-patent-linkify

Many other sources have reported the same with the opinion that these HTC devices are not in violation of the ITC ruling. I have also definitely noted an uptick in negative Apple sentiment with these articles, especially with the bigger media outlets (WSJ, WP, IW, etc). I guess this was to be expected though since this is the first time these lawsuits have had an actual impact on consumers. Overall, I do not think anyone is going to come out a winner in all of this.

• Reply 63 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

Yeah, but even though that article is about the Galaxy S3 release, addabox is still correct when he says articles on AI "pretty much stick to industry news insofar as it effects Apple". Reading the article clearly relates it to Apple with.....uh......one sec......almost found something.....is this it?.....maybe?!?

This phone "will likely be a major competitor to Apple's iPhone 4S".

Phew...I almost thought AI had gone off the 'Apple track' for a second and put up an article that would have created a situation ripe for squabbling :)

That's about the only thing that it relates to Apple is competition. My point with that thread is that Apple fanboys go off topic and bash everything Android/Google. I don't need to search around and find this for you because it's all over this board in general.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Riiigght. . . image

Of course it's going to pass, this is a simple fix that Apple was hoping would slow down HTC from importing these phones, therefore hurting the consumer like you and I.

Quote:

Many other sources have reported the same with the opinion that these HTC devices are not in violation of the ITC ruling. I have also definitely noted an uptick in negative Apple sentiment with these articles, especially with the bigger media outlets (WSJ, WP, IW, etc). I guess this was to be expected though since this is the first time these lawsuits have had an actual impact on consumers. Overall, I do not think anyone is going to come out a winner in all of this.

Exactly.

• Reply 64 of 73
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luca View Post

I wouldn't say "I still monitor the message boards." For whatever reason yesterday I decided to come back here and just read a bit, I don't know why. I'll probably leave again now. Shouldn't have posted, oh well.

Hey, no offense Luca-- I know you from way back and you just happened to post when I was making a point.  Post more!

• Reply 65 of 73

To re-iterate how bad the tide of public opinion has turned against Apple on this issue, I have decided to take a sample of some of the comments on a general news site covering this topic that allows cheers/jeers ratings. Please keep in mind that these are quoted comments from the articles, and not my own. This is also NOT from any Android fan site. I know this is not a scientific sampling, but I am seeing similar results pretty much everywhere...

"Apple is a fascist organisation, Jobs was their hitler."

45 cheers - 8 jeers

"This is just like suing some other car manufacturer for having round wheels. Come on Apple."

18 cheers - 2 jeers

"Apple are really starting to become annoying. They are now behaving exactly as they used to accuse Microsoft of doing - by using their muscle to try and block innovation and creativity of others, and tie them up in legal battles to prevent them gaining market share. This is not in the interest of consumers!"

47 cheers - 6 jeers

"Apple are developing a new phone now with bigger screen based on the great success of the samsung galaxy. I hope Apple get banned for copying this....fair is fair..."

22 cheers - 3 jeers

I know everyone at AI is rooting for the HTC customs block, but in the REAL world, Apple is coming across as the big bad wolf in this battle. Don't forget that Apple's most valuable asset is their public image. As I said previously, NO ONE is going to come out of this a winner.

• Reply 66 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

That's about the only thing that it relates to Apple is competition. My point with that thread is that Apple fanboys go off topic and bash everything Android/Google. I don't need to search around and find this for you because it's all over this board in general.

I think you mis-understood my comment. It was supposed to have reeked of sarcasm, but it may not have come across as I intended it.

I'll be the first to jump in and say that AI does not focus on 'Apple only' news, but instead, participates in more than their fair share of 'click baiting' articles.

• Reply 67 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

…a sample of some of the comments on a general news site… 

Which site?

The comments show a grand lack of intelligence.

• Reply 68 of 73

If your expecting the general public to have a sound understanding of the topic, prepare to be disappointed TS!

• Reply 69 of 73
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    e_veritas wrote: »
    To re-iterate how bad the tide of public opinion has turned against Apple on this issue, I have decided to take a sample of some of the comments on a general news site covering this topic that allows cheers/jeers ratings. Please keep in mind that these are quoted comments from the articles, and not my own. This is also NOT from any Android fan site. I know this is not a scientific sampling, but I am seeing similar results pretty much everywhere...

"Apple is a fascist organisation, Jobs was their hitler."
    45 cheers - 8 jeers

"This is just like suing some other car manufacturer for having round wheels. Come on Apple."
    18 cheers - 2 jeers

"Apple are really starting to become annoying. They are now behaving exactly as they used to accuse Microsoft of doing - by using their muscle to try and block innovation and creativity of others, and tie them up in legal battles to prevent them gaining market share. This is not in the interest of consumers!"
    47 cheers - 6 jeers

"Apple are developing a new phone now with bigger screen based on the great success of the samsung galaxy. I hope Apple get banned for copying this....fair is fair..."
    22 cheers - 3 jeers

I know everyone at AI is rooting for the HTC customs block, but in the REAL world, Apple is coming across as the big bad wolf in this battle. Don't forget that Apple's most valuable asset is their public image. As I said previously, NO ONE is going to come out of this a winner.

That's misleading. People tend to respond more vigorously with negative comments. The overwhelming majority of the public doesn't know anything about the issue and cares even less.
  • Reply 70 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's misleading. People tend to respond more vigorously with negative comments. The overwhelming majority of the public doesn't know anything about the issue and cares even less.

Maybe so. As I said before, quoting some comments from an article in the tech section of a local TV station website was never offered as 'scientific proof'. I quoted them because they seemed to me to reflect a majority of the comments I am seeing on this issue in non-Apple/Android/Tech sites. I also felt the cheers/jeers aspect was very telling because it is a lower hurdle for participation, minimizing the "vigorous with negative comments" factor, as you put it. It doesn't take a lot of effort to click whether you agree or disagree with something. In the past, the tone of most comments to articles that were critical of Apple have been fairly apathetic, but I have definitely noticed a different tone to this HTC story.

While I agree that the public doesn't know about the issue for the most part, that does not mean they can't forge a perception of Apple as a brand in ignorance...

• Reply 71 of 73
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Quote:

Maybe so. As I said before, quoting some comments from an article in the tech section of a local TV station website was never offered as 'scientific proof'. I quoted them because they seemed to me to reflect a majority of the comments I am seeing on this issue in non-Apple/Android/Tech sites. I also felt the cheers/jeers aspect was very telling because it is a lower hurdle for participation, minimizing the "vigorous with negative comments" factor, as you put it. It doesn't take a lot of effort to click whether you agree or disagree with something. In the past, the tone of most comments to articles that were critical of Apple have been fairly apathetic, but I have definitely noticed a different tone to this HTC story.

While I agree that the public doesn't know about the issue for the most part, that does not mean they can't forge a perception of Apple as a brand in ignorance...

There's never been a time I can remember where any online mention of Apple in any context didn't pull a bunch of negative comments, so pointing to same as an indication of deteriorating public perceptions of Apple over any particular issue isn't very persuasive.  If it were an article on Apple curing cancer the comments would be full of angry jeering and approval of angry jeering.

Meanwhile, Apple has one of the best regarded brands in existence, has stellar customer satisfaction, and is selling gear as fast as they can make it, while expanding their customer based by leaps and bounds.  Some people really hate that and will go out of their way to bash Apple at any opportunity.  Comments in an online article is such an opportunity.

• Reply 72 of 73
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

HTC phones have cleared US customs, according to Taipei Times:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2012/05/21/2003533313

Now everyone can take a breath of relief. Apple's IP is apparently safe and uninfringed.