Class-action suit targets Apple for iCloud downtime

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 124

i am searching about lawsuits against iCloud/apple because, as it says right on the iTunes page, "back up the  most important data on your iPhone to iCloud"  i backed up my entire phone, shortly before it was stolen.  i now need that info, which included photos, for a custody hearing, as the man's child is stuck in Jordan, which is not a party to the Hague Convention, ie it will not return children to US parents.

Unfortunately, I was informed tonight that the entire 16 gig upload of my telephone, which was stolen shortly there after, is not there

Apparently, the back up I did tonight, despite the fact that the "upload to iCloud automatically when..,plugged into computer/tTunes" (i'm not looking that up right now, I am too upset)was turned off.  Apparently, the scores of my spider solitaire games is much more important than the photos of child abuse committed by a kid's mother, who is now stuck in Jordan, without even the american embassy open (as confirmed today by the State Department), to whom we cannot even send money, because he is a minor, photos that could break the 50/50 custody battle, are no longer on iCloud.

I was told tonight, "well, it only keeps things for 30 days."

I saw no disclaimer on the iTunes page.  In fact, at the time my phone was stolen, I didn't HAVE a working computer.

My new iPhone 5 is apparently not working, either. I discovered on July 28 that it does not send tones after calling a company, say Apple, or the phone company, that can be heard by the voice mail prompts.

It was only due to this, that I discovered the cherished and, I thought, "safe" information that had been transferred to iCloud, was no longer existent.  I had deliberately turned it "off" to prevent the loss of any information.

I do not think that being unable to see your son until he comes of age and can leave the middle east on his own is "trivial."

Nowhere that I have seen does it warn people that their information rusted to iCloud will be overwritten by anything from an iPhone, even and ESPECIALLY when one has taken steps to turn off "backups."

Now, if there is an attorney anywhere who would like to take this on, I am very interested.

• Reply 122 of 124
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    caliallye wrote: »
    Apparently, the back up I did tonight, despite the fact that the "upload to iCloud automatically when..,plugged into computer/tTunes" (i'm not looking that up right now, I am too upset)was turned off.

You don't have a case, then.
    I saw no disclaimer on the iTunes page.

You should have looked.
    Nowhere that I have seen does it warn people that their information rusted to iCloud will be overwritten by anything from an iPhone

No one can believe that, because it's the most basic feature of iCloud itself. It's everywhere you read anything about iCloud, both as software or as a feature of hardware.
    even and ESPECIALLY when one has taken steps to turn off "backups."

It explicitly tells you that when you turn backups and syncing off.
    Now, if there is an attorney anywhere who would like to take this on, I am very interested.

Again, no one will take this on. If your personal story is true, it's upsetting, but your reliance on only one source of backup is a failing on your part, not Apple's. Something that important demands multiple physical local backups.
  • Reply 123 of 124
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliallye View Post

i am searching about lawsuits against iCloud/apple because, as it says right on the iTunes page, "back up the  most important data on your iPhone to iCloud"  i backed up my entire phone, shortly before it was stolen.  i now need that info, which included photos, for a custody hearing, as the man's child is stuck in Jordan, which is not a party to the Hague Convention, ie it will not return children to US parents.

Unfortunately, I was informed tonight that the entire 16 gig upload of my telephone, which was stolen shortly there after, is not there

Apparently, the back up I did tonight, despite the fact that the "upload to iCloud automatically when..,plugged into computer/tTunes" (i'm not looking that up right now, I am too upset)was turned off.

it is unfortunate that you are in this situation but if you look at the various terms and conditions you are a tad stuck in regards to lawsuits because Apple is pretty clear that it is up to you to ensure that any highly critical data is protected, not them. 

It also sounds like you may have been a victim of lack of clear understanding of how the various systems work. iCloud backups are not to a computer nor do they involve iTunes and if you turned off the flip switch on your device for iCloud backups and weren't plugging it into a computer then nothing was being backed up. Also, if you are backing up to iCloud it is clearly labeled that it is only when on Wifi and plugged into power and when the last backup was. 

As for the '30 days" that is PhotoStream which is clearly explained in the information on their site for that system. If you were entrusting such important information to such a system it really is on you to understand how it works, not Apple. 

• Reply 124 of 124
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    charlituna wrote: »
    it is unfortunate that you are in this situation but if you look at the various terms and conditions you are a tad stuck in regards to lawsuits because Apple is pretty clear that it is up to you to ensure that any highly critical data is protected, not them. 

It also sounds like you may have been a victim of lack of clear understanding of how the various systems work. iCloud backups are not to a computer nor do they involve iTunes and if you turned off the flip switch on your device for iCloud backups and weren't plugging it into a computer then nothing was being backed up. Also, if you are backing up to iCloud it is clearly labeled that it is only when on Wifi and plugged into power and when the last backup was. 

As for the '30 days" that is PhotoStream which is clearly explained in the information on their site for that system. If you were entrusting such important information to such a system it really is on you to understand how it works, not Apple. 

Besides you can create folders in photo stream which are permanent.