Jury finds Google Android didn't violate Oracle's patents

Comments

• Reply 21 of 177
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Maybe you don't know what trolling means?

Screen Shot 2012-05-23 at 5.33.53 PM.png

Do you meant to imply I'm lying about what I've said in reply?

• Reply 22 of 177
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

Android doesn't look anywhere near iOS or the feel of a crappy iOS product. This is because Android is OPEN for changes all the time from it's users to make the OS better from one release after another. Don't say Apple doesn't copy from other OS' innovations..

If Oracle gets their way and Android is brought into the Java fold under GPL, then Android will become truly open with no proprietary parts.

This is what Google fears the most and fights so hard to avoid.

Google's version of "open" is marketing spin.

It would be very hard to find a jury who is unbiased toward Google as they march on to control what people find on the Internet.

• Reply 23 of 177
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    hill60 wrote: »
    If Oracle gets their way and Android is brought into the Java fold under GPL, then Android will become truly open with no proprietary parts.

And exactly what parts of AOSP are proprietary?

And how can Oracle gets their way now?
  • Reply 24 of 177
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View PostBut Motorola (a division of Google) is not winning its cases...  here is another fun one to watch.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Microsoft-Wins-Patent-Suit-Against-Motorola-Android-Handsets-808814/

Motorola is not owned by Google - Motorola Mobility (a division of Motorola) is owned by Google.

• Reply 25 of 177
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Where's SockRolid who swore up and down this lawsuit would be the death of Android?
  • Reply 26 of 177
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post

Android doesn't look anywhere near iOS or the feel of a crappy iOS product. This is because Android is OPEN for changes all the time from it's users to make the OS better from one release after another. Don't say Apple doesn't copy from other OS' innovations..

android isn't open and only a minority will try to change what they got on their smartphone, because:

-you shouldn't have to do it;

-it is not worthy.

-it is, basically, a way to kill time for a few random people.. usually "basement" people.

android has it's strengths and for sure it has is own place. I prefer the current iOS and respective devices, but i cannot justify any high end mobile device right now. So android it is for me.

I condemn google's (and the other OEMs positions) positions, but once you (me) learn to look at the forest, we see how good android is to 95% of those working in the tech industry.

they (OEMs) were totally defeated by apple and had to abandon profits and change the way they do business, but thanks to android they can survive. thanks to android, new companies will have the chance to innovate and emerge. thanks to android, apple will be better and do better things.

If android would be terminated, how many would suffer? how much direct/indirect innovation would cease to appear? have you guys read about sony and HP(as well as moto)?

I admire microsoft. I hope one day i can say that i admire google. 

• Reply 27 of 177
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Small victory for Google, but they are so not out of the woods yet.

Small victory??!

This is a huge victory for Google... unless, of course, the countless threads of how this would be the end of Android don't count for anything.

• Reply 28 of 177
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

it's better this way...

everyone (besides oracle) wins with an healthy android, even we, apple users.

personally i only care about what i use, and if there's a way to make better tech (i don't care about who sues who, really. they are huge companies..) i'm all for it.

now let's hope they push apple to it's limits so we can get amazing products and not another "windows era".

apple is suffocating them... really. it's not healthy.

The only problem is with your logic...  Apple is self-motivated to provide the solutions that they desire -- they aren't driven by competitors.

• Reply 29 of 177
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

For the lawsuit that was proclaimed to be the 'death of android,' this sure fizzled out embarrassingly for Oracle. I was honestly expecting a ruling more in their (Oracle's) favor; though I fear that such a ruling, especially on the copyright portion would have had drastic effects on the industry as a whole.

I'm surprised they outright cancelled the damages phase of the lawsuit. I would've expected at least a show trial for Oracle, considering they did get a pretty clear ruling on the infringement of the 9 lines of code in the rangeCheck function.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I agree.

No surprise that the fandroids came out to infest this thread.  Small victory for Google, but they are so not out of the woods yet.

Android is a sham of a system.  Get real competition into the marketplace.  Not some botched copy of iOS.  WebOS, Win8, etc... at least they had the guts to make a go of it.  

As someone who has used both iOS and Android, the similarities end with the App drawer. And how can I take you seriously when you claim that WebOS is not a copy of iOS while Android is, considering that WebOS devices share so much more in common with iOS devices than Android does.

• Reply 30 of 177
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Have you actually used a Android device at length or are you just talking out of your arse? I would expect the latter...

Every OS has good and bad points but to label anything as a "sham of a system" just makes you look stupid.

It;s not so much the validity of Android as an OS...

Do you buy things and associate yourself with those who can't be trusted or respected?

'Twas an evening in October, I'll confess I wasn't sober,

I was carting home a load with manly pride,
    When my feet began to stutter and I fell into the gutter,
    And a pig came up and lay down by my side.

Then I lay there in the gutter and my heart was all a-flutter,
    A high-toned lady, passing by, did chance to say:
    "You can tell a man that boozes by the company he chooses,"
    Then the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Walked away, walked away,
    He was really too particular to stay.
    "You can tell a man that boozes by the company he chooses,"
    Then the pig got up and slowly walked away.

• Reply 31 of 177
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

And exactly what parts of AOSP are proprietary?

And how can Oracle gets their way now?

Manufacturer add ons, Sense, Touchwiz, Blur etc, Google Apps and Market access, the stick Google uses to keep manufacturers in line all would become open under Java's GPL license.

Google don't want that, which is why they refused to license Java and fight so hard to protect their hijacking of it.

• Reply 32 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Small victory for Google, but they are so not out of the woods yet.

