Netflix online movie streaming revenue explodes, slices Apple share in half

Comments

• Reply 81 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Doesn't matter though, if you only have one or two choices for internet, and its not up to FIOS quality. Not everyone has a stellar broadband connection. Whats worse is, mark my word. Your isp will soon start capping broadband usage, and give you a choice of different tiers, if you want to stream. All of a sudden, streaming videos will not be such a great deal. This is coming soon, watch it coming over the hill.

so what is the difference if you stream 2gig or download 2 gig from itunes? not a damn thing unless you plan on watching the same movie over and over and over.

• Reply 82 of 159
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

so what is the difference if you stream 2gig or download 2 gig from itunes? not a damn thing unless you plan on watching the same movie over and over and over.

The difference is you get to watch the downloaded movie multiple times. Not so of streaming with a capped/throttled/raped connection.

• Reply 83 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Netflix has a few gems, rarer titles and classics, but a lot of their inventory is padded with crappy B-movies and straight-to-video releases that nobody has ever heard of. And more often than not, if I want to watch a more recent popular movie that's absent on Netflix, I'll find it on iTunes. I like iTunes: it's fast, easy, and you never see buffering or degraded quality. You can also load it onto iPads and iPods for offline viewing. Most of the time, Netflix is trouble-free, but once in a while, the video will degrade to "multimedia CD-ROM from 1991" quality, and if you're away from WiFi, forget it.

the gold key for netflix is to add the latest movies for a rental fee like amazon prime is doing. amazon is the bigger threat to netflix and also apple. right now amazons service isn't as good as netflix and the interface needs work (a queue, etc.).

itunes? forget it. apple just doesn't get the 'cloud'. i use amazon to listen to my music, read my books, and buy lots of other things and i do it from my linux distro machine, my pc, my mac, my phone etc.

amazon and google get the cloud. icloud and itunes is sh*te.

• Reply 84 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The difference is you get to watch the downloaded movie multiple times. Not so of streaming with a capped/throttled/raped connection.

i covered that in the post.

• Reply 85 of 159
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jr_b wrote: »
    Netflix will not survive unless it offers up to date content from all studios.

Not gonna happen, its to DVD/Bluray first, then to a premium cable channel, then maybe to Netflix.
  • Reply 86 of 159

unless you use the convenience of renting it on your apple tv, then you CAN NOT transfer it anywhere, iPod, iPad, iPhone or anything else.

I have good performance with Netflix, bit had seen several buffering problems with the apple content - i complain they credit me, but it makes for a disappointing evening

• Reply 87 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

the gold key for netflix is to add the latest movies for a rental fee like amazon prime is doing. amazon is the bigger threat to netflix and also apple. right now amazons service isn't as good as netflix and the interface needs work (a queue, etc.).

itunes? forget it. apple just doesn't get the 'cloud'. i use amazon to listen to my music, read my books, and buy lots of other things and i do it from my linux distro machine, my pc, my mac, my phone etc.

amazon and google get the cloud. icloud and itunes is sh*te.

agree on the cloud bit - frustrating to have rented a movie on the apple tv, then can not watch the rest on an iPad, iPod or anything else - its really quite pathetic

• Reply 88 of 159
    samiamsamiam Posts: 27member

I have Netflix at home, and we enjoy it.  It is far too limited but a lot of older shows are still fun to watch. Renting or buying something from iTunes is prohibitively expensive. Lets take a example:  I enjoy "Justified" and "Walking Dead", both of which are on premium cable channels and would cost me around $120 a month to subscribe to the way things are package in Canada. Netflix costs me $7.99 a month but only have limited selection.  Since I canceled my cable subscription where do I get the content I want to see. Well, for about $20 a month I get about 8 Dvds sent to me through a Netflix like (zip.ca) mail service here in Canada.  My public library has tons of movies and TV shows if you take the time to look them up and get them on loan.  I just got Justified season 2 from the library and Game of Thrones. The library doesn't cost me anything (tax dollars of coarse). CTV has an iAPP that lets us stream some shows (ad supported... my wife likes criminal minds) to my apple tv which is again free.  Both Walking dead and Justified were $49.99 for the season on iTunes Game of thrones was 59.99 last time I looked (wow that is expensive)  There is no longer a rental option.  Call me cheap, but I am not going to pay $49.99 for a TV show. I do buy from iTunes from time to time, but it is a rarity. I don't think I am a minority in this. $49.99 is the same price they are charging for the physical media. In fact, I find many of the shows (1year older or more) are actually cheaper on dvd than they are on iTunes. 6 months after release I will be able to pick it up new series in the bargin bin at walmart for $19.99 if I really want to own it. 

The iTunes model is broken when it come to tv and movies. It costs far too much.  They haven't been able to bring the prices down to the tipping point that would make it worthwhile to use the streaming iTunes model as a replacement for cable. I don't know how Steve Jobs thought he solved the problem, but I can't wait to find out.

