Google to unveil 'the next dimension' of its Maps ahead of WWDC

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    srangersranger Posts: 473member

I have seen the beta of Google 3D maps and they are impressive.

It will be interesting to see what Apple's looks like...

• Reply 62 of 112
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fulldecent View Post

Spoiler from Apple: New maps application lets you search INSIDE buildings, main first customers being malls, grocery stores

Spoiler from Google: Rollout better WebML maps/earth product "sometime in the near future" with products and reviews attached to places on the map.

Mapping indoor location has it's own challenges and restrictions. Privacy is a major issue.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-crowd-sources-indoor-navigation-with-new-Android-app_id28818

• Reply 63 of 112
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

SOT:

Obviously, Google is attempting to upstage Apple with this preview so close to WWDC.

Normally, Apple also does its own announcements just prior to WWDC -- they often announce/release new hardware and software just before WWDC so as to remove any distraction and focus WWDC on a few significant things that can be covered in an hour (plus) keynote.

If this WWDC emphasis is iOS 6, iPhone, Siri, Maps, OS X ML....

What do you think Apple will announce before WWDC?

Mac Pro, Next FCP X release, MacBooks, iMacs...

• Reply 64 of 112
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

"The next dimension" obviously refers to "the third dimension," but I agree with the poster who said a weather overlay would be useful. More useful than 3D.

And don't blame the rumor sites for giving away Apple's plans, Google would have found out from the scuttlebutt in Silicon Valley anyway.

• Reply 65 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

SOT:

Obviously, Google is attempting to upstage Apple with this preview so close to WWDC.

I agree, and totally expected. Google's been at the leading edge of mapping for a some time now. 

• Reply 66 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

"The next dimension" obviously refers to "the third dimension," but I agree with the poster who said a weather overlay would be useful. More useful than 3D.

And don't blame the rumor sites for giving away Apple's plans, Google would have found out from the scuttlebutt in Silicon Valley anyway.

/agree with this:

"a weather overlay would be useful. More useful than 3D."

• Reply 67 of 112
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What do you think Apple will announce before WWDC?

Mac Pro, Next FCP X release, MacBooks, iMacs...

We have a precedent for a Mac Pro release prior to an event, but if a product gets a redesign, it's mentioned at an event. Don't we figure the Mac Pro will be redesigned?

Same with the MacBook Pro. The iMac and Mac Mini could come out before WWDC, as there's no redesign expected there (just dropping the ODD on the iMac).

• Reply 68 of 112
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    sleepy3 wrote: »
    Not Google's fault apple did a Samsung and stole their mapping. 

In my opinion, if apple reveals a mapping program it will be a huge theft and Google should go thermonuclear to correct that wrong. They should spend every cent of their money to sue Apple. After all, its what apple would do to Google if apple maps came first...................

Either you're trolling or you missed the point that Apple bought a map company. The iOS Maps app was developed by Apple using Google's back end. Now, Apple doesn't need Google's service, they are going to use their own based on data procured independently.
  • Reply 69 of 112
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Except you can just download Waze for free or pay for one of the pro apps on iOS.  iOS has no shortage of navigation solutions.  It'll just be nice to see them integrated into the core.

If Apple simply added Siri integration and a few features from Waze to the current features most users would likely be highly satisfied:

Bird's eye view (superior to "Street View" in my opinion)

Night Mode

Social media driven

User reported Events

• Reply 70 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Either you're trolling or you missed the point that Apple bought a map company.

His other 97 posts point to the former.

• Reply 71 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

His other 97 posts point to the former.

I thought he was just being sarcastic.

• Reply 72 of 112
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Because beating Apple to a rumored punch always works out well for companies. Usually, at least with HW, we see companies having to go back to the drawing board after they announce their me-too-first product.
  • Reply 73 of 112
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

At the moment, I see the hyper-realistic 3D maps as a fun novelty, but not what I'd be relying on day-to-day.

I think an even more interesting thing is an article I saw a while back showing a prototype of an opposite approach by Apple, which is maps and directions simplified to just the simple lines needed to get from here to there. I mean NO extraneous detail. The kind of maps you draw yourself when someone asks you directions, with no unnecessary distractions.

There's a case to be made that that would provide as much added value as the other end.

Brilliant. 

I can do without the junk info and visuals that come with every existing map.

• Reply 74 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I thought he was just being sarcastic.

I sort of agree, actually. Still… 

• Reply 75 of 112
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Watstein View Post

I would want to use it. Especially if they integrate latitude and offer the same features that have been missing in iOS that are in android

What do you use latitude for? Also, what features that are useful (and available in Android) are missing in iOS?

• Reply 76 of 112
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member

The thing that concerns me about the potential usability of Apple's new maps is that I don't see how they can replicate Google's massive POI database.  From Google maps I can find phone numbers, website links, user reviews, Zagat ratings, photos, etc.  Apple will have to work for years to build up a similar depth of data for locations within their mapping service unless Google is for some reason still willing to let Apple access their database.

• Reply 77 of 112
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What do you use latitude for? Also, what features that are useful (and available in Android) are missing in iOS?

See my post above for some of the features (iOS has some of them) and add to that list voice navigation, full integration with offers, and overall more detailed maps.

• Reply 78 of 112
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I do however hope that iOS 6 with the new maps also allows one to switch to the maps engine of the users' choice like they do with search.

I suspect that the reason they give that choice is that they don't have to pay for access to the engines. 

Unlike with the maps where they do have to pay .

• Reply 79 of 112
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Also, what features that are useful (and available in Android) are missing in iOS?

• Reply 80 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I suspect that the reason they give that choice is that they don't have to pay for access to the engines. 

Unlike with the maps where they do have to pay .

Doesn't Apple get paid for searches done through their implementation of search in browsers?