Insiders say Apple upgrading next-gen iPhone display to 4" with 16:9 ratio

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    moochmooch Posts: 113member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

First mistake was calling it the iPhone 5, lost my interest after that.

It will just be "the new iPhone"

• Reply 22 of 71

If its true I'm sure the changes are OS related. Can't imagine Apple just adding 1 more row of apps. The screen is always about the software. They won't change aspect ratio if its not because of the software.

• Reply 23 of 71
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

The screen size rumor is not really news since it's been floating for over two weeks now.  All this guy did was read a few blogs to gather this information.  I'm cool with the iPhone getting a little longer, but I don't see what it gains by doing so--other than being able to say the iPhone has a 4" screen.  Sure, text will be bigger in landscape mode, but I seldom read that way. 

I'm more curious about the design of the phone--ooh, and Siri's evolution.  The Leica style of the 4/4S is a bit long in the tooth.  Hopefully Apple will give us something fresh the next time around.

• Reply 24 of 71

I hope not.....looks too "feminine" to me.

• Reply 25 of 71

Many of you are thinking about it all wrong:

First, Apple is VERY focused on not changing the form factor or previous app compatability with future phones. That does not mean it will never change but simply that it won't change if it absolutely doesn't have to.

The existing form factor of the phone can likely easily accomodate a wider and taller 4"+/- screen.

Yes some of you may find phones larger to use with one hand (Apple's criterion for maximum screen and phone size) but remember that the phone has to accomodate those with small and large hands not just your hands. So, it's highly unlikely the phone size will change but if it does it will be only slighly in the unlikely case that Apple simply finds it cannot accomodate a 4" screen and the home button, earpiece, etc.

Both the screen width and height can change and still work with existing apps. Black bars would merely be provided both on the sides and top and bottom of the screen for apps that were not modified for the new screen size. So all existing apps would automatically and instantly work with the new screen size both if it was taller and wider. This again agrees with Apple's policy of making things easy for developers.

Aside from a slightly larger screen so that a slightly larger 16:9 aspect ratio can be the norm in the future for the iPhone, Apple is not focused on a larger form factor for the phone itself at all. They certainly are not losing sales because their form factor is not larger and it doesn't make sense to make it larger as the phone is extremely useable as it is. They are focused on increasing battery life, decreasing phone weight (within reason - too light a phone would not be good either although that concern likely won't be something they have to think about for quite some time given the increasing number of things they are packing into the phone and the fact that they'll always make the battery bigger and therefore heavier if they have the space), increasing camera quality and resolution, adding more wireless radios such as LTE, etc., adding NFC or a similar payment scheme in order to harvest more profits from transactions, improving audio quality and other functions that increase the usefulness and versatility of the phone.

As for when the new iPhone will be introduced, all this chatter about when it will be is useless as Apple doesn't even know at this time. It's always a moving target for them because it is so dependent on so many things that have to come together at the right time.

Oh and while I am at it. There will be no Apple HDTV as Apple cannot really add any value to the display electronics or display itself more so that any existing HDTV manufacturers. What there will be, if at all, is a device complementary to Apple TV which makes an HDTV easier to use. They won't sell both the HDTV (LOW margin) and the device (HIGH margin) if they can just sell the device itself and make a much higher overall profit margin and return on invested equity. Apple is also not interested in selling devices with extremely low replacement cycles (7 yrs +/1 for HDTV's vs 2 yrs +/- for what they currently sell). Apple doesn't have to produce an HDTV in order to facilitate this as all the functionality is in the software which would be in the device and that device would work in conjunction with any existing HDTV you have similar to the way Apple TV works now. Also, a lower ticket price (ie of the device vs the device as a part of the HDTV) will drive sales that are multiples higher than if the ticket price was mutiples higher. In addition, this device will work with any HDTV rather than only with or as a part of an Apple HDTV. Again, higher sales. My strong suspicion is that this device which will be complementary to the Apple TV is what people are wrongly thinking will be the iPad mini. Instead it will be a smaller display which you use with Apple TV to operate your existing HDTV, similar to the current Apple TV Remote App for the iPhone/iTouch. On a larger screen such as what people think will be the iPad Mini it will be much easier to use.

• Reply 26 of 71
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new analysis claims Apple will likely increase the size of the display on its next iPhone to 4.08 inches with a resolution of 1,136 x 640 pixels and a ratio of 16:9. .... 

I have to say that neither Kuo's report, nor Apple Insider's re-stating of the facts of it, really qualify as "analysis."  He is merely stating what we already assume in plain language.  

"Analysis" might be some kind of comparison to the current phone or to other phones or some kind of description of where he got the basic facts from and how he arrived at this conclusion.  Merely stating the rumour (again), is hardly "analysis."

• Reply 27 of 71
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I think a taller 4 inch screen is ugly. The best size screen I have used is the one on the nexus s 4g. Perfect balance IMO. I can operate it with one hand easily.
  • Reply 28 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new analysis claims Apple will likely increase the size of the display on its next iPhone to 4.08 inches with a resolution of 1,136 x 640 pixels and a ratio of 16:9. ...

I know he discounts the parts leaks (although he doesn't say why), but those drawings of his don't match them very well. 

• Reply 29 of 71
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I hope not.....looks too "feminine" to me.

Chest beating over the length of your phone sounds masculine. Put an image of a bulbous member on the lock screen if you need more.

