Facebook reportedly hiring former Apple iPhone engineers for phone project

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 662member

So make a cheap device that looks like an iDevice with a Facebook skinned version of Android.  Wonder what he'll call it - the Facebook Fire perhaps?

• Reply 42 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

So make a cheap device that looks like an iDevice with a Facebook skinned version of Android.  Wonder what he'll call it - the Facebook Fire perhaps?

Nah, code named "Douse" because "we hope to take away from the Amazon marketshare and see where we go from there".

• Reply 43 of 76
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Absolutely. The only reason Facebook (and the rest) "whore" out users is because that is the main method of generating income. Whereas, if Apple were to ever create a proper social network, they wouldn't need to whore out the users, it would exist ultimately to sell more hardware.

As I have already stated, Apple has a social network.  Apple's social network "just works" so well and is so well integrated into Apple products and services that you forget you are using their social network.  Apple social networking users invest in Apple products and services because they like those products and services thus they purchase more products and services which furthers vendor lock-in.  We know that users invest in Apple products and services due to the well documented customer satisfaction rates, customer retention rates as well as the market share of Apple products and services, especially the iTunes Store.  

The key to the success of Apple's social networking is the persistent, ubiquitous but non-intrusive nature of the interactions.  For example, Messages was simply integrated into the existing SMS/MMS app, multiplayer matchmaking is offered within many games via API.  The concept of logging into a website or opening an app specifically to send an update or tweet doesn't exist, instead the interaction is part of the typical workflow for using a feature or accomplishing that function.

Apple 

Facebook

Google

Twitter

User Base

125 million (based on unique iCloud users)

900 million

170 million

140 million

Persistent

Yes on Apple Hardware

No

No (can be circumvented on hardware)

No

Cross Platform

OS X, iOS, Windows (limited)

HTML based

HTML based

HTML based

Personalized Page

No

Facebook Pages

Google+ Pages

Yes

Contacts or Friends List

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Social Groups

No but Contacts may be grouped

Yes

Yes

No

Hashtags

No

No

Yes

Yes

Email

Mail and iCloud

Messenger

Gmail

No

Instant Messaging

Facebook Messenger

Messenger

Tweets

Video Chat

FaceTime

Yes

Hangouts

external video chat links

Real-time Feeds

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Location Sharing

Find Friends

No

No

No

Location “Check-in”

No

No but update could include location

Reminders for Events (i.e. birthdays)

Yes, if information added to Contacts

Yes

via Google Calendar

No

Digital Photography Sharing

Yes but not released on all hardware

Yes

Yes

Yes

Web Page Recommendations

No

Like button

+1 button

Tweet button

App Recommendations or Links

Link Maker

Like button

+1 button

Tweet button

Book Recommendations or Links

Link Maker

Like button

+1 button

Tweet button

Movie Recommendations or Links

Link Maker

Like button

+1 button

Tweet button

Music Recommendations or Links

Link Maker & Ping

Like button

+1 button

Tweet button

TV Show Recommendations or Links

Link Maker

Like button

+1 button

Tweet button

Multiplayer game Matchmaking

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

Social Gaming

Game Center

Yes

Games

No

Game Achievements

Yes

Yes via Facebook Updates

?

No

Leader Boards

Yes

Yes via Facebook Updates

?

No

Trending

Via iTunes Store “What’s Hot”

Yes

Ripples and Sparks 

Yes

Revenue Model

Hardware, iTunes Store

Ad supported B2B & B2C lead generation

• Reply 44 of 76
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

As I have already stated, Apple has a social network.  Apple's social network "just works" so well and is so well integrated into Apple products and services that you forget you are using their social network.  Apple social networking users invest in Apple products and services because they like those products and services thus they purchase more products and services which furthers vendor lock-in.  We know that users invest in Apple products and services due to the well documented customer satisfaction rates, customer retention rates as well as the market share of Apple products and services, especially the iTunes Store.  

The key to the success of Apple's social networking is the persistent, ubiquitous but non-intrusive nature of the interactions.  For example, Messages was simply integrated into the existing SMS/MMS app, multiplayer matchmaking is offered within many games via API.  The concept of logging into a website or opening an app specifically to send an update or tweet doesn't exist, instead the interaction is part of the typical workflow for using a feature or accomplishing that function.

