Apple still expected to retire 17-inch MacBook Pro in 2012

Comments

• Reply 141 of 183
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member

This move wouldn't surprise me. Depress me, yes, but not surprise me considering what they did with the Xserve, FCP, anything remotely 'Pro"...

I've lugged around many Macs over the years, but my 17" MacBook Pro has been my favorite. I will not buy a 15" MacBook. I'm not saying this as an act of defiance or because I think Tim Cook is reading this, but because I have no interest in the downgrade. Most likely I will keep my eyes open for a 17" PC laptop that can work as a workable hackintosh. Hopefully one with a good matte screen.

It's not a matter of pixels—it's a matter of real estate, clarity, and ease of use. I'm more productive with my 17" MPB—period. Until someone perfects a real retina display (one that attaches to your retina), the 17" laptop is the best solution for me.

Who would want a 15" MacBook "Pro" anyway? Why not just get an Air? I'd buy a 17" Air, but that won't happen because Apple is convinced that 17" must cost a bazillion dollars and an Air must be cheap.

What Apple should do is make the 17" more enticing. Get rid of the optical drive and trim the cost. Hell, make it a 19". However they seem more likely to trim their lineup to one product then convince the fanboys that it's all for the best. Hey, let's cram more pixels into an iPhone and hook it up to an external monitor so we don't even need a Mac!

• Reply 142 of 183
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    My new 2009 HP tower had a bad video card. After two times trying to get tech support to diagnose the problem they recognized it was a bad component. They offered to replace the computer and they did. I got the same thing with a slightly different case. It was at the end of the product cycle and I got the newer version of the same thing.

Apple tech support asked questions about my defective battery and said nothing could be done. Then I went up the ladder and got the same type of response. I did online research because I knew that Apple had recalled defective batteries in the past. I proved to them that my battery was made by Sony and that it was the same type of battery. They refused to replace it even though it was exhibiting the same problems such as extreme expansion within the metal battery case.

Apple's refusal required me to take further action. I reported the battery to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. I described the problem just as I did to the Apple technicians. Months later an Apple representative contacted me because of that report. I was asked to bring the computer to a local tech support place because there are no Apple stores in my state. The technician photographed the battery and sent it to Apple.

A day or so later Apple agreed to exchange that battery. The one they sent to me worked for just a month then died. They wouldn't replace that one. Apparently these Sony batteries all came from the same batch and there really aren't any newer ones.

I feel HP recognized hardware problems faster and will exchange items with less hassle. HP also exchanged a defective printer for me. They didn't even require me to send the old one back. I suppose they felt it would be cheaper for them to let me keep it than for them to pay for shipping to get a broken printer they would have to repair, or throw away. When I exchanged my computer, HP sent a shipping label AND a box for it.

I've read horror stories about PC companies not honoring their warranties but so far I haven't experienced that.

Which is why anecdotal evidence is not very relevant. It's too likely that an individual response would not be representative.

Every time a survey is done Apple's tech support is at or near the top of the list. Sometimes well ahead of everyone else.
  • Reply 143 of 183
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Comparable isn't leading.

If Apple isn't putting in the top of the line chips into their computers then they are not leading. They are behind. If they aren't using the latest chips first then they aren't leading. They are behind.

We weren't talking about leading.

You said that Apple doesn't make fast small computers. You were wrong.

You don't need to be the very fastest to be fast.
  • Reply 144 of 183
    satchsatch Posts: 19member

FAIL. WRONG.

• Reply 145 of 183
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Shame about the 17". At least the replacement in the line up has 2 thunderbolt ports.

• Reply 146 of 183
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    satch wrote: »
    FAIL. WRONG.

They went back to 16:10 though and at least offer something compelling for the extra money: fast SSD, lighter, less glare, high resolution, extra 512MB VRAM and dual Thunderbolt. Just making it bigger wasn't that compelling for $300.

I think they should have ditched the old models though and made a 13" equivalent.

Seems like they removed the writing from the display too. That's a bit odd but the desktops don't have their names on them.
  • Reply 147 of 183

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Which is why anecdotal evidence is not very relevant. It's too likely that an individual response would not be representative.

