A5X 32nm processor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With the next iPhone launch coming in November... Here's what to expect. As many of you have noticed... LTE technology is in almost all new Androids, so it's time Apple integrates a new LTE/3G chip from Qualcomm, The 7 Series just got upgraded to do just that, so We'll be seeing one of their chipsets in it. Along with communications technology Bluetooth 4.0 has been released, so that's another plus for sharing files around you. The new iPhone in order to preserve battery will include a new processor dubbed the A5X (may change name) but it will incorporate an Imagination Technologies V6 Series Arm GPU. This chip will be made using 32nm process by Samsung ( Late reports show the A5 chip made already with 32nm technology, showing boosts in uptime so there's no reason why they would use anything else). Along with all the new chips inside... The most important ones would be the last two. The V6 Series Chip from Imagination technologies is 20x faster at handling graphics and 100x more efficient than it's iPhone 4S predeccessor, which was 7x faster than the iPhone 4's gpu. With this new gpu chip in place.. It gives developers the ability to use Open GL 2.0 technologies with pixel shader ( like those found in the xbox 360 games) to build amazing apps that run smooth and games that can run live multiplayer. Apple recently bought a company named Chomp, for use to index it's App Store, so expect an overhaul to it's iOS App Store in the near future. They also hired an ex- Palm UI designer, to design newer navigation menu's and a faster app switching method, one that looks like the one found in Palms OS. Siri, will add support for commands such as Take a photo and Play me some (band name here) and with the new Mac Lion being released around Fall with the upcoming Airs with retina displays, that's bound to get siri as well at one point... It will be the biggest iPhone and Mac Launch ever. The design, as Jony Ives decide to make it, will hopefully be a unibody gorilla glass 2 front design that incorporates the feel of the iPhone 1's aluminum back and the shape of the iPad 2 round wedge shaped edges.Or if they wanted to be nanochromatic, it would come in different colors like the ones found in the iPod nano 5th generation with the iPad edge design. Thanks to inhouse cell touch technology and new haptic feedback... We might be also able to "feel" our phones ui. The new technology allows you to feel buttons or textures predefined with electronic sensors that send signals to the brain that make you feel you're touching something in a virtual screen ui. For example hitting a virtual keyboard key, you're brain will tell you it's a real one. And lastly... The nano sim card, new screen, the new speakers, new front facing camera, and new dock connector to support USB 3.0. The new sim card is smaller, the new front facing camera allows for lte video calls and recognizes facial features to unlock your phonen and the dock allows for even faster transfer to your pc or mac. Expect the design to be atleast 2mm thinner than the iPhone 4S, and boast a larger 4 inch screen possibly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

With the next iPhone launch coming in November... 

October.

Quote:

Here's what to expect. 

You don't actually know anything about it.

Quote:

Along with communications technology Bluetooth 4.0 has been released, so that's another plus for sharing files around you.

Well, yeah. It's already in the iPhone 4S…

Quote:

The new iPhone in order to preserve battery will include a new processor dubbed the A5X… …will be made using 32nm process… 

Except you don't know that.

Quote:

The V6 Series Chip from Imagination technologies is 20x faster at handling graphics and 100x more efficient than it's iPhone 4S predeccessor, which was 7x faster than the iPhone 4's gpu.

Citation needed, but I sort of remember that.

Quote:

They also hired an ex- Palm UI designer, to design newer navigation menu's and a faster app switching method, one that looks like the one found in Palms OS.

Except you don't know that.

Quote:

Siri, will add support for commands such as Take a photo and Play me some (band name here)

Except you don't know that. And the latter already works… 

Quote:

the new Mac Lion being released around Fall with the upcoming Airs with retina displays, that's bound to get siri as well at one point...

Except you don't know that and retina is extremely unlikely.

Quote:

The design, as Jony Ives and Philipe decide to make it…

And WHO?

Quote:

new haptic feedback...

Except you don't know that and that's ludicrously unlikely.

Quote:

And lastly... The nano sim card, new screen, the new speakers, new front facing camera, and new dock connector to support USB 3.0.

