Apple's next iPhone may sport HD-capable front camera, be just 7.9mm thick

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Never used the front facing camera. Do many people use Facetime or Skype?

I do not use Facetime because of the WiFi requirements. Much like Siri, I only used it once or twice.

• Reply 22 of 33
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    antkm1 wrote: »
    Seriously AI? A typo on the heading in big bold red letters? Someone needs to be demoted to trash duty for that. The editing of these articles has gotten worse and worse since I've been reading.
    Edit: thanks for fixing "thicj"
    Speaking of things that have only gotten worse over time, the iPhone camera (for indoor use, strictly speaking) has been freaking abismal ever since they added a flash, and has decreased in usability since the gen 1 iPhone, which took amazing indoor shots. The light balance on the gen1&2 iphones had such better light balance and much less fuzz than the current ones do. Sure they updated the software and more megapixels and added a flash, but I used to be able to take fairly good ( if not great ) indoor shots at museums with my iPhone 3G but when I got the 3GS I Instantly noticed a fuzziness and diminished light balance. Then when I got the iPhone 4, the indoor shots were higher resolution fuzz, not to mention that the flash severally over exposes the images, like this dude's nose above. My 7 year old Nikon point-and-shoot 7mp takes way better indoor shots, with or without a flash.
    Now I will say that outdoor pictures has gotten better with each new release, but camera tech. under day lighting is pretty hard to mess up.

Your iPhone 1 must have been very different from mine. My 4S's camera is an order of magnitude better than was my 1's.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Makes MUCH more sense to keep the same thickness and put a battery that lasts three days in there. 

. ...

I'd be happy with a battery that lasts ONE day.

• Reply 24 of 33
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not at all!

First; most of the time I don't want people to see me and frankly seeing others doesnt do much for me.

Second; bandwidth is an issue. WiFi is seldom available and you pay for data usage so why even think about FaceTime or Skype on a cell phone?

Third; an HD camera makes even less sense considering the two issues above.

My daughter, nephew and I FaceTime frequently (up to daily).  The existing camera is okay for this purpose but I'm sure that Apple will have a solution for lower-bandwidths if required.

All the best.

• Reply 25 of 33
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member

Good news if it's true - it's great to be able to snap a picture with somebody while you and they look at the front facing camera.  

• Reply 26 of 33
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Seriously, the iPad should have a HD camera on the front, given that the rear camera is wasted.

• Reply 27 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    philboogie wrote: »
    1st: That's what I thought. I don't feel inclined to show myself and don't have the need or desire to see the other person. I did try to 'test' FT just to see what the quality was like. Well, indoors in opoor lighting it is obviously poor. Never tried it outdoors.
    2nd: WiFi is available pretty much everywhere I go (save for my bicycle rides) but Skype should work over 3G, which is available everywhere I go (except for the one least likely spot: the neighborhood where our largest telco's CEO lives - go figure). Dataplans are still cheap, but slowly being capped here in The Netherlands.
    3rd: good point! I wouldn't mind sharing a grainy picture, but for the other party to be able to count my nasal hairs... I don't think so.

That's how you see your own 'Boogies!'
  • Reply 28 of 33
    I have to say as someone in the business, using both Pro HD video cameras as well as Pro DSLRs , the technology behind Apple's camera lenses to fit them in these thin devices is totally mind boggling.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    sleepy3 wrote: »
    What's the point reducing the thickness if it will still not have the useless title "thineest smartphone in the world" Its like what? 6.something mm now?

Makes MUCH more sense to keep the same thickness and put a battery that lasts three days in there. 

The thickness race is over. Phones are plenty slim enough. When you have to quote your thickness in tenths of MILLIMETER (!!!!), then its kinda ridiculous. Soon it will be "well my phone is 10 microns thinner than yours"

Big Batteries FTW. 

Especially if you want a camera lens in there too!
  • Reply 30 of 33
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    That's how you see your own 'Boogies!'

Hahaha good one!

Snap

I wanted to give you a thumbs-up but this Huddler tech won't allow that on an iPad. The button 'add to reputation' doesn't work. Really AI, please go back to vBulletin.

Thanks much.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's sixth-generation iPhone could include a front-facing camera capable of HD resolution, according to a new reported from a trusted analyst insider.

Oh, so your neighbor then? Gotcha.

• Reply 32 of 33
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    jouster wrote: »
    Your iPhone 1 must have been very different from mine. My 4S's camera is an order of magnitude better than was my 1's.

In what aspect? Only resolution? Light balance? Indoor vs outdoor? Be more specific and we can have a conversation.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    antkm1 wrote: »
    In what aspect? Only resolution? Light balance? Indoor vs outdoor? Be more specific and we can have a conversation.

In everything.

As a 1st gen owner and 4th gen having-seen-and-useder, the camera on mine is inferior in every possible way.