• Reply 30 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

It will just be "the new iPhone"

Judging by what we've seen so far I think it will be called:

"iPhone HD Xtreeme Home Edition"

• Reply 31 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If Apple is going to go to the trouble of using 1146x960 then why not just use the same displays they've been using since 2010 for the 6th gen iPhone? Going with a 4.08" 320 PPI display means they are using new panels. There has to be a good reason for them to invest in a new production when they have the 326 PPI panels already being made.

tylerk36 wrote: »
    Oh but wait.  It's an iPhone 6.  We have it on reliable source that it will be called iPhone 6.  NOT!!!!!!!!!!!  Remember...  You know who you are.  You said the next iPhone will be called iPhone 6. Shall I copy and paste your quote?
    Are you claiming it will be called iPhone 5?

why not push in the extra pixels, and make it a 1280x720?
    What's the point of that? What does that specific resolution do to make the user experience better?
  • Reply 32 of 71
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

hmmm

So android phones go for bigger screens..............apple goes for bigger screens.

Google does maps....apple does maps

google does voice actions......apple does siri

android does drop down notification......apple does drop down notifications

android does multi-tasking.......apple does multi-tasking

Samsung does rectangular TV with uncluttered front......apple does rectangular TV with uncluttered front (if iTV is true)

What's next? itube? imail? iface unlcok?

lol

• Reply 33 of 71
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John F. View Post

Because then no app would run. iOS app layout are pixel precise. Android is not pixel precise, it simply rearranges elements to fit. Both systems have pro and cons. The pro on Apple is that the layout the developer makes is exactly what the user gets. Androids pro is that it can fit to any screen size. It all is about user experience in the end.

No, iOS apps (the non-OpenGL game ones anyway) are POINT precise.  The layout is for 480x320 and that translates into however many pixels in the end device (1 for 3GS, 2x2 for retina).  

The rumored resolution in points is 573x320...meh.  Adding a whole new UI target for 93 points of additional space?

If I have to target both 480x320 and 573x320 I can target 480x320 for everything below the phone and any res and aspect ratio from the next phone forwards for more width as well as height.  Pillar boxing and letter boxing existing apps will be ugly regardless.

Or better yet a 1440 x 960 4.3" screen...still retina and we just need to update our art assets again.

• Reply 34 of 71
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Close to it, but not exactly it. They have obviously seen the galaxy s and tab with the 16:9 ration and decided if Samsung have it we want it too.

Crap. You caught them. Whatever shall Apple do now that the cat is out of the bag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Oh but wait.  It's an iPhone 6.  We have it on reliable source that it will be called iPhone 6.  NOT!!!!!!!!!!!  Remember...  You know who you are.  You said the next iPhone will be called iPhone 6. Shall I copy and paste your quote?

No, I've never said that. I always say it won't be "iPhone 5". Not any specific name. The likelihood that it's "the new iPhone" is enormous now, however.

Quote:

As for the screen?  I won't believe it till I see it.  Lets say maybe Monday?

Are you honestly suggesting the next iPhone is coming out at WWDC?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I can only guess that TallestSkill's head really exploded with the multiple references to "iPhone 5"! I'm interested in seeing the graphic he posts this time. The Morgan Freeman one from The Dark Knight was his best yet!

He's an analyst (strike one) that used the term 'iPhone 5' (strike seventy five, all future batters out, game called on account of a deluge of stupidity). Not much more needs said. image

I do, however, have an image reserved for if Apple does call it 'iPhone 5'. It's basically what my face will look like. I hope I never have to post it.

• Reply 35 of 71
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are you claiming it will be called iPhone 5?

The rumor says it will be called the iPhone 5.

Can't you see it!? Right there... in the rumor... iPhone 5!

Oh, wait...

[oh, good... TS finally replied. I thought this article was too much for him and he stroked out.]

• Reply 36 of 71
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Close to it, but not exactly it. They have obviously seen the galaxy s and tab with the 16:9 ration and decided if Samsung have it we want it too.

yeah cause Apple is all about doing what the other boys are doing. especially the ones they accuse of violating trade dress patents. 

Sorry but if this is the only reason for Apple to make this move then it's a no go

• Reply 37 of 71
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

You know, thinking about it, moving to less than the current density is just fine.  The 44 point interaction minimum is pretty tight as it is.  I miss type keys on the on screen keyboard still and slightly bigger buttons would be better for me.  So a 4" iPhone/Touch with the current resolution is fine by me.

• Reply 38 of 71
    ufwaufwa Posts: 64member

Please stop posting from this guy/person.

He has NO insider sources. None, nada, zip.

Everyone of his "reports" comes out AFTER all the rumor sites and leaks occur.  I have never seen this guy post an original report. The only work this guy does is attach a title of "analyst" and throws out the far fetched things.

• Reply 39 of 71
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member

Taller not wider would mean that most iPhone appliances should still work with the newer iPhone. I believe this is why we are not going to see a wider phone. Unless they plan on making some weird doc adapter.

• Reply 40 of 71
    gs turngs turn Posts: 30member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You need to open your mind a little bit. Making the iPhone slightly longer without adding significant width would drastically improve usability of the pocketable device. Don't get hung up on all the tweaking around aspect ratios. Instead think about how a wider screen is the best way for Apple to improve usability, especially in landscape mode.

I say this with great sincerity as I'm typing this response on my iPhone right now. The text in this edit pane is too small and the scrolling right and left a pain for editing and verification is a pain in the butt. The key here is how do you improve the users experience without turning iPhone into a huge brick, I don't know of a better solution than a wider screen.

Improvement in Landscape mode. Are you kidding.  Yes it will enlarge everything in Landscape mode and nothing in Portrait mode.  That is BAD in both modes. BAD in Portrait mode because it is to small now and will make no improvement in text sizes, but does show more screen.  BAD in landscape mode because everything will auto fill the screen and you will have less visible on screen, and the keyboard will take more screen space so all that will be left is a sliver of visible page. What we need is more screen width and height in the same Aspect Ratio.

16-9.png