1080p refresh doubled Apple TV sales in 2012, 2.7M sold so far

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Is there proof the rumors did not originate from Samsung?

Ooh. I like that. Out of box thinking. Good for the Samsung stock price, at least, being able to respond to a "threat" from a "competitor" so "quickly".

• Reply 22 of 33
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    drdoppio wrote: »
    Is there proof the rumors did not originate from Samsung?

Or that people changed the rumor from "I heard Samsung is gonna make a TV with so and so" to "I heard Apple is gonna make a TV with so and so"
  • Reply 23 of 33
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Or that people changed the rumor from "I heard Samsung is gonna make a TV with so and so" to "I heard Apple is gonna make a TV with so and so"

In any case, Apple cannot be given credit for rumors, and Samsung should not be denied credit for real products.

Real artists ship.

• Reply 24 of 33
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Just picked up a nice 47-inch Panasonic and a 1080p Apple TV.

When the Apple screen ships, the Pany goes into the bedroom.

• Reply 25 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Good news for Apple TV!
    Has anyone else seen those Samsung smart TV ads where it's apparent Samsung took every rumor for the Apple TV set and put it in their new "smart" tv?

I've seen a few Samsung TV ads lately, and I really didn't think anything of it, nothing in their TV ads told me they were "inspired" by Apple. The designs I've seen on display lately do look very nice, and don't strike as using Apple's styling, which is different from Samsung's use of Apple design language on their mobile products.

I haven't tried the controls on their new ones though, which I hope they fixed. Something as simple as source selection on my two year old Samsung is stupid, I need to press cancel to clear the source select screen. I've not found a setting that would make it go away by itself.

Ooh. I like that. Out of box thinking. Good for the Samsung stock price, at least, being able to respond to a "threat" from a "competitor" so "quickly".

The only problem with that is Apple television rumors have been around for quite some time, maybe six years now.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    ascii wrote: »
    It sounds to me ("pulling the string") like Apple is going to continue feeling their way in this market, not really sure where the way in is. They are possibly waiting for the Internet to more fully take over media distribution, and which point the cable companies may be revising their business models anyway, giving Apple an "in."

If Steve really did have some big insight about TV in his last months, Tim has apparently decided not to follow through with it.

I think based on the biography, there's little doubt Apple has a good handle on the software UI and hardware, what I think is causing a delay (if there even is any delay and not just waiting for proper time) it could be the grasp on the content end. Many companies want nothing to do with providing content for Apple. It doesn't work if there's nothing to watch. Then it's just an ATV on steroids.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Cell phone market yes, smartphone market no. Big difference

Hence why I said cell phone market before the whole Apple/smartphone market :)

• Reply 28 of 33
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    feynman wrote: »
    Hence why I said cell phone market before the whole Apple/smartphone market :)

The iPhone was a vast improvement over feature phones most people had back then. It was easy to toss a RAZR in favor of a iPhone. Not sure people will do that for a Apple TV set.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    mieswallmieswall Posts: 84member

An "insanely great" TV, a smart, IOS driven, beautiful set will be a shift in the dumb blackbox TV paradigm (the "stupid box"), same as Mac meant for computers, iPhone for mobile phones, iPad for mobile computing. Common factor here? Good design, and OSX/iOS behind all them. So, anything happening now with TV sales is just a reference of how great the impact will be.

Soon after its launch, you will have an army of IOS programmers inventing uses of the old TV that were never seen before.

• Reply 30 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mieswall View Post

Soon after its launch, you will have an army of IOS programmers inventing uses of the old TV that were never seen before.

We already have that capability. Anything on iOS is viewable on the Apple TV. Why does it need a dedicated box to do that? Why does it need to be integrated into a TV when you're doing all the controlling from your iOS device?

• Reply 31 of 33
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

What can I say, can't live without my AppleTV now. The limiting factor outside the US is broadband speeds and quota though, you need around 10mbit/sec down minimum for the best AppleTV experience.

• Reply 32 of 33
    isomorphicisomorphic Posts: 199member

The trick is definitely the content delivery.  If there's anything broken about the current TV experience, it's not the TV hardware at all.  It's the bleeding cable companies, their monopoly channel bundling and their horrific set top boxes; and the content providers with their ridiculously overwrought scheduling to intentionally hide the few gems of entertainment in the wasteland of dross.

Of course the content providers don't want to play with Apple, and they are probably contractually obligated to provide service in a certain way to the cablecos.  OTOH if Apple can drive a wedge down the middle of them all and browbeat one half of them with the other half, I for one will sit by watching, eating popcorn, with an expression of unadulterated joy on my face.

I don't even care if it's Apple that does it, although Apple seems the company best-positioned to do so.

• Reply 33 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,591member

This got overlooked, at least by any of the sources I typically follow. Samsung's ditching the box altogether for DirectTV services, which will be natively supported on all Samsung smart tv's beginning this year.

http://s.netshelter.net/ab3013d0f

I had never heard of the RVU Alliance before today, with Verizon, Samsung, DirectTV, and Broadcomm as founders.

http://www.rvualliance.org/resources/faq##2

"The published aims of the RVU Alliance are to expand the use of the RVU Protocol to enable users to:

• Receive the same experience at every TV through the same look and feel

• Provide access to high-definition programming from any TV in the home

• Record and playback high-definition programming from any TV in the home

• Access to personal media content (e.g., videos and photos) from any TV in the home

• Interact with weather, enhanced sports, and other interactive applications from any TV in the home

• Access content available on more devices (including personal media players and PCs)

It looks as tho there's an industry-wide effort to simplify the TV viewing and media sharing experience. With or without Apple's rumored entry into the standalone TV market things are going to change and relatively fast apparently. After reading about RVU I've realized that my FIOS service is already making use of some of the standards. Streaming media wirelessly from our computers to the HDTV is pretty darn easy and straightforward.