iOS developers not concerned about Apple making a larger iPhone screen

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    tokenusertokenuser Posts: 69member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

This is a craptastic looking app.  Catering to the needs of craptastic app designers is probably not the way for Apple to go.

Craptacular though it may be, it is an example of an app that would probably just work - and add another line of content to the scrollable section of the screen.

To be fair, a similar application on Android would do the same and use the available space correctly as well.

I suspect that the current apps will either scale (if they have a resizable content section) to fill the screen correctly, and perform in a manner consistent with the developers intention, or they will be letterboxed, which wouldn't be too bad either. 

• Reply 42 of 98
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tcphoto wrote: »
    If I understand the Developers response correctly, they want your money but they don't want to earn it. It's not like there are hundreds of different devices that their apps are running on. If the next iPhone has a different size and resolution, that brings the total to three right?

So some devs are not worried about how Apple will handle the issue and you've concluded it means they are lazy? There is a reason the App Store is a superior experience on mobile devices and it's not because devs are too lazy to spend most of their development time coding for, debugging and testing an excessive number of HW configurations.
  • Reply 43 of 98
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member

As long as you're not hard-coding screen sizes or positions/sizes of elements in your code (and with rare exception, you shouldn't be) then this is pretty much a non-issue. I ported my game from iPad to iPhone/iPod Touch in about an hour. Differing screen sizes is indeed a form of fragmentation and does affect developers but it's minor, and if you're smart (i.e., not sloppy) about how you organize your projects and write code, it's not that big a deal. 

• Reply 44 of 98
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

This is a craptastic looking app.  Catering to the needs of craptastic app designers is probably not the way for Apple to go.

It's an app for a local news station, not everyone has a large budget for iPhone apps. As a free app that displays information I find it satisfactory. My two favorite News apps are News 360 and Pulse though. I think having a larger screen is really going to be a huge improvememt for reading in general. I'm sorry but 3.5" is really on the small side now. I know it's popular with you die hards but I think apps will look much better and will be easier to read. 

• Reply 45 of 98
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    If Apple makes a 4" iPhone and keeps the same 3:2 aspect ratio.... apps won't really have to do much to adjust to that.

However... if Apple decides to change the aspect ratio... it [U]will[/U] take some work for developers to re-build their apps. But developers will certainly adapt... they'd be crazy not to.

The good thing is... Apple will stick to that new aspect ratio for a while.

The original 3:2 aspect ratio lasted for 5 years.
  • Reply 46 of 98
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Beats developing for a platform with fragmentation in the thousands.

So you have to turn a article regarding a larger iPhone screen into Android hate fest?

• Reply 47 of 98
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

So you have to turn a article regarding a larger iPhone screen into Android hate fest?

Because you've certainly never done the opposite.

• Reply 48 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because you've certainly never done the opposite.

Proof? Nothing wrong with holding Apple, any company in fact, accountable for their actions and that applies to good and bad.

• Reply 49 of 98
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

If Apple makes a 4" iPhone and keeps the same 3:2 aspect ratio.... apps won't really have to do much to adjust to that.

However... if Apple decides to change the aspect ratio... it will take some work for developers to re-build their apps. But developers will certainly adapt... they'd be crazy not to.

The good thing is... Apple will stick to that new aspect ratio for a while.

The original 3:2 aspect ratio lasted for 5 years.

That is true if and only if the resolution remains the same. If Apple raises the resolution in any way, older apps will be window boxed (black borders in all 4 sides), much like how iPhone apps look in iPad. Scaling apps in a ratio other than 2 multiplier results in artifacts of some sort.

• Reply 50 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by filburt View Post

That is true if and only if the resolution remains the same. If Apple raises the resolution in any way, older apps will be window boxed (black borders in all 4 sides), much like how iPhone apps look in iPad. Scaling apps in a ratio other than 2 multiplier results in artifacts of some sort.

I would be very surprised if they didn't raise the resolution as they wouldn't want to drop the DPI.

• Reply 51 of 98
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    filburt wrote: »

Yeah... I was figuring they would keep the same resolution... with the caveats I describe below.

fredaroony wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if they didn't raise the resolution as they wouldn't want to drop the DPI.

There are tradeoffs: a change in resolution really affects developers... while keeping the same resolution on a larger screen lowers DPI slightly.

If we're talking about a bump from 3.5" to 4" how bad will that drop in DPI really be? I bet it will still look amazing.

There are still phones out there with 800x480 on 4.3" screens.
  • Reply 52 of 98
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Proof? Nothing wrong with holding Apple, any company in fact, accountable for their actions and that applies to good and bad.

So now you're saying what you thought shouldn't be said?

No company exists by itself. It's the comparison to others that makes one company better or worse.
  • Reply 53 of 98
    filburt wrote: »

What would be the point in changing the Rez? The small drop in ppi wouldn't be noticeable. When the 4 first came out, there were articles and posts from uninformed individuals about how the Rez wasn't high enough. In reality, it's higher than needed to be a retina display.

So a 4" screen might be held 12" away instead of 10 or 11". The apparent Rez will remain the same, and all will be well in the world. I'm typing on my new iPad right now with its 264ppi display, and I'm about 12" away now. Darned if it doesn't look like a retina display from that distance!

So again, why would Apple want to raise the Rez of what is already a retina display, as no one could see those pixels anyway?
  • Reply 54 of 98
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Do you have any understanding of APIs and software development? Or do you just post trolling comments for laughs? Either way, no developer anywhere checks 200 devices, and nor is there a reason to.

That's true - they don't check 200 devices - which is why Android is such a crap shoot.

kpluck wrote: »
    If they keep the same aspect ratio and resolution why would any apps need to be modified? As far as the apps are concern, nothing has changed in that scenario.

