Actor John Malkovich amused by Siri in new iPhone 4S commercials

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52

@scotty123:

Rich text editor, ContentEditor_0, press ALT 0 for help.

So , um NO. Wrong. Let me list an abbreviated list of the celebrities that Apple has used in their ads over the years, and you can stop typing nonsense:

Albert Einstein, Bob Dylan, Martin Luther King, Jr., Richard Branson, John Lennon, R. Buckminster Fuller, Thomas Edison, Muhammad Ali, Ted Turner, Maria Callas, Mahatma Gandhi, Amelia Earhart, Alfred Hitchcock, Martha Graham, Jim Henson /Kermit the Frog), Frank Lloyd Wright, Picasso, Jerry Seinfeld, Yoko Ono, Kevin Costner, Alan Greenspan, Jeff Goldblum, Ellen Feiss, U2, Eminem, Jet, Caesars, Wynton Marsalis, and Mitchell & Webb (UK).

Get it? Apple has used celbrities consistently as a part of their ad mix -  all you had to do was do a quick flip over to AdWeek and see for yourself:

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/34-apple-commercials-starring-celebrities-139792

Seriously, you have the whole bloody internet at your disposal, a little fact-checking once in a while is a profound relief for ignorance, apathy and neglect.

These ads are clever and well-targeted beyond the realm of the usual suspects here, hence the calumny, diatribe and general silliness. Get over it. It's OK - these are just not about you. *WINK*

• Reply 42 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony3d View Post

Look, we have 2 Mac Pros, 3 iMacs, 3 iPads, and 3 iPhones in my household. Not to mention multitudes of iPods. Oh ya, I really hate Apple! Give me a break fanboy!

LOL!! So FAIL twice - first you listed "all the Apple devices I own" and then you followed up and used the "f" word. You fell for the classic troll-bait ruse. In which case if you aren't trolling you're seriously un-savvy, if you are, that was spectacularly obtuse! *GRIN*

• Reply 43 of 52
    jvolinojvolino Posts: 25member

Siri's response to "Life" seems to allude to Radiohead's "Fitter Happier"

Quote:

Fitter, happier, more productive,

Comfortable,

Not drinking too much,

Regular exercise at the gym

(Three days a week),

Getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries,

At ease,

Eating well

(No more microwave dinners and saturated fats)...

vs Siri:

Quote:

"Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try to live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations" 

• Reply 44 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

You're missing the point of the commercials, Siri is the star of the commercial. Stars who amuse us for a living are amused by Siri.

I'm aware of the thinking, but too much focus on celebrities reaches a point of diminishing returns. In other words, these people are expensive and their incremental value to the Apple brand is minimal. My thinking is that if celebrities like it so much, let them say so in their own words without compensation. Besides, word of mouth is what really sells Apple to consumers.

• Reply 45 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

They really need to integrate a sports service into Siri.  "Score?"  "Who's winning?" "Yankees Red Sox?"  Having Siri respond intelligently to those questions would be very persuasive.  When I got my iPhone I asked it all sorts of sports questions (thinking it work work) and it was embarrassingly bad.  Ask Siri "Who won the super bowl?" and her response: "Issuing Entity: South Korea" from Wolfram Alpha.  Uh, WTF?

You don't remember South Korea winning the Super Bowl? It was a real Cinderella story.

• Reply 46 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

They really need to integrate a sports service into Siri.  "Score?"  "Who's winning?" "Yankees Red Sox?"  Having Siri respond intelligently to those questions would be very persuasive.  When I got my iPhone I asked it all sorts of sports questions (thinking it work work) and it was embarrassingly bad.  Ask Siri "Who won the super bowl?" and her response: "Issuing Entity: South Korea" from Wolfram Alpha.  Uh, WTF?

Although I could care less about sports scores, this is a good idea. Maybe we'll see some broadening of Siri's capabilities once iOS 6 is announced.

• Reply 47 of 52
    alcstarheelalcstarheel Posts: 554member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm aware of the thinking, but too much focus on celebrities reaches a point of diminishing returns. In other words, these people are expensive and their incremental value to the Apple brand is minimal. My thinking is that if celebrities like it so much, let them say so in their own words without compensation. Besides, word of mouth is what really sells Apple to consumers.

Before these commercials when's the last time Apple used a celebrity in their ads? I don't remember any recently.

• Reply 48 of 52
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I actually like the ads. In the Samuel Jackson ad I keep trying to hear if he is saying organic mushrooms from Arizona or it almost sounds like arisota? Anyone know what he said?   I really wish Apple would introduce some new Mac ads. I haven't seen any Macintosh ads in ages. But I am glad they retired the Mac and PC ones. they were getting a bit old and tired. The PC guy was also a lot more likable than the Mac actor.

• Reply 49 of 52
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Never mind, I just listened again and figured it out. He said " Find me a store that sells organic mushrooms for my Risotto"  But it sure sounds almost like he said arisota and not my risotto. 

• Reply 50 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Before these commercials when's the last time Apple used a celebrity in their ads? I don't remember any recently.

If you don't count the Get A Mac guys as celebrities, it'd be the Switch campaign, I think. Or the U2 iPod ads.

• Reply 51 of 52

As good as the press has been to Apple, all they need to do is show a picture of the product, the name of the product and finally the Apple logo, all supported with a pop song. There's your 15 second spot.

• Reply 52 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvolino View Post

Siri's response to "Life" seems to allude to Radiohead's "Fitter Happier"

vs Siri:

I think some of those single word questions are answered better by Google app.

For example when you ask Google "Life" you get results like Time Life Magazine or Wikipedia's Life web page not some philosophic interpretation. Unless Siri knew he was drunk and would not have been interested in any academic reading her response was irrelevant. Same goes for Linguiça. Google gives you the definition and recipes which should be the first assumption of such a vague request. If you really wanted to dine out you would ask Google "Linguiça nearby" which returns several nice restaurants. Your milage may vary. I'm in SoCal so it works here.