Every time a survey is done Apple's tech support is at or near the top of the list. Sometimes well ahead of everyone else.

You asked why I had that opinion and I answered you. Now you feel it is irrelevant. Don't ask for something if you don't want to hear the answer or intend to dismiss any answer given to you.

I wasn't part of any customer satisfaction survey.

• Reply 148 of 183

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

We weren't talking about leading.

You said that Apple doesn't make fast small computers. You were wrong.

You don't need to be the very fastest to be fast.

Other companies make faster small computers. If Apple makes the same speed computers as most other computer manufactures in each class, then they are just middle of the road producers. If they made computers that were faster than their competition then I would say they made fast computers relative to their competition.

If we extend this to the entire length of time computers have been made then indeed Apple does make fast small computers relative to things made a decade ago. It's a silly comparison but it is the one you are using.

Just today I saw some interesting things being done with the lowly Intel Atom 500 series processors with multiple cores. When paired with Nvidia's ION GPU they can do some wonderful video work. The thing is they can be packaged in such small packages that they are as small as modems. They also use less than thirty watts. There is a German company that packs the latest Core i7 processors into a box just a little bit bigger. Apple isn't doing that at all. The Mini is more than twice the size of that.

Apple is leading Microsoft in software but other companies are leading with hardware innovation.

Leading is important.

• Reply 149 of 183
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Apple is leading Microsoft in software but other companies are leading with hardware innovation.

Do other companies have more powerful laptops in the same or smaller cases?

• Reply 150 of 183

Do other companies have more powerful laptops in the same or smaller cases?

The new retina MBP has an IPS display too.
  • Reply 151 of 183
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The new retina MBP has an IPS display too.

Okay now I may have to look at it. It's still silly though. So many people buy laptops then just leave them on their desks. I wouldn't even own a laptop if I did that. Still waiting on the ivy mini marvin? that was previously what you wanted to purchase (see? I do pay attention).

• Reply 152 of 183
    hmm wrote: »
    Still waiting on the ivy mini marvin? that was previously what you wanted to purchase (see? I do pay attention).

Yeah, I think the Mini is great. An IB version probably won't be that impressive in CPU performance but if they get a 640M GT in there, that would be a very nice machine (it can run the DX11 Heaven tessellation test in real-time). Throw in 16GB RAM and a Samsung 830 SSD and it will churn through most tasks quite easily. I'm disappointed it didn't arrive already but it'll likely be next month. They always do the laptops first.
  • Reply 153 of 183
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah, I think the Mini is great. An IB version probably won't be that impressive in CPU performance but if they get a 640M GT in there, that would be a very nice machine (it can run the DX11 Heaven tessellation test in real-time). Throw in 16GB RAM and a Samsung 830 SSD and it will churn through most tasks quite easily. I'm disappointed it didn't arrive already but it'll likely be next month. They always do the laptops first.

Yeah so when can we expect the Mini update?  Next month will be a year.

• Reply 154 of 183
    welshdog wrote: »
    Yeah so when can we expect the Mini update?  Next month will be a year.

Yearly updates are becoming standard for all of Apple's products.

Last iMac update was 05/2011 (406 days), last Mini update was 07/2011 (328 days), the last major MBP update was 02/2011 so the MBP was the most in need of a refresh (473 days).

They like to offset product releases but they have to avoid their popular lines going stale. The iMac is a popular part of their lineup, there is absolutely no way in hell they will leave it until 2013 without an update. I think we'll see an update in July/August for both the iMac and Mini. Then they do the iOS stuff in September, break for Christmas, iPad and start over.
  • Reply 155 of 183

Read today (post WWDC) that the 17" is definitely discontinued. All I have to say is, I'm already having to magnify (zoom) the screen for most things on my 17". Higher resolution just means everything smaller, for the most part. Sure, clearer, but smaller. I think this is a poor decision on Apple's behalf and, to me, the first clear sign that the Visionary has been replaced by a Supply Line expert.

...lamenting our loss of Steve.

• Reply 156 of 183
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by motoservo View Post

Higher resolution just means everything smaller....