In this order, probably, maybe, why, maybe, how's Thunderbolt sound, and finally, you know none of this.

Quote:

…the new front facing camera allows for lte video calls… 

Except the camera has nothing to do with that… 

Quote:

…recognizes facial features to unlock your phonon…

Except you don't know that and it's somewhat unlikely.

Quote:

Expect the design to be at least 2mm thinner than the iPhone 4S...

Eww. It's thin enough.

Quote:

…16:9…

Ha, no.

An interesting first post, to say the least. Never give up on your predictions! Just don't write them as though they're fact.

• Reply 2 of 25
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Smells like a weird spambot actually...didn't we see another one of these 1st post prediction things?

• Reply 3 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Smells like a weird spambot actually...didn't we see another one of these 1st post prediction things?

I know, but the text doesn't show up anywhere else that Google has cached, at least. It reads just like some news article that has been copied and pasted, doesn't it?

Ah, yeah. Go read its second post. How stupid do you have to be to believe the iPod classic is getting ANY of that? 

It's definitely some sort of spam, but apparently it's too dumb to actually link anywhere… image I'll leave the posts up unless it comes back, I think. That way if anyone stumbles upon any of the same ideas it has had, they can see them rebutted.

• Reply 4 of 25
    strat09strat09 Posts: 158member

@Tallest Skil I'm sure not everything I predict is true, but all the chips I mentioned are real and have every chance to be used in the next iPhone. And all I predicted was done through my research of companies previously used by Apple and their independent work. I'm not saying you'll get blown away by all this "new" technology, because its already present in some products, and apple making it mainstream is just a way for me to tell you, it will happen when it does. Besides, if it doesn't so what. Apple's products are by far more advanced and simplified than any other company out there, the iTV is just another example, Samsung made something similar to it, but people don't need it, and neither do they need any of Apple's. People innovate to create because they love to see people's reactions. You're just a downer in every way and don't deserve to know any of the work being made by Apple.

• Reply 5 of 25

@Tallest Skil I'm sure not everything I predict is true, but all the chips I mentioned are real and have every chance to be used in the next iPhone. And all I predicted was done through my research of companies previously used by Apple and their independent work. I'm not saying you'll get blown away by all this "new" technology, because its already present in some products, and apple making it mainstream is just a way for me to tell you, it will happen when it does. Besides, if it doesn't so what. Apple's products are by far more advanced and simplified than any other company out there, the iTV is just another example, Samsung made something similar to it, but people don't need it, and neither do they need any of Apple's. People innovate to create because they love to see people's reactions. You're just a downer in every way and don't deserve to know any of the work being made by Apple.

• Reply 6 of 25

Quote:

…all the chips I mentioned are real and have every chance to be used in the next iPhone.

You're right about that, I'll give you that one.

Quote:

…the iTV is just another example…

That will (should) never exist… image

Quote:

You're just a downer in every way and don't deserve to know any of the work being made by Apple.

No, I'm just a realist in every way and know better the work made by Apple than some.

• Reply 7 of 25

Realists don't have imagination... moderate that.

• Reply 8 of 25

Also tell me how an Apple product is made... I want to hear this.

• Reply 9 of 25

Quote:

Realists don't have imagination... 

No, that's not the case at all.

Quote:

…moderate that.

Look, you seem to be sore that we thought your post was spam. I apologize completely.

Quote:

That doesn't have anything to do with the discussion at hand, and it's at best a tangent from your original statement. I'm not going to waste my time typing out how metals are mined, processed, shaped into componentry, assembled, tested, packaged, and shipped, nor am I going to expound on the creative process at Apple that designs the hardware and software of these products. This cursory overview I've just given you is as far as I'll go with that. image

• Reply 10 of 25
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member
    strat09 wrote: »

Snap!
  • Reply 11 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're right about that, I'll give you that one.

That will (should) never exist… image

No, I'm just a realist in every way and know better the work made by Apple than some.

@Tallest Skil I'll ignore this claim because I'm sure you don't work for Apple and probably don't even know about the work Jony Ives bases his on. I'll give you a hint. It's by someone who worked for B_ _ _ _. Let alone... I'm sure you don't know what you're talking about half the time, you just want to be right all the time. I for one don't like you and consider you a lousy agressive idealist who should spend his time elsewhere.

