New Ultrabooks still viewed as 'too pricey' next to Apple's MacBook Air

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'd suggest Parallels, Fusion, or VMWare on the Mac. He can run his game without having to buy a new computer.

If it's the latest high speed action game, that might not be suitable. In that case, install Boot Camp on the Mac and it should be fine.

Well, graphics in Macs (and majority of PC laptops) would not be suitable for some of the latest games anyway - even if you run Windows natively.

Re the son and the grandson, honestly - 15 to 20 minutes to boot? Unless it was a small trick to steer youngster to the right path, it says more about user than about Windows...

• Reply 42 of 45
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by atokosch View Post

All i have to say is that, i dont think Ultra Books will ever catch on and save the PC industry, if you want a slim computer that is great, and if you do your research correctly then you will go with a MacBook Air or the new MacBook Pro, an Ultra Book is just a wanna be MacBook Air which is in this case is a more expensive laptop and which is also crap. The only people that buy Ultra Books are the PC nerds that want one to say hey, i have a computer that is like the MacBook Air but is not as good, and is more expensive. Good luck Microsoft and Intel! Wish the best of you guys, Intels business in a few years will be the companies that want Intels chips in their tablets, hopefully in a few years Apple will be making their own chip set for the Mac like it does with its current iOS Device line.

Heh. I did my research correctly, and I think Asus Zenbook Prime is the ultraportable for me to go for. Even if I don't count OS (and all the software I'd have to re-purchase for OSX - if available), I think it is nicer machine. Re price, time will tell - ZBP is still not advertised here in NZ, but MBA is NZ$1559 for 11" and NZ$1999 for 13". I'm pretty confident 13" ZBP will not break $2000.

By the way, very nice attempt to to insult everyone who does not think like you. Such arrogance...

• Reply 43 of 45
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokenuser View Post

Unfortunately the idea of the "Apple Tax" is outdated, but still pervasive.

Of course the idea of apple tax is outdated.

In the past, users paid for Apples high margin - this became the so-called "Apple tax"

In the subsequent years, and built on the back of the ipod and then iphone success, Apple have managed to align supply chain, manufacturing costs and component costs that their products are produced as cheaply as possible, enabling the same margins, but at a more feasible price structure for hte consumer.

The modern apple tax is 'paid' for by others.

• Reply 44 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    kyrra wrote: »
    Very few people had issues with the transition to 64-bit windows.  The only problems tended to be drivers that didn't get updated for Vista and Win7.  All 32-bit apps are supported on 64-bit windows without an issue.

Vista caused a lot of issues because MS changed the driver architecture a year before release, which didn't give all the hardware vendors time to update their drivers.  So Vista launched and lots of hardware didn't work due to missing drivers (or poorly implemented drivers).  This was a huge mistake for MS, but something they have been more careful about.

What you're saying isn't correct either. Anti- virus programs rarely ran if they were 32 bit. Actually, all "kernal mode" programs didn't run, or had major problems. As with most things, this wasn't a simple problem.

In addition, a number of "32" bit programs still had 16 bit code, which caused serious problems. Only clean 32 bit programs, with the exception of what I said above, could run in 64 bit Windows. But that wasn't Microsoft's fault.
  • Reply 45 of 45

You can't be a Ultrabook without an SSD. They are awesome. My MacBook Air is better than my parent's MacBook Pro because of it's SSD.