TSA looks to spend $3M on Macs, iDevices in pilot program

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Republican? What Republican in their right mind would support the TSA.

I certainly don't like to get into online political debates on what one politician theoretically would or wouldn't do based on some presumption about their positions but I will point out this simple fact:
    The TSA was created as part of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act, sponsored by Don Young in the United States House of Representatives[2] and Ernest Hollings in the Senate,[3] passed by the 107th U.S. Congress, and signed into law by President George W. Bush on November 19, 2001. Originally part of the United States Department of Transportation, the TSA was moved to the Department of Homeland Security on March 25, 2003.

Only looking at the names involved we see that 2 are Republicans and 1 is a Democrat.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's all bunk.

Do you lock your car, your house, set your alarm, turn your light on a timer when you are away on vacation? Of course you do, because there are evil people out there who want to harm you and you would rather not make it easy for them.

Considering the potential catastrophic consequences which could result in not taking precautions with airline travelers, do you think that any government would risk not doing everything possible to prevent evil people from harming innocent citizens?  

Any reasonable person can easily understand why they have to do what they do, even if it is very inconvenient and annoying for honest law abiding citizens.

• Reply 23 of 45
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Quote:

after the "no liquids" nonsense went into effect. It's all bunk.

It really isn't bunk:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-plot-to-bring-down-britains-planes/4od

to quote the programme:

Anyone who travels by plane is well aware of the ban on drinks bottles in hand luggage; but few people know exactly why.

The reason dates back to 2006 when a group of young British men from Walthamstow, East London, planned to blow up multiple airliners, departing from Heathrow, simultaneously in mid-flight, with explosives disguised as soft drinks.

Fortunately it was you carrying liquids by mistake and not somebody with sinister liquids and intent.

• Reply 24 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I certainly don't like to get into online political debates on what one politician theoretically would or wouldn't do based on some presumption about their positions but I will point out this simple fact:

Quote:

The TSA was created as part of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act, sponsored by Don Young in the United States House of Representatives[2] and Ernest Hollings in the Senate,[3] passed by the 107th U.S. Congress, and signed into law by President George W. Bush on November 19, 2001. Originally part of the United States Department of Transportation, the TSA was moved to the Department of Homeland Security on March 25, 2003.

Only looking at the names involved we see that 2 are Republicans and 1 is a Democrat.

But what has the sitting president done, along with Congress, to reverse or slow the constitutionally questionable encroachments that were initiated under Bush? Nothing, despite virtually no credible Republican opposition the first 2 years in office. No, the problem isn't Republican or Democrat... the problem is Washington and a class of politicians and the American voters who are so ignorant that they do not that realize restraint of government is not only a good thing, but the reason for the founding of this country!

• Reply 25 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Finally, the Government is stepping up and buying more advanced forms of computing.  I guees the Federal Government is turning into a bunch of switchers.  YEAH...

And what is Steve Ballmer doing?  Who?

Chairs are being thrown in the Executive Suite. Monkey boy is in full sweat.

Reading these headlines brings back old memories of when the shoe was on the other foot and specs were being written around "Windows only." 

It won't be until 2013 before Microsoft will have anywhere near the ecosystem Apple had three years ago. By then Apple will have upped the bar and maybe added an additional iDevice to the mix. Apple disrupts the industry at least two times a year and keeps the competition a bit off-balance on a regular basis.

What has surprised me is how badly the Nokia/Windows phone did in the marketplace. I really expected the Microsoft/Windows names would make a difference. It's as if, "It isn't an Apple or Android device, why should I care?" A 20 year-old couldn't drive when the iPhone hit the market. The iPad will be close to four years old by the time MSFT gets back into the phone/tablet market...there's been a lot of mindshare lost by MSFT...

• Reply 26 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

It really isn't bunk:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-plot-to-bring-down-britains-planes/4od

to quote the programme:

Fortunately it was you carrying liquids by mistake and not somebody with sinister liquids and intent.

Actually, I was not suggesting that there aren't people attempting to do bad things to passengers and planes. Because the TSA is run by government, they have to adhere to ridiculous restrictions on treating passengers unequally, aka "profiling". Privately run security would not face this same restriction.

• Reply 27 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Good for Apple, bad for the country.