• Reply 12 of 25

Quote:

@Tallest Skil I'll ignore this claim because I'm sure you don't work for Apple and probably don't even know about the work Jony Ives bases his on. I'll give you a hint. It's by someone who worked for B_ _ _ _. Let alone... I'm sure you don't know what you're talking about half the time, you just want to be right all the time. I for one don't like you and consider you a lousy agressive idealist who should spend his time elsewhere.

Look, you're upset and you're going about this entirely the wrong way. I'm going to ignore this nonsense, because that's all it is.

Don't hesitate to keep predicting in the future, but don't pass your prediction off as fact. If you have a source or reason for your belief, link to it. But don't just write in the style of a mock news article and then go ballistic when you get criticized.

• Reply 13 of 25

Look, you're upset and you're going about this entirely the wrong way. I'm going to ignore this nonsense, because that's all it is.

Don't hesitate to keep predicting in the future, but don't pass your prediction off as fact. If you have a source or reason for your belief, link to it. But don't just write in the style of a mock news article and then go ballistic when you get criticized.

@ Talest Skil I'm not upset... and I'm sorry I can write professionally. But for future innovations stay off my posts... I don't need some pathethic moderator telling me what is and what isn't going to happen. I'm not bashing you... just how I see things.

• Reply 14 of 25

Quote:

But for future innovations stay off my posts... I don't need some pathethic moderator telling me what is and what isn't going to happen. I'm not bashing you... just how I see things.

I think I'll weigh in my opinion, just like everyone else, thanks. image

• Reply 15 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member

PowerVR 6 graphics would be absolutely fantastic!! 

• Reply 16 of 25

Quote:

@Tallest Skil I'm sure not everything I predict is true, but all the chips I mentioned are real and have every chance to be used in the next iPhone. 

Except this isn't strictly true...the chips you mention don't exist as such.  The A5X has a SGC543MP4.  If the next iPhone SOC has Series 6 GPU cores it's not a A5X anymore.  It's likely an A6.  Nor is 32nm a guarantee.  It could be on the 28nm process.  It''s likely that it will remain an Cortex A9 based SOC but it has a vague chance of being Cortex A15 based.

So really nothing you wrote is certain or more likely than some other combination of choices.  The MOST likely is not an 32nm A5X variant but a 28nm/32nm A5.  There's also no certainty that Samsung will be the fab...TSMC has been showing 3.1Ghz 28nm Cortex A9 and has been working on their 20nm ARM process.  The biggest question regarding TSMC is whether they can achieve the volumes required given the yield.  Given Samsung and Apple's recent history I wouldn't be at all surprised if TSMC has been working hard to win the A6 contract and a successful A5 or A5X process shrink is a good step in the right direction.

Most likely we'll see the Series 6 appear on the A6 with a quad core Cortex A15 in the next iPad.

What you wrote wasn't innovative but speculative and not very much at that.  And it's one huge paragraph mish-mashed with weirdly wrong statements like how the Series 6 gives game devs "the ability to use Open GL technologies to build amazing apps that run smooth".  OpenGL is ALREADY being used to write games on the iPhone A5 and they ALREADY run smooth. 

Philippe Starck is NOT working on any Apple products but a Yacht.  He's not working with or for Ives...at least according to Apple.

Apple hired Dellinger (ex-Palm) TWO years ago who did notifications and not app switching.  

They hired aspiring designer Jan-Michael Cart for his app switching mockup as an intern...which looks Palm like (from the fling up to get rid of) but he's still in school (junior I think) and not ex-Palm.

These things are wrong, not innovative and I'm guessing (hoping) that English is not your native language.

And it has been widely reported that Dieter Rams is one of Ives' major influences and hardly some secret.

• Reply 17 of 25

Quote:

The MOST likely is not an 32nm A5X variant but a 28nm/32nm A5.