While I appreciate the thought and effort that went into that analysis, I think you're missing a key element of a "social network."  Think about Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter, for example.  What are they all great at that is fairly revolutionary?  Introducing me to/letting me learn about "friends of friends" (to use the Facebook terminology).  I believe that's the KEY ingredient to a "social network" and Apple has nothing (?) in that area.  Not saying they should, just saying they don't.  With Facebook I (eventually) reconnect with almost everyone I knew in high school and college.  With LinkedIn, I make professional contacts and extend my professional network.  With Twitter I learn about people who are interested in the same things/people I am.  Does the Apple ecosystem do any of those things?

Note: this doesn't mean I think Apple SHOULD get into the social networking business.  Just like they need not get into oil drilling or banking just because other companies are doing it.

• Reply 45 of 76
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

FacePhone

• Reply 46 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

FacePhone

The Zucker.

0.jpg

• Reply 47 of 76
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

... Apple does have a social network although we can discuss whether or not "wildly popular" is a valid description.

The point of creating a social network isn't to "whore out your users," that is the revenue model (for many social networks) although the difference is functionally indistinguishable to consumers.  ...

I think we mostly agree but there is a lot of vagueness as to what a "social network" is being defined as here.  I would agree that iCloud users or MobileMe before them are sort of a social network, but on the other hand all the social networks we've seen lately that are blatantly referred to as such by the media and the users, are quite completely different from what Apple is doing.  That's why I like what Apple is doing.  

If you sign up for iCloud to sync your documents, are you really "joining a social network" in the same sense as joining Facebook or Google+ signing up for MySpace in the past?  I'm not so sure that's really an accurate description even though both are networks of users that have at least some "social" tools available to them.

Google in particular spends a lot of time and energy trying to purposely trick users, who "joined" Google only in the sense that they signed up for email or document sharing like MobileMe/iCloud ... into joining Google plus as well.  So it seems that they at least differentiate between these two types of users.  Those that just wanted one of the free services and those who want to join the "Google community."

I completely disagree with any attempts to pretend that social networks don't "whore out their users" however.  It is as you say their main revenue model.  

There is a fine difference between "users" and "customers" that people don't always appreciate.  Google's users are the people that sign up for Google plus, Google's customers however are the advertisers.  The same goes for every classic "social network" I've ever heard of.  

Social networks "whore out their users," because their users are not their customers.  

Apple's users on the other hand, are also it's customers.  It provides service to these customers, some of these have a social component, but until they start selling us down the river like Google and Facebook, I don't think they can be called a "social network."  

It's almost as if the very definition of the modern (online) "social network" is this specific disregard for the people using the network. 

• Reply 48 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

While I appreciate the thought and effort that went into that analysis, I think you're missing a key element of a "social network."  Think about Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter, for example.  What are they all great at that is fairly revolutionary?  Introducing me to/letting me learn about "friends of friends" (to use the Facebook terminology).  I believe that's the KEY ingredient to a "social network" and Apple has nothing (?) in that area.  Not saying they should, just saying they don't.  With Facebook I (eventually) reconnect with almost everyone I knew in high school and college.  With LinkedIn, I make professional contacts and extend my professional network.  With Twitter I learn about people who are interested in the same things/people I am.  Does the Apple ecosystem do any of those things?

Note: this doesn't mean I think Apple SHOULD get into the social networking business.  Just like they need not get into oil drilling or banking just because other companies are doing it.

Where is that key ingredient in Twitter, I must have missed the "friends of friends" discovery feature.  Apple has a different revenue model and customer relationship.  Social networks have existed since the introduction of modern man, social networking services simply redefined the meaning of social network.  The problem is that "friends of friends" doesn't necessarily create intimacy or trust.  Invasive social networks have a lifecycle but a persistent, ubiquitous, non-invasive social network doesn't necessarily have a lifecycle since social networking is an invisible feature of a completely different workflow.

An interesting factor to consider is longevity.  Once the novelty of social networking disappears, only advertisements and social discoverability and sharing are left with the invasion of privacy concerns.

• Reply 49 of 76
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,909member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Facebook and Apple should patch up their differences so that Ping becomes integrated into FB, and FB becomes integrated into iOS.

No, no, no, no...I absolutely do not want Facecrap integrated into my phone. I don't like it and never will. I can understand Twitter, but not Facebook. Facebook is too intrusive for my liking. 

I do like the idea of Apple integrating their own social network into their phones. In someways, they're already starting with messages. They should continue to build upon that. The issue they'd run into though is trying to get users to use it if they were to develop something. Making one is easy, getting people to use it is the hard part. Even though Facebook sucks and people don't like it, they still use it. If Apple could create a paradigm shift in the social network that would be huge for them. 