Sadly the expansion of the TSA is just another Obama mistake. I want to see Apple establish itself in business and government but not at the expense of further encroachment on our freedom. Apple should politely decline the sale.

I micturate upon your suggestion. 

• Reply 28 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    But what has the sitting president done, along with Congress, to reverse or slow the constitutionally questionable encroachments that were initiated under Bush? Nothing, despite virtually no credible Republican opposition the first 2 years in office. No, the problem isn't Republican or Democrat... the problem is Washington and a class of politicians and the American voters who are so ignorant that they do not that realize restraint of government is not only a good thing, but the reason for the founding of this country!
    Ill try again to talk about politics without talking about politics...

I have no recollection of the current president saying he was for or against increasing the TSA but that's not your original comment. You seem to want to focus on a partisan argument as your initial reply stated that no Republican would support the TSA despite plenty of proof that it was created and approved by many Republicans.

As for the sitting president having no Republican opposition that is simply not true. It's been a running joke that Republicans will take the opposite stance of the Obama administration regardless of what it is. We have 4 years of John Boehner and this year's Republican debates to draw from. Whether they are just disagreeing to disagree or really believe their positions is another matter I refuse to get into but there is plenty of evidence to show fervent opposition to anything Obama does.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    johnnyb0731johnnyb0731 Posts: 326member
    For those who still think that TSA is anything more than security theater designed to make you [I]feel[/I] safer without actually doing much of anything. I give you this http://gmancasefile.blogspot.com/2012/01/tsa-fail.html
  • Reply 30 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

I am not getting to any political position on this but I have to ask.  What do all those that seem to despise the TSA suggest as an alternative?  I don't know of a first world country that doesn't have stringent security checks. Most, if not all, have had them far longer than here.  I was always amazed how I was thoroughly screened leaving the UK or any European airport to fly to America but had zero checks boarding in the States for the return flight.  I flew back and forth most months for many years. Only after 911 did the screening become similar on both ends sadly too late for that event.

• Reply 31 of 45
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

To Microsoft: "Be afraid. Be very afraid".

• Reply 32 of 45
    ivk wrote: »

Republican? What Republican in their right mind would support the TSA. They are a disaster! They should be disbanded and the airlines and airports should be jointly held responsible for security.

They were. Then they let 9/11 happen… we've been through this. Much like the loosening of regulations for banks & other financial services industry, resulting in the Greats, Recession & Depression & '80s S&L implosion. Oh joy, I do so enjoy our cyclical society

Cheers !
  • Reply 33 of 45
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

There wasn't any planes and terrorist bomb attacks when this country was founded, so I don't know what would have been allowed and not allowed back then..  Well, do you HAVE to travel by plane in this country?  NO.  You can take a bus, a car, a train, a boat, etc.  This is only when you go to the airport.  I am still trying to figure out one' s civil rights being violated?  Being searched at an airport?  Its' the same people that get all bent out of shape if they go through a publicized checkpoint for DUI and they get asked to see their registration and driver's license.  Before they had the TSA at airports, we had people taking control over a plane and flying them into various buildings.  Which do you want?

• Reply 34 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    drblank wrote: »
    There wasn't any planes and terrorist bomb attacks when this country was founded, so I don't know what would have been allowed and not allowed back then..  Well, do you HAVE to travel by plane in this country?  NO.  You can take a bus, a car, a train, a boat, etc.  This is only when you go to the airport.  I am still trying to figure out one' s civil rights being violated?  Being searched at an airport?  Its' the same people that get all bent out of shape if they go through a publicized checkpoint for DUI and they get asked to see their registration and driver's license.  Before they had the TSA at airports, we had people taking control over a plane and flying them into various buildings.  Which do you want?

I have more than 4 million lifetime air miles, so it affects me far more than the vast majority of people here. And I've traveled over half a million of those miles with my family. From my perspective, it's nothing more than a minor inconvenience. You plan appropriately, pack appropriately, arrive at the airport a few minutes early, and it's absolutely no big deal.

The whining comes most often from people who think the rules shouldn't apply to them. It amazes me how many times I've seen people get into fights with TSA over a 16 ounce bottle of shampoo in their carry on. And they're usually in the 'experienced traveler' line, so they're either lying about being an experienced traveler to get the faster lines or they should know better.

