WSJ: Apple to abandon Google Maps on iOS later this year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member

I just hope they don't go overboard with 3D maps.

When trying to read a map to get somewhere, 3D is a bad idea, even if it "looks pretty"

I'd just like a constantly updating path/distance to my destination, much like vehicle GPS units work.

• Reply 42 of 88
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Mediocre?

Hardly.

The IIci was the Mac of choice amongst business and graphics professionals. Quite a bit cheaper than the IIfx but just as capable... we were willing to wait for 10 minutes for things to render.  ;-)

By the way, the IIfx came after the IIci.

Well I guess I'm biased toward the pro models. I had the SE, II, IIfx, 9500, 9600, 840AV, G3, G4, Mac Pro, with a smattering of iMacs and laptops, but always the highest configurations.

• Reply 43 of 88
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well I guess I'm biased toward the pro models. I had the SE, II, IIfx, 9500, 9600, 840AV, G3, G4, Mac Pro, with a smattering of iMacs and laptops, but always the highest configurations.

You've got your model numbers mixed up.

The IIci was the pro model of pro models. (Anyone can look it up if they want to do so)

[by the way... had a 9600, 840AV and a G3... still liked my IIci the most... I got seriously attached to it]

... and now back to regular programming...

• Reply 44 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrboba1 View Post

I just hope they don't go overboard with 3D maps.

When trying to read a map to get somewhere, 3D is a bad idea, even if it "looks pretty"

Don't worry. There'll always be a nice, top-down 2D mode that will include plain map data, satellite view, and probably then the 3D implementation, as well.

Quote:

I'd just like a constantly updating path/distance to my destination, much like vehicle GPS units work.

Though that is also a 3D view, at least on most models.

• Reply 45 of 88
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

You've got your model numbers mixed up.

The IIci was the pro model of pro models. (Anyone can look it up if they want to do so)

... and now back to regular programming...

Sorry I was thinking of the lc

• Reply 46 of 88
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Sorry I was thinking of the lc

Hell... I bought a Performa... once.

• Reply 47 of 88

Quote:

Hell... I bought a Performa... once.

"How many megs of RAM, Carmine?"

• Reply 48 of 88
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

As a reminder, at one time mapping and navigation was not a core competency for Google.  

• As reported by Business Week; As of October 30, 2004, ZipDash, Inc. was acquired by Google Inc. ZipDash, Inc. provides real time traffic information on mobile devices. The company develops a software which allows cell-phone users with Global Positioning Satellite systems (GPS) to view the movement of traffic. The company was founded in 2003 and is based in Palo Alto, California.

• According to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation Lars Rasmussen, who with his brother Jens, co-founded a mapping start-up, Where 2 Technologies, which was acquired by Google in 2004. Lars joined Google and this acquisition became Google Maps.

• According to a Google press release "Google Inc. (Nasdaq: GOOG) today announced it acquired Keyhole Corp., a Mountain View, Calif.-based digital mapping company..."  "...With Keyhole, you can fly like a superhero from your computer at home to a street corner somewhere else in the world – or find a local hospital, map a road trip or measure the distance between two points," said Jonathan Rosenberg, vice president, Product Management. "This acquisition gives Google users a powerful new search tool, enabling users to view 3D images of any place on earth as well as tap a rich database of roads, businesses and many other points of interest. Keyhole is a valuable addition to Google’s efforts to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful..."

• CNet reported that Google has acquired @Last Software, a 3D-design toolmaker and developer of the SketchUp software, the start-up announced Tuesday.  @Last Software, a Boulder, Colo.-based company, marks the latest acquisition by the rapidly expanding search giant. @Last Software's SketchUp, which is used by architects, game players, woodworkers and others, has a plug-in designed to allow developers to export 3D models into Google Earth.

• Network World reported that Google has acquired portions of a Swiss company called Endoxon in order to improve the European maps in its Google Earth PC application and the Google Maps online search service.  Endoxon develops Asynchronous JavaScript + XML mapping technologies for integrating and processing geo-referenced data and high-resolution aerial and satellite images for dynamic Internet and mobile services, according to the company's site.

• Reply 49 of 88
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,778member
    IIci??!

I had a IIci for my business and it was one of the best computers I've ever used. Very easy to upgrade, fast and highly dependable. One of Apple's most successful computers.

I think you got your model numbers mixed up.

IIsi maybe.

I agree, I have a IIci in my 'nostalgia cupboard'. It still works fine.
  • Reply 50 of 88
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    <p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Arial;"><span style="letter-spacing:0px;">As a reminder, at one time mapping and navigation was not a core competency for Google.  </span>
    </p>
    But Apple isn't competing against Google from 2005. Apple needs to compete with the Google of today and all the mapping knowledge and experience they have amassed since originally launching Google Maps.

3D is a gimmick (and probably will be available in just a few cities). What matters is the quality of 2D maps. If Apple's replacement maps aren't as good as Google Maps today this could back fire on Apple.
  • Reply 51 of 88

Quote:

He/she talks like street view will no longer be available on Apple products.

