A5X 32nm processor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

They are using technology from imagination technologies... I already mentioned it in my "news article" that you thought was spam.

It's not a "news article" it was a largely unreadable forum post with many inaccuracies.

• Reply 22 of 25
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

Open GL 2.0 with pixel shader support comes in the Power VR 6 Series chip.. and Apple did buy in when the technology was introduced. There were articles about it floating around. 6 companies in total bought into it. Samsung was one of them. 

And yupp. Deiter Rams was right. But 3.1GHZ 28 nm processors sound very unlikely if they have the vr series 6 chip in the device. So it will most likely sport a 32nm A6 or 28nm A6 1GHZ underclocked at 800 mhz and increases with data usage to 1.1GHZ because a phone doesn't really need that much power... my iPhone 4 runs the A4 chip perfectly. 

OpenGL ES 2.0 has been out since 2007.  All of the SGX (current Series 5) chips have supported it as well as pixel shader support with their USSE.  The 535 in the A4 and the 543MP2 in the A5 supports DX 9, OpenGL 2.1 and OpenGL ES 2.0. 

The Series 6 supports OpenGL ES 3.0 and up to OpenGL 4.x on some models.  And the first SOC announced using Series 6 wont be out until 2013.

The 3.1Ghz A9 is a sample to demonstrate TSMC's 28nm prowess and how much headroom the 28nm provides vs 40nm.

Production wise I expect to see A9s SOCs until probably near the end of 2012 when the first A15s start shipping.  Most or all of those will have a Series 5 GPUs if the 2013 timeline is correct.  Apple is secretive and could beat ST-Ericsson to A15 + Series 6 but I wouldn't be a lot of money on it.  Nokia will need a lot fewer of the LP9600s than Apple will need A6s so Nokia can afford to go top end faster even if yields are low. 

What I write isn't "news" but idle speculation.  What you write isn't "news" either but simply wrong.

• Reply 23 of 25

Recently it came to light, that the new Apple TV houses a new A5 single core chip, built using a 32nm fabrication process. Now, news that the newest discounted iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi that’s sold for $399 in the US, indicates it too will use a chip made with the 32nm process.

Why is this aspect important for users? Well because this new chip might improve battery life for iPad users exists. This theory is backed up by the fact that a smaller processor might lower power consumption, thus improving your battery life.

After Apple launched its new tablet featuring an A5X processor and a gorgeous Retina Display, it immediately cut down prices for the version of the popular iPad 2. However, there was a little tweak added to the deal. Apple switched the 45nm A5 processor for a new shiny 32nm A5. The same processor might be incorporated into the next generation iPhone 5 as well.

Reportedly users shopping for an iPad 2 will experience up to 15.8% of battery life improvements while browsing the web, 29% while playing games like Angry Birds and 18% in video streaming.

It is highly unlikely that the A5 architecture has suffered major surgery, so the smaller and improved 32nm process can be held accountable for the longer battery life experienced by users. Most likely, Apple is testing 32nm territory, months ahead of implementing it into the next generation iPhone.

• Reply 25 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Any reason you're reposting from iPadForums?

http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipad-news/75101-new-32nm-a5-chip-discounted-ipad-2-might-improve-battery-life.html

Thanks for catching that! If you see any more in the future, go ahead and report it as advertising or spam.

You can generally pick out the feel for them pretty well, and if you grab a sentence or so and run a quoted search for that sentence, any reposting will show up like a rose in a sea of daisies.