Apple's new Passbook for iOS 6 organizes tickets, store cards, more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member

Um, are you unaware that there's an app that already does nearly the same thing called Key Ring? The only problem is that as someone pointed out it's useless with laser scanners which are far more prevalent than optical scanners.

I'm guessing that Target is on board with switching to optical scanners given their prominent placement in the demo. But until other stores make the switch, it's a neat idea with limited real world use.

• Reply 22 of 26
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVince View Post

Is this feature the same as Google Wallet in terms of technology?  Or are we looking at different scanners for this?  Is Google Wallet that 'NFC' method?  And hence (the Apple solution) is better and more secure?  It would have been helpful if Apple could have explained how this feature was a 'better' and 'more secure' implementation of what a certain other company has already rolled out.

I would think it would be much less secure than NFC since it's based off of an optical display. I'd imagine someone could take a screenshot of the card you were using and use that to recreate it for their own use. I mean that's how the card data is originally getting stored in the app in the first place.

• Reply 23 of 26
    overalloverall Posts: 3member

I hope we can print these later, or send as pdfs to email for printing... this is often needed for accounting services to brain refunds for tickets

• Reply 24 of 26
    irenekirenek Posts: 1member

This is neat.  I have a lot of loyalty cards in my purse.  This will replace them.  Thumbs up!

• Reply 25 of 26

Apple has announced that it will be dropping Google maps from its iOS operating program in lieu of its own brand new mapping a navigation program, which will be available for free on its gadgets in the fall. The revamp has many benefits of interest to motorists. Learn where to buy a car online with all the benefits you want.

• Reply 26 of 26

I think the potential of Passbook is massive.  And I don't think it's just United States focused at all.  I have shown a number of my friends different passes in my iPhone and they love the idea.  I hope that as many retailers (including the small ones) get onto this quickly - all they need is a 2D barcode scanner and most of retailers have this already.  I think Apple has been a genius to avoid the payment space (riddled with regulation) and start to build trust with consumers with the cards/tickets/coupons in your wallet.  Once you start playing with Passbook you really feel the simplicity of it - Apple have yet again done a great job with the UI.  However Apple have not released any sample passes to their developers so you need to either create them or find them. (edit: removed possible spam link)  Very simple and easy to use and they even have a Lady Gaga ticket example.  The only thing you need is the iOS6 beta installed on your phone; so if you are an Apple developer - no problem.  For all others then look forward to getting rid of paper in your pocket and wallet when iOS6 officially releases.  Apple continues to make my life easier and less cluttered.