I think this is a poor decision on Apple's behalf and, to me, the first clear sign that the Visionary has been replaced by a Supply Line expert.

False premise. Shitty conclusion.

• Reply 157 of 183
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    eksodos wrote: »
    <p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;"> </p>

<p style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;">You just have to trust Apple to make the best decisions for consumers. I am a 17" MacBook Pro owner and I love the product. But if Apple discontinues the 17" model this year, then I'll support their decision and reward their bravery by purchasing the 15" model. You can't walk away from this Apple family just because you don't get everything you want all the time. Apple is wonderful company, they deserve our ongoing support by buying the amazing products they continue to unleash upon us.</p>

No, Apple deserves my support for making an outstanding product that meets my needs. I walk away from a company when I pay a premium for it and they don't provide for my needs. Trimming a few mm off the thickness and failing to provide larger storage or display options is a non-beginner for me. I could care less about the retina display. You still have to blow the size of everything up just to make it human readable, and you lose the extra screen size in the bargain. Sure the text will look great, but it wasn't as if it was unreadable with lower pixel density. I'm reading these responses and reviews and just shaking my head. Someone was praising the internals even though the laptop was given the poorest possible score for repairs after it's teardown. The inside of a laptop doesn't have to look nice if it sacrifices functionality. Cosmetic appearance of the inside is COMPLETELY redundant. A glued in battery, which happened to be glued in on top of the cable for the track pad making replacement of components problematic. Poor design choices all to race to the thinnest possible 'appliance' when a computer is not an appliance in the Pro line. That isn't what the Pro line was about. The Macbook Air is a closer to that.

Scrapping a product line that is widely used (albeit only 2% of their profits) just shows they have no consumer loyalty. They have to earn consumer confidence, and if they are willing to toss that on a whim, then they don't deserve my loyalty. A phone is an appliance. An iPad is an appliance. A Macbook Pro is not. By it's very nature, it is not a one size fits all piece of equipment. We paid a premium for the screen size, the variety of storage options, etc. Other than the basics, which I expect every computer to provide, there are huge variables as to what people use them for. This cookie cutter approach will meet the needs of a large portion of it's customer base, and totally alienate the 'Pro' people who rely on the ability to customize the hardware without overly complex or cumbersome external solutions for everything.

The recent trend to make everything non-repairable, non-upgradable, non-functional outside of their vision is starting to grate. I hate to say that as I love all of my apple products, but now I'm faced with the option (or lack thereof), of a Macbook pro that I can't even get a larger hard drive into, other than what's initially offered by Apple. I've upgraded the hard drive on every Macbook Pro I own (I'm on #5) over the years. I do a lot of media work and need the mobility and a large amount of storage. Now I have would have no option other than to lug around an external drive to store large media because I won't have the option to pop in a larger hard drive.

The responses from the others in this forum are also a bit sad. They are cheering this removal of options as if it personally affronted them and was somehow holding back their smaller 13" and 15" purchase choices when in reality, it didn't affect them in the slightest. The lengths that people are going to to defend something that means nothing to them while dismissing the concerns of those who are directly impacted by these decisions is a little disconcerting.
  • Reply 158 of 183
    djrumpy wrote: »
    The recent trend to make everything non-repairable, non-upgradable, non-functional outside of their vision is starting to grate. I hate to say that as I love all of my apple products, but now I'm faced with the option (or lack thereof), of a Macbook pro that I can't even get a larger hard drive into, other than what's initially offered by Apple. I've upgraded the hard drive on every Macbook Pro I own (I'm on #5) over the years. I do a lot of media work and need the mobility and a large amount of storage. Now I have would have no option other than to lug around an external drive to store large media because I won't have the option to pop in a larger hard drive.

The responses from the others in this forum are also a bit sad. They are cheering this removal of options as if it personally affronted them and was somehow holding back their smaller 13" and 15" purchase choices when in reality, it didn't affect them in the slightest. The lengths that people are going to to defend something that means nothing to them while dismissing the concerns of those who are directly impacted by these decisions is a little disconcerting.

We are getting to a point where there's little point in upgrades or self-repair.