• Reply 89 of 159
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member

I have to wonder what people who think Netflix content is limited are expecting? I'd heard that mantra many times before I had signed up for the free trial. If anything, we've been pleasantly surprised at how good the selection is. There's no way anyone could ever have enough time to even browse all of the titles available, never mind watch them. At 8 bucks a month, it's by far the best entertainment value that I've ever seen.

I also wonder how new people are expecting the movies to be for $8/month unlimited? The other day my wife and I decided to brush up on the Marvel movies before going to the Avengers. Netflix had Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America. Those three movies alone would have cost me $60 on iTunes.

• Reply 90 of 159
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

I like NetFlix but I am tired of their limited selections and "new releases" from 20 years ago. l realize this is because content creators are afraid of digital download subscription services, but in reality their practices are costing the residuals from netflix, not driving people to pay for individual movie rentals. I wish copyright holders would step into the 21st century and release their stuff to Netflix, et al. It would make sense for them to delay letting go of new titles long enough to make money on individual movie rentals, then release them to Netflix for download. However, it makes no sense to release movies that have left theaters to Mail order Netflix (as they currently do) but not for streaming. What's the difference?

What I am tired of are people who have never created anything substantial in their lives telling copyright holders that they need to monetize their work using the Netflix model.

Anyways, why do these companies need Netflix to digital distribution?  At one point the technology was extremely expensive meaning Netflix was the only game in town.  Now anything with an internet connection can setup their own streaming library.  Why does ABC need to put their content on Netflix when they can simply release a ABC app and stream their content directly to consumers? 

Why do these production companies *need* Netflix?  Netflix certainly needs them.

• Reply 91 of 159
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I also wonder how new people are expecting the movies to be for $8/month unlimited? The other day my wife and I decided to brush up on the Marvel movies before going to the Avengers. Netflix had Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America. Those three movies alone would have cost me $60 on iTunes.

Netflix has neither Thor or Captain America available via their streaming platform which is what is being discussed.

• Reply 92 of 159
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Netflix has neither Thor or Captain America available via their streaming platform which is what is being discussed.

Yes they do, they are in the "New Arrivals" section.

edit:

Here's the listing on Apple TV:

aTVscreen.jpg

And on the Netflix website:

screenshot.jpg

• Reply 93 of 159
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    krabbelen wrote: »
    I guess that is pretty good in USA, but it sounds pretty low to me. I am as far out in the sticks as I can be in NL (of course everything is smaller) in a village of 4000, and our service is nothing special, but we get 20Mb/s. My dad in a small town in the middle of the UK gets 35. Many cities in Europe have services providing 50 - 150 Mb.

ISPs in the US aren't that great. I wish I could get 12MBps. I get 3MBps, and it's not that stable at that rate either. I don't think they're very shrewd either. I've asked a couple ISPs what it would cost to run me pay them to run a line and been told "there is no procedure for that".

jr_b wrote: »
    Netflix will not survive unless it offers up to date content from all studios.

That's not feasible at their pricing. If they offered newer items at a premium, I think that might be doable.

cmvsm wrote: »
    Very surprising. I cancelled my membership last month, as the Netflix selection for streaming movies is horrible. They only have a handful of new titles to stream, and rarely add anything new from week to week. If you like B and C movies, there's plenty to choose from, but be prepared to be scrolling through to cherry pick. It's only $8 per month, but a wasted $8 is a wasted $8.

I think Netflix Instant's strength is TV shows. A night of watching How I Met Your Mother (a show I didn't catch the first time around) would pay for itself vs. Amazon or Apple or any other method short of piracy or borrowing DVDs from someone I know, but I don't know anyone that has it. I've spotted a lot of other TV shows that I wanted to watch after I finish that series. For a while, I was blitzing through Top Gear, that kept me going for some time, at a good price.

jragosta wrote: »
    Stock price? Not so much.
    Subscription statistics tell the story, though. And everything I've seen says that Netflix has been losing customers. So if you include all Netflix customers who sometimes streamed content in previous years, you'd see a very different story than what's presented here. It is absolutely absurd to pretend that no one streamed on Netflix before 2010.

They did well last quarter:
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/23/netflix-q1-results/
    Whether it's a real turn-around is anyone's guess.

alandail wrote: »
    The analysis is flawed. The only thing T changed is the billing model. I used to subscribe to Netflix just for th estqreaming, I never actually ordered DVDs. They changed the billing, I changed my subscription.

I think that's a valid point.

I pay less money but somehow that represents revenue growth for streaming?

It is, technically. At first, it was a bonus service, so the revenue might be countable as zero. I think for a while it was $3/mo add-on for streaming. Then people like you and me on the basic streaming plan, we're paying $8/mo. I don't think the numbers are lying, just that people looking at the numbers should keep facts like that in mind so they don't draw incorrect conclusions.

bdkennedy wrote: »
    99¢ per episode is a rip off.

