Apple announces iOS 6 with Siri enhancements, Facebook integration

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Damn, looks like Siri is still in beta form, and that probably means no dedicated Siri button on the next iPhone.

Why would there ever be a dedicated button?

• Reply 22 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a good thing absolutely everything else in the iPhone 4S was changed too, huh?

I don't see your point.  The OS will be the same across all of the phones with iOS 6.  I like the enhancements of iOS 6.. but they are continuing to limit Siri to the 4S (on the phone side of things).. I could care less about the ipad.  I don't have a purpose for one.

I want Siri on the iphone 4 - and it's total BS that it's exclusive  to the 4S in the cell phone line.

• Reply 23 of 83
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

Actually Android can do the Cloud integration and it works on more than just the Mac platform.

Actually, Android can integrate with the cloud but Google/Android has no desktop OS or repository of desktop apps to integrate with -- kinda' like a threesome where only two people show up (both with the same feature set).

• Reply 24 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

I don't see your point.  The OS will be the same across all of the phones with iOS 6.  I like the enhancements of iOS 6.. but they are continuing to limit Siri to the 4S (on the phone side of things).. I could care less about the ipad.  I don't have a purpose for one.

I want Siri on the iphone 4 - and it's total BS that it's exclusive  to the 4S in the cell phone line.

I mean for the argument of upgrading.

It's equally laughable that iOS 6 isn't on the first-gen iPad, despite it being on the iPhone 3GS.

• Reply 25 of 83

For anyone complaining that there is no hardware limitation with the iPhone 4 and Siri, there technically is. The iPhone 4S A5 has an integrated Audience noise canceling chip. Not the biggest deal in the world, but if apple wasn't satisfied with the results, they probably decided to not include Siri. Also Siri is the main selling point of the 4S, so maybe its possible with the release of the new iPhone, but I doubt it all the same due to the technical minor hardware limitation.

• Reply 26 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanistheryan View Post

For anyone complaining that there is no hardware limitation with the iPhone 4 and Siri, there technically is. The iPhone 4S A5 has an integrated Audience noise canceling chip.

Jailbreaking has proven that doesn't impede anything.

• Reply 27 of 83
    Why would there ever be a dedicated button?

Just think about it for a sec, with continually expanding function and APIs (I guess not 'till iOS 7), you would be able to do so much without leaving the lock screen, or even looking at your phone. I think it could be very handy.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Actually, Android can integrate with the cloud but Google/Android has no desktop OS or repository of desktop apps to integrate with -- kinda' like a threesome where only two people show up (both with the same feature set).

It can integrate just fine with the 2 most-prevalent OS's available: Mac OS and Windows. They don't need their own OS.

• Reply 29 of 83
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boojoo007 View Post

no mac pros! ahhh

Yep, just not mentioned. On Apple Store now

• Reply 30 of 83

Quote:

Jailbreaking has proven that doesn't impede anything.

Damn right - I'm not planning to jailbreak my phone to get Siri.  I also know it's a huge selling point for the 4S.  But come on.. the people who don't want to shell out $700 to get the new phone because of a non-expired contract with their cell provider... those people (like me) want that feature. 

Siri support limited to the 4S is crap.  It should also be on OS X.  I want to be able to talk to my computer to help me find stuff.  There can't be any arguement that my macbook isn't "powerful" enough, or have the "current chip" to allow me to use Siri on it.

Anyone else like to see Siri on Mountain Lion?

• Reply 31 of 83
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member

Quote:

Total. Frigging. Crap.

Screen Shot 2012-06-11 at 2.58.01 PM.png

I think I can say that now.

What's wrong, you expect Apple to keep providing OS updates limited by the lowest common denominator being your old hardware?

• Reply 32 of 83
    deletedelete Posts: 48member

So to use Do Not Disturb do you have to go through the whole Settings ritual like changing WiFi etc.? If so, why would they make something that you want to use on the fly so buried? Widgets anyone?

• Reply 33 of 83
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Just think about it for a sec, with continually expanding function and APIs (I guess not 'till iOS 7), you would be able to do so much without leaving the lock screen, or even looking at your phone. I think it could be very handy.

What about holding the home button while on lock screen to access Siri?

• Reply 34 of 83

Quote:

Just think about it for a sec…

I did. Apple doesn't like buttons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

I don't see it happening until 10.9. They talked about Dictation in OS X, and they wouldn't have done that had they not expected Siri at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukei View Post

What's wrong, you expect Apple to keep providing OS updates limited by the lowest common denominator being your old hardware?

I expect Apple to give users more than 14 months of support. Particularly when they give their OTHER users four years of support.

If you think that's unreasonable, better take a gander at other device manufacturers.

• Reply 35 of 83
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

It can integrate just fine with the 2 most-prevalent OS's available: Mac OS and Windows. They don't need their own OS.

How do I integrate iWork, iLife, iMovie, iTunes/iCloud match with my iPhones and iPads using Google/Android?  

We have over 10,000 songs on iCloud accessible on all our iDevices as if they were stored on the iDevice.

• Reply 36 of 83
    deletedelete Posts: 48member

I just figured this out, with integrated Facebook it will be faster to post I don't want to be disturbed to friends than the multiple steps of digging through the settings to turn on the new feature. Cool.

• Reply 37 of 83

lol copycaters it obvious Windows phone 7 has facebook integration Such no ideas Apple has to COPYCAT in all windows phone 7.5 still best. It's why Steven Wozniak purchased a Lumia 900 windows phone and said loves it.

• Reply 38 of 83
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

How do I integrate iWork, iLife, iMovie, iTunes/iCloud match with my iPhones and iPads using Google/Android?  

We have over 10,000 songs on iCloud accessible on all our iDevices as if they were stored on the iDevice.

I don't use a Mac, so I have no idea what iWork, iLife, or iMovie are.

I can easily have Google Music store my iTunes purchases.

I can't imagine paying for my music twice by paying for iTunes Match. I already bought the CD's. Why should I pay another fee?  There is no such fee with Google.

Keep in mind I own an iPhone and when the next one comes out, I'll buy that one too. I think they are better all-around devices than the Android devices. But the "Apple has iCould" argument just doesn't wash for me, since iCloud is so closed.

• Reply 39 of 83

give up iphone cant wait when WINDOWS PHONE 8 ARRIVES IN JUNE 20TH it going blow it away.

Just Ask Steven Wozniak co founder of Apple saying it purchased a Nokia Lumia 900 windows phone and Loves It. Best Smartphone.

steveloveswp.JPG

• Reply 40 of 83
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    macvertigo wrote: »

Damn right - I'm not planning to jailbreak my phone to get Siri.  I also know it's a huge selling point for the 4S.  But come on.. the people who don't want to shell out $700 to get the new phone because of a non-expired contract with their cell provider... those people (like me) want that feature. 

Siri support limited to the 4S is crap.  It should also be on OS X.  I want to be able to talk to my computer to help me find stuff.  There can't be any arguement that my macbook isn't "powerful" enough, or have the "current chip" to allow me to use Siri on it.

Siri is already non-functional at certain times of the day and on weekends, probably because all the 4S yuppies are trying to find their way to the next party. If they allow all the iPhone 4 riffraff in, it will really be unusable :-) Wait till they build it out more.
    Actually, I do notice it's getting better lately, full disclosure.