The way they did the display is fine as it means a 3rd party repair shop can't stick some cheap panel in your machine. They'd have to get the panel and case from Apple so you know it's genuine.

Soldered RAM is a bit of a nuisance but we are reaching a point where the RAM is enough. 16GB should have been the entry level but the people who need more than 8GB know they need more.

The SSD should be upgradable by 3rd parties just like the Air but you wouldn't necessarily want to. It's best for Apple to pick the best controller and design the drive to work with the OS.

Bus-powered USB 3 hard drives or SSDs are tiny and fine for bulk storage. Flash will keep dropping in price the more mainstream these designs become so they'll get affordable 1TB eventually.
  • Reply 159 of 183

Quote:

Originally Posted by piot View Post

False premise. Shitty conclusion.

Which part of higher resolution using less space equating to smaller stuff to look at is a "false premise", piot?

But you're right, it's a shitty conclusion. And one were bound to see more evidence of as time progresses.

• Reply 160 of 183

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

No, Apple deserves my support for making an outstanding product that meets my needs. I walk away from a company when I pay a premium for it and they don't provide for my needs. Trimming a few mm off the thickness and failing to provide larger storage or display options is a non-beginner for me. I could care less about the retina display. You still have to blow the size of everything up just to make it human readable, and you lose the extra screen size in the bargain. Sure the text will look great, but it wasn't as if it was unreadable with lower pixel density. I'm reading these responses and reviews and just shaking my head. Someone was praising the internals even though the laptop was given the poorest possible score for repairs after it's teardown. The inside of a laptop doesn't have to look nice if it sacrifices functionality. Cosmetic appearance of the inside is COMPLETELY redundant. A glued in battery, which happened to be glued in on top of the cable for the track pad making replacement of components problematic. Poor design choices all to race to the thinnest possible 'appliance' when a computer is not an appliance in the Pro line. That isn't what the Pro line was about. The Macbook Air is a closer to that.

Scrapping a product line that is widely used (albeit only 2% of their profits) just shows they have no consumer loyalty. They have to earn consumer confidence, and if they are willing to toss that on a whim, then they don't deserve my loyalty. A phone is an appliance. An iPad is an appliance. A Macbook Pro is not. By it's very nature, it is not a one size fits all piece of equipment. We paid a premium for the screen size, the variety of storage options, etc. Other than the basics, which I expect every computer to provide, there are huge variables as to what people use them for. This cookie cutter approach will meet the needs of a large portion of it's customer base, and totally alienate the 'Pro' people who rely on the ability to customize the hardware without overly complex or cumbersome external solutions for everything.

Well said. I worked at Apple for 5 years, started about the time Steve came back and I was there for the rollout of OSX (worked overtime for that one) and for the rollout of the first iPod. I've rarely questioned the wisdom of Apple's decisions, even at times like when the dropped the floppy and so many users were in dismay. That was an obvious sign of progress. A necessary progress. If this were a conversation about dropping the DVD drive I wouldn't be nearly as emotionally invested in it.

But alas, it's a conversation about form factors, and though there are those here intent on convincing us we're ignorant, obsolete, missing the genius behind this, or what-have-you, form factors are clearly a subjective preference and can't be quantified or framed as technological progress. And there's clearly a substantial group of users who prefer a larger form factor. I'm a dude, I have a big lap, with aging eyes, I *require* the 17" display. It's funny how so many on here are saying we're old fashioned because we should be parking our 15" laptops at our desk where our big monitor sits. Maybe *they're* the old fashioned ones for still having desks. I work in coffee shops, mostly. Or, whatever room in the house I happen to sit down in. I don't have a desk and I'm not about to get one to accommodate Apple's new requirements. After a life of using Macs, since 1986, I'm tempted to get a Windows machine. I do heavy graphic work and electronic music production. This, after winding down a career in software development. There's no reason in hell why I can't jump to Windows and still do all of my work if Apple forces these smaller screens on us.

These folks that are defending Apple's axing the 17 inch seem to think us having our 17 is in some way hindering their progress. There's been a slow migration to our platform from Windows for many years. Let's see how they change their tune when some day the migration goes the other way. The money dwindles, and they see what hindered progress looks like.