If he/she wants street view then go to Google Maps.

My guess is that Apple will offer something a tad different... an application where maps is what is important... not looking to see the colour of someone's house.

This is entirely a guess at this point but I believe Apple will provide a 3D bird's eye view automatically oriented and centered on the user's current location.  Such a solution would provide an amazing hybrid of 3D views and street level views (aka a bird's eye view).   The controls for the C3 Technologies solution are quite unwieldy (for a small form factor mobile device) if the Nokia Maps 3D interpretation is a good representation (I believe it is a good representation).  Furthermore, automatic orientation and centering of a 3D bird's eye view is an excellent expression of Apple's simple but elegant philosophy which would make 3D maps far more than a novelty.

• Reply 52 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

But Apple isn't competing against Google from 2005. Apple needs to compete with the Google of today and all the mapping knowledge and experience they have amassed since originally launching Google Maps.

3D is a CURRENTLY a gimmick (and probably will be available in just a few cities). What matters is the quality of 2D maps. If Apple's replacement maps aren't as good as Google Maps today this could back fire on Apple.

What innovations has Google made?  The acquisitions Google made were brilliant and extended Google advertisements into location services quite effectively but they haven't made significant strides outside of those acquisitions.  

The acquisitions made by Apple demonstrably provided solutions competitive with or better than Google Maps, Google Earth and Google Earth 3D.  Apple has had at least three years to make maps and navigation a core competency and has likely thought about those services for a much longer period of time.

Fixed your comment.  3D maps are currently a gimmick.  Apple is the company that could make 3D maps useful.  Until Siri, voice commands were a gimmick and many, especially fAndroids, believe voice commands are still a gimmick although this difference may be due to the conversational interface with personalization, semantic analysis and context awareness.

C3 Technologies had 3D maps for more than 100 cities more than one year ago.

Maps based on Apple technology rather than Google technology does not need to be as good as Google based Maps.  Maps simply needs to be "good enough" although the solution will far surpass that standard.  As I have already indicated in previous posts much of the technology in Maps is already based on technology from companies other than Google.

• Reply 53 of 88
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

There have been rumors about this for years, I have no doubt that it is finally happening. 

Yep. And yet note that WSJ is saying "could". hedging their bets in case they are wrong about the timing. First smart move they have made in a while when it comes to Apple. 

• Reply 54 of 88
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, it will have Siri integration for absolutely everything, and it might even have turn by turn. 

Actually knowing Apple it won't have either. At least not any more so than the current system has. And that lack of 'real' turn by turn with Siri voice feedback etc will be touted as the main failure for the system and why it sucks. 

• Reply 55 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Actually knowing Apple it won't have either. At least not any more so than the current system has. And that lack of 'real' turn by turn with Siri voice feedback etc will be touted as the main failure for the system and why it sucks. 

"touted as the main failure for the system and why it sucks."

Exactly.

Stay tuned for the 6th generation iPhone though.

• Reply 56 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

"touted as the main failure for the system and why it sucks."

Exactly.

Stay tuned for the 6th generation iPhone though.

Apple can't keep doing that and expect people to shower them with praise.

• Reply 57 of 88
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

What innovations has Google made?  The acquisitions Google made were brilliant and extended Google advertisements into location services quite effectively but they haven't made significant strides outside of those acquisitions.  

C3 Technologies had 3D maps for more than 100 cities more than one year ago.

Maps based on Apple technology rather than Google technology does not need to be as good as Google based Maps.  Maps simply needs to be "good enough" although the solution will far surpass that standard.  As I have already indicated in previous posts much of the technology in Maps is already based on technology from companies other than Google.

To the end user I don't think it matters if it was Google invented or Google acquired tech.

Good enough is also a very hard problem for maps. Just "Can I see my house?" requires massive amounts of up-to-date data. 

ps 100 cities sounds impressive but that probably includes lots of small cities. Just San Francisco and Silicon Valley is something like a dozen separate cities on its own.

• Reply 58 of 88
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

I think that is the concern: There will be no Google Maps on iOS. If Apple replaces the default maps application on iOS they will likely disallow Google from releasing a stand alone maps app as it would violate their rule of no app can duplicate core iOS functionality.

My concern would not be so much whether Google has a stand alone app, but how maps in general is integrated on the iPhone. I can receive an email with an address or click on address book and get driving, transit and walking directions, street view too. If the new map lost any of that functionality, then there would be a lot of complaining. The good thing is current iPhone users would not have to upgrade.

• Reply 59 of 88
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

I think that is the concern: There will be no Google Maps on iOS. If Apple replaces the default maps application on iOS they will likely disallow Google from releasing a stand alone maps app as it would violate their rule of no app can duplicate core iOS functionality.

My guess is that you'll be able to use the Google Maps iOS app that Google will likely release, but it won't be the default Maps application called by the iOS APIs.

• Reply 60 of 88
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Google, or whatever, would still be browser available. Stick a bookmark icon on the desktop and you're golden.