Apple updates MacBook Pro with Ivy Bridge CPUs and Nvidia graphics

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amti View Post

And takes up a ship load of space.

Exactly. Space better served for more important things like the battery.

The newnibody MacBook Pro couldn't possibly have received the same battery life as its older updated cousins if it had kept an ODD, because the battery HAD to take up more space (width and length) since it didn't have more space (height). Oh, and to push the retina. I actually forgot about that.

Of course, Haswell is going to be astonishing on these computers. I wonder if Apple built the newnibody MacBook Pro with Haswell in mind…

• Reply 22 of 29
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amti View Post

Very disappointed the MBP 13" did not get a screen res upgrade (to 1440 x 900, same as the 13" Air). I can understand that Apple might have made a hard business decision to limit competition with the Air. But it would have been nice to at least have a BTO option for a 1440 x 900 screen. Get one in a heartbeat if they did.

So it looks like an Air for me, in about a month.

Would have also been nice if the BTO option hi-res screen for the (non-retina) 15" MBP was 1080 instead of 1050.

Glad Apple have gone to USB 3 (like they had a choice?). I held off buying until this round of hardware upgrades partly so I can get USB 3. 

I was disappointed that there wasn't a 13" retina with a GPU and no optical...ah well.  My next mac update was going to be an iMac anyway.  Gotta wait a bit for that.

• Reply 23 of 29
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course, Haswell is going to be astonishing on these computers. I wonder if Apple built the newnibody MacBook Pro with Haswell in mind…

That's exactly what is happening here I think.  Haswell will be a big jump in both cpu and native GPU, by next year we should see the price on optical TB down a bit hopefully (plus more TB peripherals at better prices) and more.  Haswell will also have native support for TB, so that may make the connectors to the mobo less trouble to build if it has some aspects that will now be cpu controlled.  Add in that Haswell will also be a large jump in power efficiency and it looks pretty clear what Apple is doing.  They're getting people used to the idea of a powerful system that banishes legacy ports and such.  Weaning people off the ODD, which is more than they did when they brought out the iMac and made people give up the floppy :)  Spend a year getting the yield problems out of the process for the Retina displays, buy up as much of the output of those screens and next year change the entire laptop lineup to Retina.  It may well be that the MBA would be kept on regular res and the MBP would be the one to go all-Retina, but I could see room for at least a BTO Retina display on the MBA.

Haswell is the key.  They are having to use all these things like the new fans and such to be able to shoehorn that cpu and gpu in along w/all the battery and still maintain a 7 hour life.  That's is pretty major.  Haswell will let them extend battery life on all their systems and they may even be able to back off on the amount of battery included in systems like the Pro to fit more ports or storage.  I'm also very curious about a MBP w/2 TB and HDMI.  How many monitors will it be allowed to drive at once?

• Reply 24 of 29
    amtiamti Posts: 19member

Quote:

Haswell will let them extend battery life...

And if we get Sharp's IGZO screens, total power consumption should crash.

• Reply 25 of 29
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

That's exactly what is happening here I think.  Haswell will be a big jump in both cpu and native GPU, by next year we should see the price on optical TB down a bit hopefully (plus more TB peripherals at better prices) and more.  Haswell will also have native support for TB, so that may make the connectors to the mobo less trouble to build if it has some aspects that will now be cpu controlled.  Add in that Haswell will also be a large jump in power efficiency and it looks pretty clear what Apple is doing.  They're getting people used to the idea of a powerful system that banishes legacy ports and such.  Weaning people off the ODD, which is more than they did when they brought out the iMac and made people give up the floppy :)  Spend a year getting the yield problems out of the process for the Retina displays, buy up as much of the output of those screens and next year change the entire laptop lineup to Retina.  It may well be that the MBA would be kept on regular res and the MBP would be the one to go all-Retina, but I could see room for at least a BTO Retina display on the MBA.

Haswell is the key.  They are having to use all these things like the new fans and such to be able to shoehorn that cpu and gpu in along w/all the battery and still maintain a 7 hour life.  That's is pretty major.  Haswell will let them extend battery life on all their systems and they may even be able to back off on the amount of battery included in systems like the Pro to fit more ports or storage.  I'm also very curious about a MBP w/2 TB and HDMI.  How many monitors will it be allowed to drive at once?

This is a different situation than the floppy disk elimination.  Floppies really only had one purpose -- computer data delivery and storage.  Optical disks, by contrast, have multiple uses and really have become integral in home entertainment.  Sure, they could go away sometime as entertainment becomes more cloud-centric but Apple taking out the ODD in the new MacBook will have no bearing on that process unlike where the original iMac probably did hasten the end the floppy.

• Reply 26 of 29
    eye forgeteye forget Posts: 154member

I just asked a room full of people when the last time they used their ODD. Other to rip video to avoid using the ODD and have network centric distribution, responses ranged from over a year to they could not remember.  It's a trade-off for some.  I made it with my Air just fine.  Others may have a legitimate need for an ODD and they will always be available in one form or another.  But the advantage of freeing up the space is a very major plus.  As computing devices get smaller, the ODD is pretty much fixed in size.  That's an obstacle to progress.

• Reply 27 of 29
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

I just asked a room full of people when the last time they used their ODD. Other to rip video to avoid using the ODD and have network centric distribution, responses ranged from over a year to they could not remember.  It's a trade-off for some.  I made it with my Air just fine.  Others may have a legitimate need for an ODD and they will always be available in one form or another.  But the advantage of freeing up the space is a very major plus.  As computing devices get smaller, the ODD is pretty much fixed in size.  That's an obstacle to progress.

It must be true for everyone then, right? No, it's not - I've used the optical drive on my laptop more than 10 different times in the last week. Of course, I use my laptop as my desktop right now (until there's an iMac I like enough to buy). I use the ODD even when I travel,  though not as much as at home.

• Reply 28 of 29
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member

Does anybody know if these new MBPs or the Retina MBPs have improved sound boards/speakers? I thought I read somewhere a while ago that Apple was talking about improving the sound systems in their MBPs.

• Reply 29 of 29
    eye forgeteye forget Posts: 154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

It's a trade-off for some.  I made it with my Air just fine.  Others may have a legitimate need for an ODD and they will always be available in one form or another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

It must be true for everyone then, right? No, it's not - I've used the optical drive on my laptop more than 10 different times in the last week. Of course, I use my laptop as my desktop right now (until there's an iMac I like enough to buy). I use the ODD even when I travel,  though not as much as at home.

Do you have trouble reading?