Samsung value drops $10B as investors fear it being cut out of Apple supply chain

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Cutting Samsung out of their supply chain (as much as possible) would be a much better tact that the lawsuits, IMO. Lawsuits drag on and are creating a negative public perception. Moving to alternative suppliers is just a business decision and will hit Samsung harder.

Negative public perception for who?  A few geeks on the internet?  Seriously, most Americans have no idea that Apple is suing Samsung (and vice versa), nor do they care.  Greenpeace has been railing at Apple for years (usually for invalid reasons) and that hasn't done anything to Apple either.

• Reply 22 of 56
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by animatedude View Post

can't Samsung sue Digitimes? 6% drop because of a rumor that's terrible.

Apple recently suffered an even worse drop due to an even more unverified rumor (that turned out to be a lie, if I remember correctly) and did nothing about it. I don't think anything legal can be done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

He should know because it was one of his iterations that said it lol

Sorry, you've lost me? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by docjrey View Post

WhooooHoooo YEAH!!!! 

This isn't something to be cheering about. It shows the power that absolute liars have over things about which they know nothing.

It doesn't matter that it's Samsung to whom this happened, because it happened to Apple earlier and it can happen to any company.

Time for cheering will be if the rumor reported turns out to be true, but then only as an Apple fan. 

Stock manipulation through blatant lies is never worth praise.

• Reply 23 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I wonder how much GM saying they aren't going to advertise on Facebook impacted that?

...I guess I'll be sticking with Ford, then.

• Reply 24 of 56
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I have this theory that some investors are taking money from various stocks (even Apple), to get money for friday and FB.

That's a very interesting observation. Could be true. At the same time, all stocks are dropping because of global instability.

• Reply 25 of 56
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't even care about what's happening with Samsung's stock. It will come back up. What I'm concerned about is why Apple's stock is dropping so much, with another almost $12 today. There's no good reason for this to be happening.

It's called "profit taking" (and it's also, perhaps, a buying opportunity for the "risk takers". .... and while we're at it, why are you so sure that Samsung will "come back up " while not expressing the same level of confidence for Apple?

• Reply 26 of 56
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/150127/samsung-value-drops-10b-as-investors-fear-it-being-cut-out-of-apple-supply-chain#post_2111301"]I have this theory that some investors are taking money from various stocks (even Apple), to get money for friday and FB.

1) Institutional buyers will account for a lion's share of FB purchases -- my guess is, close to 80%.

2) They're sitting around with a lot of cash.

I don't think that people have to sell AAPL to buy FB.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't even care about what's happening with Samsung's stock. It will come back up. What I'm concerned about is why Apple's stock is dropping so much, with another almost $12 today. There's no good reason for this to be happening.

It was in the charts.

From what I've read it could get close to $500.

This drop was to be expected.

[volume has been relatively light for a while]

• Reply 28 of 56
    melgross wrote: »

Yes, the recent price moves are strange.

I think it presents a fabulous buying opportunity, probably one of the last few to present itself at this level before it gets out of reach..... The next big bump up will be China Mobile, I am guessing.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    It was in the charts.

From what I've read it could get close to $500.

... but this drop was to be expected.

What "charts"? What did they say?
  • Reply 30 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What "charts"? What did they say?

I thought it might happen after the quarterly, that's why I got out... and then some chart readers confirmed my suspicions.

I mentioned it about 3 weeks back... predictions were for $510... something intersects something else etc. etc.  image

I'll see if I can find the articles.

• Reply 31 of 56
    kellya74ukellya74u Posts: 171member

deleted

• Reply 32 of 56
    I thought it might happen after the quarterly, that's why I got out... and then some chart readers confirmed my suspicions.

I mentioned it about 3 weeks back... predictions were for $510... something intersects something else etc. etc.  :lol:

I'll see if I can find the articles.

Oh, don't bother.

I happen to think that technical analysis is a bit of bunk, anyway. :-)
  • Reply 33 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh, don't bother.