By the way, I think that is exactly what Apple will do. Going to 4" isn't enough of increase to justify changing the resolution or aspect ratio. Apple will still call it a retina display with the spin that since the screen is bigger, you won't be holding it as close which means the resolution can be less.

-kpluck

Only a few pas would need to be changed - such as a ruler app.

I doubt it. Keep in mind that 'retina display' depends on viewing distance. You may hold a larger phone far enough away.

In any event, I don't think it would matter. They would just quit talking about 'retina display' and few people would notice the difference.
  • Reply 55 of 98

I would be very surprised if they raised the Rez as no one could see it anyway, and it would really mess things up for no reason.
  • Reply 56 of 98
    caldencalden Posts: 13member

This is great news, 4+ inches. I recently purchased an iPhone 4s to replace my missing Samsung S2. After playing with it for about a week now I returned it today. My biggest complaint, the screen was; way, way to small. I'm not sure if any of you read my first post but I also missed having a file manager and a MiniSD card. I took the leap and installed Jail Break, big, big difference, if you own a iPhone and haven't done it yet, do it. Without it the iPhone for me anyway was really unusable. Anyway I found a program called iFile which was a big help, not very feature reach or even close to the quality of file managers that are available on Android for instance FX File-Manager but enough to appease me. I also was able to install Midnight Commander which is way awesome. Anyway, So I decided to wait for the new one, I bought a used LG Optimus 7 for 50 dollars off of Ebay as an interim phone. I'm not sure why I bought the iPhone 4s in the first place, I knew when I was playing with it at the Apple store that I thought it was way to small for my needs but all of my friends had one and swore by them. There was a guy on here, I think Tallest something, he was right all I needed was some time with it to get to like it. I really do like the interface, it's quick, pretty, great apps albeit expensive compared to Android, actually twice the price for a lot of the apps, I think I already spent something like 80 bucks on the same apps that cost me less then half then that on Android. I can live with that though for a stable system which was my biggest gripe with Android, and battery life, no problem. Android I still think is a lot more feature rich but you pay a price for that in stability. I will defiantly pick up the new iPhone 5 when it comes out, that's if the rumors are true, 4 inches baby come on. Sorry if I sound snooty, I've read a lot of your posts and most of you are pretty militant when it comes to people having a negative opinion towards the iPhone. Well I don't have a negative attitude it's just different, I've owned Mac computers for a long time. The iPhone 4s though was my first phone from them and I wasn't to impressed but I have no doubt with a larger screen and the new iOS6 I will be a content person. Still wish they would give us a MiniSD card though, I own like 12 cards now, ranging from 16GB to 64GB. What the heck am I going to do with them all.

• Reply 57 of 98

"That model marked the debut of Apple's "Retina display" branding, which packs twice the pixels of the iPhone 3GS screen into the same screen size."

Pardon my being pedantic, but the number of pixels was quadrupled, the resolution was doubled.

• Reply 58 of 98
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If Apple increase the screen size from 3.5" to 4", the change is small enough that they could keep the same resolution and aspect ratio and then 99% of apps wouldn't need to be modified at all. That's the most likely scenario if they do increase the screen size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

If they keep the same aspect ratio and resolution why would any apps need to be modified? As far as the apps are concern, nothing has changed in that scenario.

By the way, I think that is exactly what Apple will do. Going to 4" isn't enough of increase to justify changing the resolution or aspect ratio. Apple will still call it a retina display with the spin that since the screen is bigger, you won't be holding it as close which means the resolution can be less.

-kpluck

I do not see any point in increasing size without increasing resolution.

The only reason I need my screen bigger is to have more information available (less zooming and scrolling in Safari, more details and no black bars for HD content) 

And I just can't believe Apple will do such a gimmick move that is "You needed a bigger screen here it is... It's not as sharp as on iPhone-4 but still qualifies for Retina". It is not Apple-like at all.

• Reply 59 of 98
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanimal View Post

Pardon my being pedantic, but the number of pixels was quadrupled, the resolution was doubled.

I'm surprised yours was the first post to mention it. That was something of a hobby here not to long ago, pointing out that it's 2x res, 4x pix.

• Reply 60 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Beats developing for a platform with fragmentation in the thousands.

Your statement is well supported in this article: http://opensignalmaps.com/reports/fragmentation.php

Quote:

Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

Exactly. Android is a nightmare like Symbian used to be.

Totally this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

It isn't that hard to deal with. Certainly no more difficult than the PC used to be.

Then you haven't perused this article: http://opensignalmaps.com/reports/fragmentation.php

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Having to check 200 devices to make sure your application works isn't a thing like Windows development.

It's actually much more than that: http://opensignalmaps.com/reports/fragmentation.php

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

At least you don't have to overhaul the UI every time you need to change the resolution of the device.

Huh? What you talking 'bout, boy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Do you have any understanding of APIs and software development? Or do you just post trolling comments for laughs? Either way, no developer anywhere checks 200 devices, and nor is there a reason to.

If they don't, then they should. http://opensignalmaps.com/reports/fragmentation.php

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You are correct that no developer checks 200 (or more) devices, because they can't afford the hardware or the time. But it doesn't equal to not needing to actually check all of those or that their apps will work on all the various arrangements because they checked 3 or 4. And actual Android developers will tell you this. Which is why some of them are very specific that their apps are only for X Y and Z hardware and why others have actually gotten out of Android development and just stick with iOS. 

You said it all right there! And even those who write for a few different hardware handsets are not making the money they could with iOS app development. No one is happy with the money they make with Android, including Google.