I think they should buy Twitter to be honest. They already have a backbone and good entrance into this area. I think Apple could improve upon it, though they'd most likely only use it in their own products. 

• Reply 50 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's almost as if the very definition of the modern (online) "social network" is this specific disregard for the people using the network. 

Agreed.  I think there will eventually be pushback against this model.  Facebook has extremely low customer satisfaction.

This is why I think Apple hasn't created an explicit social network and instead relies upon implicit social networking (FaceTime, Game Center, iMessage, iTunes, Ping, etc.)

• Reply 51 of 76
    Where is that key ingredient in Twitter, I must have missed the "friends of friends" discovery feature.
    They have a "Who to Follow" section that shows you who to follow based on your followers..they also tell you which users are similar to you based on who you each follow.

To the point of the thread..

I find it funny that when I went to login here at AppleInsider Facebook Connect was sitting there. To me that's the real reason for a phone. Think of all the sites that use Facebook Connect for logging in or posting. That connection will be automatic with a Facebook Phone. Users would even more likely use their Facebook logins for all these sites which gives Zuck more info and more timely, pertinent ads. Once you agree to the Terms and Conditions Zuck will know everything you do in the mobile world. Oh you called AT&T customer service? Here's their Facebook page.

Sounds like the Google model to me.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Agreed.

• Reply 53 of 76
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

.  The problem is that "friends of friends" doesn't necessarily create intimacy or trust...

Sure but Apple could implement "friends of friends" differently, the problem with Facebook is that they almost force people to share as much as possible. Whereas, an Apple take on it would allow simple opt out, or rather even, opt-in.

That, I believe, is key here. Opt-in rather than a hidden and constantly changing opt-out (that often doesn't even opt-out properly).

• Reply 54 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by djkfisher View Post

No matter how you cut it, the guy is now a billionaire. That is a lot of money and a job well done.  :)

If only people would give Steve Jobs the same credit. But they don't.

Everybody treats Apple and Steve like some kind of also-ran, when the facts are quite different.  Jealousy is the explanation.

• Reply 55 of 76
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkdrop1 View Post

too little too late.

I predict epic fail.

Mimicking Google's failed attempt at ubiquity via social engineering won't lead to any success.

Imagine a phone that tracks your every text and voice message as a post on facespook.  Stupid.

F

What do you think Google/Android does?

They already mine your email for marketing info via Gmail.

They already mine your voice mail, texts, who you are calling via Google Voice.

They are already tracking your location with Android

• Reply 56 of 76
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Who would want to buy a Facebook phone?! Does not compute.

Facebook phone could make sense in theory:

Contacts = Friend list

Apps = Facebook apps

Messages = Facebook messages

Calendar = Facebook events

Video Calls = Skype

Notifications Center = triggered by messages, news feeds, wall posts, friend status changes, etc

I can imagine for people who literally live their lives in FB (having all friends and relatives signed up too, constantly updating their status and posting pictures of themselves or their puppies) this could be really convenient.

Disclaimer 1: I do not have FB account except the fake one for app development.

Disclaimer 2: The day iPhone has integration with Facebook I will stop buying the iPhone.

• Reply 57 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Disclaimer 2: The day iPhone has integration with Facebook I will stop buying the iPhone.

Yeah, because you're certainly forced to use that… 

• Reply 58 of 76
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, because you're certainly forced to use that… 

What about a Facebook integrated iPhone with a 4.5" screen.

j/k

• Reply 59 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

What about a Facebook integrated iPhone with a 4.5" screen.

image You can just ignore that extra inch of screen.

• Reply 60 of 76
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What kind of a retard would want a Facebook phone?

That's all people need, yet another phone, as if there aren't hundreds to choose between already in the crowded market place, mostly filled with junky Android phones.

And even better, a facebook phone, where you will probably get raped up the ass, and have all of your info stolen, by an overvalued company that relies on advertising for it's revenue.

What about all of the suckers who got zuckered in to buying that lame FB stock recently? These naive, foolish and greedy people got what they deserved. Simple math is apparently way too complicated for those zuckers. Talk about an over valued company. I'm glad to see the stock crashing down. A fair price for FB is around $10. Maybe I'd even buy a few shares myself, if it drops down to that price.

Facebook is just a website. Websites come and go. I imagine that the facebook phone will be a third rate product, just like the Amazon Kindle Fire. A product made by a company that has zero experience in ever making any hardware. The probability is extremely high that the facebook phone will be complete fucking crap. And that is my two cents.