It's fine if you only wanted to watch a handful of your favorite episodes scattered around a series. It's not viable to watch a whole series that way though.

patranus wrote: »

What I am tired of are people who have never created anything substantial in their lives telling copyright holders that they need to monetize their work using the Netflix model.

Anyways, why do these companies need Netflix to digital distribution?  At one point the technology was extremely expensive meaning Netflix was the only game in town.  Now anything with an internet connection can setup their own streaming library.  Why does ABC need to put their content on Netflix when they can simply release a ABC app and stream their content directly to consumers? 

Why do these production companies *need* Netflix?  Netflix certainly needs them.

Doesn't anyone else get annoyed having a big pile of apps that all do the same thing but from segregated resources? I like having a single locus.

Also, keep in mind that a company's network and their production division are different entities. The ABC app probably only caries media aired on ABC networks. I think ABC probably sells original content to other networks too. I'm pretty sure Fox sells original TV shows to NBC at least.
  • Reply 94 of 159
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Why the 2TB Time Capsule connected to ???  Are you just purchasing directly from Apple then or are you using AirPlay from your Mac to the AppleTV?

The data is good.  I have posted links that demonstrated Apple's dominance in digital movie downloads many times in other threads.

Time Capsule is a wifi router, as well as a storage device. He said he was connecting his apple TV via ethernet, to one of the ethernet ports on the Time Capsule, hence it is not via wifi. Should be a solid fast connection.

• Reply 95 of 159
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Way to go Netflix! I wonder if Netflix on iOS-based devices has anything to do with their rapid gain this year.
    What device(s) were you using Netflix?
    edit: Now just noticing my first randomly placed question marks in the new AI forum.

Netflix is everywhere - on every Wifi Bluray player too
  • Reply 96 of 159
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    The second qtr of 2012 is almost over so why are they even reporting on Netflix growth form 2010 to 2011. That was when they started to expand internationally. I'm not surprised they had good year over year growth in 2010 - 2011 but thats pretty much irrelevant considering what has happened to them in the latter half of 2011.
  • Reply 97 of 159
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

I want to buy many movies from iTunes.

...but it's too damn expensive.

Sigh.

• Reply 98 of 159
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    razorpit wrote: »

For real news I use the BBC.
  • Reply 99 of 159
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

First, I "create substantial things" every day of the work week. Most of it is copyrighted, much of it video work.  It's what I do for a living, I'm a creative professional. Do you even subscribe to Netflix? Just curious 'cause it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about. The movies I'm talking about being released for down load on netflix are ALREADY AVAILABLE ON NETFLIX! It's just that they're only through mail order. Netflix, and their licensers would make MORE money on the digital download OF MOVIES THEY ALREADY HAVE in the netflix library, by streaming because there is no disc to duplicate or mailing fees with a download. So I ask you again genius, what's the difference to movie title owners who already offer their titles to subscription services like netflix between mailing it on a disc, or sending it by download? I mean besides it actually costing them less to offer the movie for download than it does to mail them on a disc.

• Reply 100 of 159
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    samiam wrote: »
    I have Netflix at home, and we enjoy it.  It is far too limited but a lot of older shows are still fun to watch. Renting or buying something from iTunes is prohibitively expensive. Lets take a example:  I enjoy "Justified" and "Walking Dead", both of which are on premium cable channels and would cost me around $120 a month to subscribe to the way things are package in Canada. Netflix costs me $7.99 a month but only have limited selection.  Since I canceled my cable subscription where do I get the content I want to see. Well, for about $20 a month I get about 8 Dvds sent to me through a Netflix like (zip.ca) mail service here in Canada.  My public library has tons of movies and TV shows if you take the time to look them up and get them on loan.  I just got Justified season 2 from the library and Game of Thrones. The library doesn't cost me anything (tax dollars of coarse). CTV has an iAPP that lets us stream some shows (ad supported... my wife likes criminal minds) to my apple tv which is again free.  Both Walking dead and Justified were $49.99 for the season on iTunes Game of thrones was 59.99 last time I looked (wow that is expensive)  There is no longer a rental option.  Call me cheap, but I am not going to pay $49.99 for a TV show. I do buy from iTunes from time to time, but it is a rarity. I don't think I am a minority in this. $49.99 is the same price they are charging for the physical media. In fact, I find many of the shows (1year older or more) are actually cheaper on dvd than they are on iTunes. 6 months after release I will be able to pick it up new series in the bargin bin at walmart for $19.99 if I really want to own it. 
    The iTunes model is broken when it come to tv and movies. It costs far too much.  They haven't been able to bring the prices down to the tipping point that would make it worthwhile to use the streaming iTunes model as a replacement for cable. I don't know how Steve Jobs thought he solved the problem, but I can't wait to find out.

Star Ship Galactica alone made Netfkix a bargain for me :)