All that this means is that Apple gets to kill off Android instead of Oracle.  It is a stolen OS.  

He who laughs last laughs best!  I'm glad that Google is still alive so that Apple can be the one to kill them.

• Reply 33 of 177
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So before I report you for being a troll account

I am sure he was talking about ICS.  But, why are you defending Apple itself?  Have you even used any Android with ICS?  Their OSs have DEFINETELY improved and I think ICS surpassed iOS already.  I think you should thank Google for that since Apple WILL improve on their iOS hopfully in iPhone 5.  My preschoolers love iOS, but not me because it is too simple and boring.  Galaxy Nexus rocks!  It does more than what iPhone does and see what the owners are doing http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/forum/galaxy-nexus-general-discussion/534-screenshots-your-galaxy-nexus-home-screens-262.html

• Reply 34 of 177
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    it's better this way...

everyone (besides oracle) wins with an healthy android, even we, apple users.
    personally i only care about what i use, and if there's a way to make better tech (i don't care about who sues who, really. they are huge companies..) i'm all for it.
    now let's hope they push apple to it's limits so we can get amazing products and not another "windows era".

apple is suffocating them... really. it's not healthy.

Apple is not suffocating anyone. Innovation happens when there are obstacles to overcome. To say that a touch based, 4-6 inch form factor is the end all beat all, well then ruling in Googles favor is a great victory fr us all. Because we'll all get tons of the same phones just in different sizes.

Companies are lazy. If they can make a buck without too much effort, well here is their path. Allowing patent infringement does not force a competitor to improve upon or to try something unique that hadn't been done before, because why would they have to? Who knows why great idea is sitting on the shelf at Samsung because if patents aren't enforced they don't need to invest R&D dollars to solve a problem that no longer needs to be solved.

And that is what separates Apple from other companies. They go with a hunch, invest the R&D, take the chance and luckily it works out. But sometimes Apple simply executes it better than others. Nothing magical about the iPod, BUT iTunes is what separated the experience. Apple does what no other company currently does as well, Apple, identifies the problem more accurately than other companies do. Then they solve the problem.

The only problems that Google has been good at solving is web searching and making money off of searching. They learned how to profit from necessity and curiosity. That is there strength, everything else they do is either copying for a cash grab, or throwing spaghetti against the wall.

But if that is the "innovation" you champion, then enjoy the current form factor of your phone for the next 15 years because it ain't gonna change cause it won't be FORCED to change.
  • Reply 35 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Their OSs have DEFINETELY improved and I think ICS surpassed iOS already.

It does more than what iPhone does and see what the owners are doing http://www.galaxynexusforum.com/forum/galaxy-nexus-general-discussion/534-screenshots-your-galaxy-nexus-home-screens-262.html

ICS is a much, much improve version of Android than we've seen in the past. For the ones that have never used Android ICS, shouldn't comment because you're way behind. I honestly feel (along with many, many other users here and everywhere else) that ICS is lightyears ahead of iOS 5.1 and so forth. We're just going to sit back and wait and see what Apple has up their sleeve in iOS 6 I guess..

Something iPhone users will never get to enjoy, a custom built ROM ;-)

• Reply 36 of 177
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    ICS is a much, much improve version of Android than we've seen in the past. For the ones that have never used Android ICS, shouldn't comment because you're way behind. I honestly feel (along with many, many other users here and everywhere else) that ICS is lightyears ahead of iOS 5.1 and so forth. We're just going to sit back and wait and see what Apple has up their sleeve in iOS 6 I guess..

Something iPhone users will never get to enjoy, a custom built ROM ;-)

Tell me why I'd want to.
  • Reply 37 of 177
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

So many people are commenting here that this is the end of oracles case, lol its far from over.  This trial for any who have read foss patents is far from over.  It was split into 3 mini trials.  Copyright, Patent and damage.  The copyright phase last week was decided in oracles favor, with one question left to be decided by the judge, fair use.  The patents phase was over two patents both of which have been deemed not infringed.  so that part of this first set of trials is over.  There are a ton of things left.  This will be appealed and the fair use part of the first trial will be decided.  But this is not a slam dunk for google by any means.  If you really want to know what is going on read foss patents. 

• Reply 38 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Tell me why I'd want to.

I should ask you the reason why you wouldn't want to be able to customize your phone to your liking and make the user experience better than stock? That is why Android is more for the advanced users, and iPhone users are just those simple, I only want to fit in with the people around me because they have an iPhone.. it's the "cool" thing having an iPhone like everyone else type of user.

• Reply 39 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

So many people are commenting here that this is the end of oracles case, lol its far from over.  This trial for any who have read foss patents is far from over.  It was split into 3 mini trials.  Copyright, Patent and damage.  The copyright phase last week was decided in oracles favor, with one question left to be decided by the judge, fair use.  The patents phase was over two patents both of which have been deemed not infringed.  so that part of this first set of trials is over.  There are a ton of things left.  This will be appealed and the fair use part of the first trial will be decided.  But this is not a slam dunk for google by any means.  If you really want to know what is going on read foss patents. 

I'm not saying it's a slam dunk for Google, it's far from over like you said. Appeals will come and it's going to drag out for months and years.

• Reply 40 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Manufacturer add ons, Sense, Touchwiz, Blur etc, Google Apps and Market access, the stick Google uses to keep manufacturers in line all would become open under Java's GPL license.

Google don't want that, which is why they refused to license Java and fight so hard to protect their hijacking of it.

I wonder if you know how badly you didn't answer his question.