Purported iOS 6 screenshots claim to show Apple's new Maps app

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure, but I wouldn't think it would be usable for anything but that. Apple doesn't presently have an iCloud.com Maps application.

Exactly. They don't have an iCloud Map app yet. Why would they have an iCloud Map app now when it's just based on Google Maps and anyone could just go to maps.google.com for the same data?

• Reply 42 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Exactly. They don't have an iCloud Map app yet. Why would they have an iCloud Map app now when it's just based on Google Maps and anyone could just go to maps.google.com for the same data?

That's not the question, the question is why they'd have one at all when it's only really usable on an iDevice. And even when OS XI comes out, there's no case for a web Maps app because they'll just have a proper application.

• Reply 43 of 44
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Mark my words, the new Maps app and the Siri SDK.

Yes, I believe Apple will open up Siri to developers. 

WWDC cannot come soon enough. We will soon see.

• Reply 44 of 44
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    shao wrote: »
    Can't help but feel that Apple is losing the war on research here. Shouldn't they have the depth and breadth of technical expertise to develop this stuff in house without having to continually purchase other companies? Is it a sustainable business model going forward?

It's simple. Apple is a hardware/software company... not a mapping company.

Sometimes it's best to know your role... and hire out when you need to. Or do a talent acquisition. Or just buy an entire company that specializes in one thing and does it well.

Don't forget... Google Maps was started from an acquisition of Where 2 Technologies in 2004. And of course it grew from there.

I would expect Apple to do the same and improve their maps... as mapping will be an integral part of Apple product for the rest of our lives. But it's gotta start somewhere.

Did you know that almost all of Google's major products were started from purchases outside the company? Things like GMail, Maps, Earth, Blogger, Picasa, Youtube, Adwords, Voice, Analytics, Docs, Spreadsheets, SketchUp, Talk, Chrome, and of course Android.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Google

Apple's no stranger to acquisitions either:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Apple

In fact... search for "List of acquisitions by _____" and plug in any major corporation. Some pretty interesting stuff there. Basically... everybody does it. And yes... I do believe it's a sustainable business model.