But there has to be SOME sort of improvement on the chip. We'd get less power draw from that solution, but that's about it. Apple hasn't kept the same chip between generations since the iPhone 3G, and, you know, they don't have to change every time, but recently they've been banking on that.

Is a 28nm A5X out of the question? I realize how huge it is, so wouldn't they just shrink it? It doesn't need as powerful a graphics portion as the iPad, but it could at least get some improvements there.

• Reply 18 of 25

Quote:

But there has to be SOME sort of improvement on the chip. We'd get less power draw from that solution, but that's about it. Apple hasn't kept the same chip between generations since the iPhone 3G, and, you know, they don't have to change every time, but recently they've been banking on that.

Is a 28nm A5X out of the question? I realize how huge it is, so wouldn't they just shrink it? It doesn't need as powerful a graphics portion as the iPad, but it could at least get some improvements there.

It'll be what?  40% smaller?  Off the cuff guess, I haven't done the math.

Nothing is out of the question...that's kinda the point.  We have too little data to make anything other than a semi-educated wild ass guess.  Only Apple and TSMC knows their yield rates for 28nm A5/A5X/A6 processors.  Likewise only Samsung and Apple knows the yield rates for 32nm.  Just being able to do low volume production can't meet Apple's needs so what ends up in the final product has little to do with what chips folks are sampling.

Moving to a 32/28nm A5 for better power efficiency offsets the power requirements for LTE without a larger battery right?  They might be able to clock it a little higher too and get the same run time.

LTE is likely the big selling point for the next iPhone.

• Reply 19 of 25

They are using technology from imagination technologies... I already mentioned it in my "news article" that you thought was spam.

• Reply 20 of 25

Quote:

Except this isn't strictly true...the chips you mention don't exist as such.  The A5X has a SGC543MP4.  If the next iPhone SOC has Series 6 GPU cores it's not a A5X anymore.  It's likely an A6.  Nor is 32nm a guarantee.  It could be on the 28nm process.  It''s likely that it will remain an Cortex A9 based SOC but it has a vague chance of being Cortex A15 based.

So really nothing you wrote is certain or more likely than some other combination of choices.  The MOST likely is not an 32nm A5X variant but a 28nm/32nm A5.  There's also no certainty that Samsung will be the fab...TSMC has been showing 3.1Ghz 28nm Cortex A9 and has been working on their 20nm ARM process.  The biggest question regarding TSMC is whether they can achieve the volumes required given the yield.  Given Samsung and Apple's recent history I wouldn't be at all surprised if TSMC has been working hard to win the A6 contract and a successful A5 or A5X process shrink is a good step in the right direction.

Most likely we'll see the Series 6 appear on the A6 with a quad core Cortex A15 in the next iPad.

What you wrote wasn't innovative but speculative and not very much at that.  And it's one huge paragraph mish-mashed with weirdly wrong statements like how the Series 6 gives game devs "the ability to use Open GL technologies to build amazing apps that run smooth".  OpenGL is ALREADY being used to write games on the iPhone A5 and they ALREADY run smooth. 

Philippe Starck is NOT working on any Apple products but a Yacht.  He's not working with or for Ives...at least according to Apple.

Apple hired Dellinger (ex-Palm) TWO years ago who did notifications and not app switching.  

They hired aspiring designer Jan-Michael Cart for his app switching mockup as an intern...which looks Palm like (from the fling up to get rid of) but he's still in school (junior I think) and not ex-Palm.

These things are wrong, not innovative and I'm guessing (hoping) that English is not your native language.

And it has been widely reported that Dieter Rams is one of Ives' major influences and hardly some secret.

Open GL 2.0 with pixel shader support comes in the Power VR 6 Series chip.. and Apple did buy in when the technology was introduced. There were articles about it floating around. 6 companies in total bought into it. Samsung was one of them. 

And yupp. Deiter Rams was right. But 3.1GHZ 28 nm processors sound very unlikely if they have the vr series 6 chip in the device. So it will most likely sport a 32nm A6 or 28nm A6 1GHZ underclocked at 800 mhz and increases with data usage to 1.1GHZ because a phone doesn't really need that much power... my iPhone 4 runs the A4 chip perfectly.