Apple iPad accounts for nearly two out of every three tablet shipments

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You say that, but I've seen cases full of iPads at Best Buy, with no lines and no active unloading for sales. The same would go for their computers, I'd wager, but on a longer timeframe and in a smaller scale… 

Apple has reported it replenishes its entire product lines every 5 business days. So 4 times a month or 48 times a year they replenish their entire supply shipments. Yet, you're worried what Best Buy ships?

In three years from now, Best Buy, most likely won't exist.

• Reply 22 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

In three years from now, Best Buy, most likely won't exist.

Don't get my hopes up like that.

• Reply 23 of 36
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    That's shipped.

We saw that the iPad made up 95% of tablet web traffic, didn't we? Well, now.

I was thinking about the same thing. Samsung etc love to tell about how many they shipped, but what about sales. How many of those units a in consumer hands and stay there past the 14-30 day return window.

You can say you shipped 100 million units but that isn't so impressive if only 20 million sold and 19 million were returned within two weeks. Versus say another company that shipped 20 million. Sold all of them and only half a million were returned, 90% of that to get a better model of the same product
  • Reply 24 of 36
    melgross wrote: »
    How they know how many tablets Samsung shipped, as they don't give those numbers out,

No, Samsung happily gives out shipped numbers. They don't tell sales
  • Reply 25 of 36
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    You say that, but I've seen cases full of iPads at Best Buy, with no lines and no active unloading for sales. The same would go for their computers, I'd wager, but on a longer timeframe and in a smaller scale… 

1. Apple's channel inventory is reported quarterly - and hasn't changed all that much.
    2. Apple hasn't had a write down for unsold merchandise for at least a decade.
    3. Apple's average inventory turn figure is 5 days.

Given those facts, shipments are not significantly different than sales for Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Quote:

That's shipped.

We saw that the iPad made up 95% of tablet web traffic, didn't we? Well, now.

It's hilarious. Is Google embarrassed about that? I would imagine anyone would be embarrassed about adoption numbers this low. 

android-platform-pie.png

And there lies one of the issues I have with Android - I have no idea what the benefits or otherwise are of the different versions.

What I do find truly bizarre is the fact that I could walk into a store tomorrow and buy a brand new Android phone, that not only doesn't have the latest version of OS on it, but possibly can't even run the latest version.

At least with Apple I know that when I buy something brand new, it will be running the latest and greatest software, even if the hardware isn't the best possible (i.e. I can still buy the iPhone 4 instead of the 4S).

• Reply 27 of 36
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

1. Apple's channel inventory is reported quarterly - and hasn't changed all that much.

2. Apple hasn't had a write down for unsold merchandise for at least a decade.

3. Apple's average inventory turn figure is 5 days.

Given those facts, shipments are not significantly different than sales for Apple.

Those facts are a real testament to Tim Cooks skills.  Remember the fiasco Apples inventory used to be before he joined them.......

• Reply 28 of 36
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

As others have already pointed out, why is AI not doing a better job putting the shipped vs sold notion into focus. That should be seen in the headline or within the first paragraph. It's a very important difference.

• Reply 29 of 36
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

And there lies one of the issues I have with Android - I have no idea what the benefits or otherwise are of the different versions.

What I do find truly bizarre is the fact that I could walk into a store tomorrow and buy a brand new Android phone, that not only doesn't have the latest version of OS on it, but possibly can't even run the latest version.

At least with Apple I know that when I buy something brand new, it will be running the latest and greatest software, even if the hardware isn't the best possible (i.e. I can still buy the iPhone 4 instead of the 4S).

The irony is that fAndroids use software upgrades as an argument against Apple iPhone since older hardware versions don't get all the features whereas Android-based smartphones don't receive the latest software upgrades as a general rule.  Cognitive Dissonance (aka "Reality Distortion Field?")

• Reply 30 of 36

It's even worse than what you've highlighted. There's a strong 'bait and switch' component to all of it.

Android advocates insist that google is frequently updating Android and that many existing phones will run the latest version. What they fail to tell you is that even if the phone is technically capable of running the next version of Android, the carriers will almost certainly not make it available.

My daughter's phone met the minimum specs for something like 3 more versions of Android than the one on the phone - yet no upgrade was ever available. That's far too common.
  • Reply 31 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Apple has reported it replenishes its entire product lines every 5 business days.

I believe that was just in their stores. 3rd party might be more like every 10-15 days. That still isn't that bad though. 

• Reply 32 of 36
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Who cares about unites shipped?

Meaningless benchmark.

Heh heh. That just about says it all. Irrelevant metric.

• Reply 33 of 36
    charlituna wrote: »
    I believe that was just in their stores. 3rd party might be more like every 10-15 days. That still isn't that bad though.

No. The number is for Apple's total inventory turns - for everything they make and sell. After it's sold, it's no longer Apple's inventory - it's a sale.

Now, it's conceivable that some retailers might order more than they need and have excess units on the floor, but there's no evidence for that - and it's irrelevant unless the units are returned to Apple (which apparently isn't happening or it would appear on their 10K and 10Q forms).
  • Reply 34 of 36
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Android advocates insist that google is frequently updating Android and that many existing phones will run the latest version. What they fail to tell you is that even if the phone is technically capable of running the next version of Android, the carriers will almost certainly not make it available.

My daughter's phone met the minimum specs for something like 3 more versions of Android than the one on the phone - yet no upgrade was ever available. That's far too common.

I'm guessing there are a couple reasons for this.

The Android OEMs only make money from the initial sale of the phone... so why would they spend a bunch of time, effort and money to make software updates for an older phone? Especially for 2 years or more?

I know it would make you happy if your daughter's phone could get updates... but it wouldn't make them any more money. So I guess that's why they don't even bother.

Plus... each manufacturer could have a dozen phones on the market at any given moment... with a few new phones released every quarter. That's a lot of phones to keep updated... phones that will never earn them another dime after that initial sale.

And... the very nature of Android is that it's available from many manufacturers. If you have an HTC phone now... there's no guarantee that you'll buy another HTC phone next time. It's the same sorta thing that happens with PCs... you could have an HP now and buy a Dell next time. There's nothing really holding you to any particular brand.

You'd think the Android OEMs would do everything possible to keep customers happy so they will buy their phones again... since they only make money from the initial sale of the phone.

So I think we've found the conclusion:

They'd rather just sell you a new phone... rather than keep your current phone updated.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

The sold/shipped ratio for Apple (iPads) is very close to 1:1.  Mainly due to the fact that it's been almost impossible to get hold of an iPad by just walking into a store.

It must be different where you live. Every Apple store has them in stock here. Best Buy has them. I'm not sure about Target. 

Quote:

I'm not sure about full cases here, but they were not approaching sold out status. If you wanted one, you could buy one, which has the pleasing side effect of discouraging scalpers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's even worse than what you've highlighted. There's a strong 'bait and switch' component to all of it.

Assuming your daughter isn't an adult and making her own purchases, I'm surprised she has an an Android. Personally I would have switched to an iphone long ago if I didn't hate AT&T. I dislike changing carriers when my current coverage has been fine, and they've never messed up my billing.

• Reply 36 of 36
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    I'm curious: what is the ratio of sold/shipped for Apple? And how do these numbers correlate with the number of devices in use?

When you look at the fact that Apple turns inventory every 5 days, you can pretty much. Punt on all of them being in the sold category.