I happen to think that technical analysis is a bit of bunk, anyway. :-)

I knew that... hence the way I described it. image

... but it seems to be coming true... wouldn't you say?

• Reply 34 of 56
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Sorry, you've lost me? 

Its a play on his user name solipsism, sol·ip·sism 1. the theory that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist. All conversations a solipsist has are with himself.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Its a play on his user name solipsism, sol·ip·sism 1. the theory that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist. All conversations a solipsist has are with himself.

That's a thinker. Props for that one.

• Reply 36 of 56
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member

I am just awaiting the day that Apple announces that they are contracting with TSMC for their processors. That would be a big chunk of money that Samsung will lose and it will take time to replace. I don't expect this to happen soon, but the sooner, the better. Unless Intel convinces Apple to go with their new low-power chips, but would Intel be willing to manufacture custom chips for Apple?

• Reply 37 of 56
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

Even though Apple is getting other vendors to manufacture their components, their lawsuits against Samsung should still proceed. On the surface, Apple may seem somewhat harsh & be perceived badly, but in looking at the details, the suit seem well founded, & so far, a judge has agreed. If Apple was having Samsung make tee shirts in a certain design, color scheme that lit up with led lights, & Samsung made a very similar clone & sold it cheaper, using the same wiring, battery location, reflective paint, same fonts, etc., it would undercut Apple's business. To have another company make the tee shirts yet let Samsung continue selling their clones unchallenged, is not good business, & rewards bad ethics & bad behavior. The fact that entire cargo containers of Samsung's product can be held up & not offloaded, shows the value & weight of a judge's careful consideration of the facts. There are many who feel its ok to copy someone else's work because they look at their own interests, they want the ship unloaded so they can get their own cheaper phone. To me, that's like buying tools at a swapmeet that were stolen from your neighbors garage....but you got a great deal (sucks to be my neighbor).

In the long run, the lawsuits can be good for all, as it will force Samsung to really invest in R & D & come up with original ideas, rather than tasking their whole team to sit around & wait for Apple to once again, invent something new. Samsung though, probably doesn't sit around, & they probably do everything they can short of (?) industrial espionage, to find out what Apple is making next, so they can tell & R & D to quickly, "make this & patent it if you can," to try & come out first, thereby making Apple possibly looking like it copied Samsung. Many criticizes Apple for being so secretive. Let's see if Samsung comes out with the 'Apple TV' clone  before Apple  releases their invention....or maybe not. Samsung has really produced some excellent quality items, some of their own design. I think they need to have more confidence in their own abilities to be creative, & come up with their own ideas about what people want.

Unfortunately, Samsung tried to come up with their own Operating System, but that failed.    Samsung should be split up whereby the component fabrication companies are not part of the same company.  As much as Apple does in business, they could buy up their own mfg companies.   IBM has their own chip fab to produce chips for a long time.  They, as far as I know, are still making chips for AMD.  I think they still might be making their own X86 Intel chips.  At least they used to do that.

The biggest problem with running your own chip fabrication plants is keeping up with the latest and greatest advancements in order to bring down the size of the transistors, or the when they come with a larger wafers.  It's something Apple could do, if they needed to, but they have to buy the right companies, and probably invest money to keep them up to date, and maybe sell some of their standard components to other companies if they have more yield than they use in their own products.  At least, they'll be able to have more control over their component supply.

• Reply 38 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Sorry, was too busy at work doing productive things than doing a lighting fast response on AI.

My presence is known. Happy?

To believe a rudimentary "publication" like dignities says a lot about the character of those who fall for its "facts" and "insider knowledge".

Boycott dignities!

• Reply 39 of 56

It's a plot. Another 10 billion drop in Samsung's value, and Apple can BUY the whole company, eliminating one of their fiercest competitors, and gaining the ability to manufacture their own processors and displays. 

• Reply 40 of 56
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There were people who said that? I only remember the opposite…

I do recall people saying that apple should bow to samsungs wishes with the fantasy idea that samsung builds the iPad and iPhone lol.  Which is about as far from the truth as you can get.  But most of those were trolls lol.