People need to grow up. It's no more a violation of your civil rights than a 65 mile per hour speed limit is.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Good for Apple, bad for the country.

Sadly the expansion of the TSA is just another Obama mistake. I want to see Apple establish itself in business and government but not at the expense of further encroachment on our freedom. Apple should politely decline the sale.

Politely decline the sale? What does that even mean? 

You want them to refuse sale of their product to government agencies? What about people who bought Apple products that ended up as murderers, rapists, thieves, etc? Should Apple run a background check on all its customers, and maybe put them through lie detector tests to make sure they might not use the product for any immoral purpose, or one that Apple does not agree with? Or maybe they should make sure to only sell their products to members of a certain political party, and veto others? 

Sometimes I wonder what planet some of you live on, because some of the serious suggestions I've seen on this board are beyond insane and utterly deluded.  

• Reply 36 of 45
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member

I personally carried a 7" switchblade collectors' knife past TSA and through the XRay machine at LAX in December 2008.  The TSA are buffoons, imbeciles, and should be dissolved immediately.  

Of course, the SEIU will have different ideas about that...

• Reply 37 of 45
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I personally carried a 7" switchblade collectors' knife past TSA and through the XRay machine at LAX in December 2008.  The TSA are buffoons, imbeciles, and should be dissolved immediately.

Hmm ... care to try that a few more times? The buffoons won't catch it, right?

• Reply 38 of 45
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member

Sadly, airport security is a total joke. While they strip search your 3-year old and grammy most planes carry tons of totally unchecked AIRMAIL PARCELS! 

The front door looks like Fort Knox but the back doors are wide open! People seem to forget that airport scanners were introduced after the underwear bomber false flag operation. There are many documentaries on this including:

http://www.corbettreport.com/911-a-conspiracy-theory/

• Reply 39 of 45
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Of course, the SEIU will have different ideas about that...

So, what do you suggest? I'm serious. The TSA is bashed for being both too lax and too stringent. Millions of people pass through security every single day. No system can provide 100% security and catch everything while with this kind of time-sensitive and complex traffic flow covering every demographic possible with only a few seconds to spare for each person. Yet, the TSA are 'buffoons, imbeciles, and should be dissolved immediately'? You do realize the TSA is composed of thousands of people, right? So are they all buffoons? 80%? Or do they become buffoons automatically when they start working for the TSA? Are all these people telepathically combined into one overlord, who is a bufoon?

Your post reeks of extreme idiocy, self-righteousness, naivity, not to mention nastiness where you bash thousands of employees who handle millions of travellers a day because YOU managed to get a switchblade through 4 years ago. I won't even ask why the hell you would take a 7" knife through security anyway.  It looks like we should 'dissolve' every single agency, organization, and company on earth in that case, since there's fuckups and mistakes in every one, right? Maybe its better we just dissolve you, because you obviously lack any sense of rationality when you're so willing to smear a large group of diverse people. 

• Reply 40 of 45
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Finally, the Government is stepping up and buying more advanced forms of computing.  I guees the Federal Government is turning into a bunch of switchers.  YEAH...

And what is Steve Ballmer doing?  Who?

Quote:

Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

To Microsoft: "Be afraid. Be very afraid".

Don't believe for a second that this is a done deal. I worked with government contracts for many years and it is extremely difficult to get a "sole source" contract approved, especially for computers and peripherals. As knowledgeable technology users (generally speaking ;-), we know very well the technical and quality differences between an iPad and, oh say, a RIM Playbook or HP TouchPad. But to the government contracting bureaucracy, the looks and specifications are all the same.

And don't get me started on the undiluted steer excrement that TSA is trying to use as justification, assuming that what's shown in the article is correct. "…the agency said that nearly every government and commercial organization first releases apps for Apple's iOS and subsequently rolls out Android version of the same software." -- nice if true but I doubt it and I doubt it could be proved; and even if true, if the necessary apps are available on Android, then which came first is irrelevant. "…it was noted that Apple's OS X and iOS platforms are locked to hardware made by the company, thus no competing manufacturer exists."-- pure hogwash--like I already wrote above about the Playbook and TouchPad.

Hopefully no one takes my rant as any sort of criticism of Apple or Apple products. I have very, very little respect for the TSA as an organization, governmental or otherwise, and this article only reinforces my opinion.