Apple's new Maps for iOS 6 features navigation, crowd-sourced traffic

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When it launches later this year, iOS 6 will feature an all-new Maps application built from the ground up by Apple, featuring turn-by-turn navigation and anonymous, real-time, crowd-sourced traffic data.

The new iOS 6 Maps have integrated Yelp for user reviews. The new traffic service allows users to provide incident reports for more accurate travel data.

And turn-by-turn navigation is now built in, providing users with directions much like a standalone GPS unit, or similar applications on the App Store.

Turn-by-turn directions can be viewed from the iOS lock screen, and if Apple's Maps application finds that a faster route is available, it can prompt users to reroute their trip on the fly.

iOS 6

iOS 6

The new Maps application also offers integration with Siri, allowing users to ask for directions to the nearest gas station. In one humorous demonstration, Siri was asked "Are we there yet" and the virtual personal assistant said to "Relax and enjoy the drive" when revealing the destination would be reached in 14 minutes.

One major feature of the new Maps is called "Flyover." It features 3D models of cities from around the world, with detailed recreations rendered in real time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Phase 2: severing ties.

• Reply 2 of 64
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

just saw the 3D maps, pretty neat.

All I am missing for a perfect event is an Apple TV app store and SDK.

• Reply 3 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

All I am missing for a perfect event is an Apple TV app store and SDK.

One step short, then.

• Reply 4 of 64
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

One step short, then.

too bad, would have been nice.

• Reply 5 of 64

Clearly, no street view... over half my using Maps uses street view, so that's a bummer.

• Reply 6 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClassicGuy View Post

Clearly, no street view... over half my using Maps uses street view, so that's a bummer.

Because you certainly can't view the street using the pictures supplied of the restaurants and other establishments.

• Reply 7 of 64
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

Is Google Maps Apple’s last dependency on Google?  Am i missing something?

• Reply 8 of 64
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member

A lot of goodies coming out. Very nice. 

When is the public release date for iOS 6? Did I miss that? Disappointed no news on the next iPhone. 

• Reply 9 of 64
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member

Street View really doesn't do anything for me other than let me look at the front of my house just to see when they took it last.  I don't think I've used used it as anything other than a novelty since the straight down satellite view is more than enough to determine just about anything.

Also, does anyone know if they are going to put the turn-by-turn onto the 3Gs and the 4 or is that going to be a 4s kind of thing since it involves Siri?

• Reply 10 of 64

Any word on if this new maps feature will require continuous data like the current maps app for turn-by-turn? My Navigon app only needs data when it looks up the turn-by-turn directions but not when I'm actually driving. I'm asking because I only have the 300mb/month plan and don't want this to be a drain on my data plan like the current maps app.

• Reply 11 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

When is the public release date for iOS 6? Did I miss that?

Fall.

Quote:

Disappointed no news on the next iPhone. 

Except that was never going to happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by babazina132 View Post

Any word on if this new maps feature will require continuous data like the current maps app for turn-by-turn? My Navigon app only needs data when it looks up the turn-by-turn directions but not when I'm actually driving. I'm asking because I only have the 300mb/month plan and don't want this to be a drain on my data plan like the current maps app.

It has been three minutes. How could we possibly know that?

• Reply 12 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When it launches later this year, iOS 6 will feature an all-new Maps application built from the ground up by Apple, featuring turn-by-turn navigation and anonymous, real-time, crowd-sourced traffic data .... 

I wish they'd shown what the 3D map looks like at street level. 

The thing that will go away if we switch to Apple's solution from Google's is street view and if the 3D map can't replace it that's a serious deficit.  

Street view is extremely popular and very, very, useful.  All the other features are either replicated or one-upped in Apple's solution but street view is still an unknown or possibly missing entirely.  

• Reply 13 of 64
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Couple features seem to be missing, at least I saw no mention of it

1. street view

2. Pedestrian navigation

3. Cyclist navigation

4. Transit schedules

5. No word on how it will work with no internet connection

But I guess its better to wait for the product to be released before judgement. 

And lets remember, Google has been in the maps thing for years, apple is new to it, so to expect ALL of the google maps features would be unrealistic. 

Really hope you can download an entire country like france and use it when you go there without any internet. That would be perfect. 

• Reply 14 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because you certainly can't view the street using the pictures supplied of the restaurants and other establishments.

That isn't even close to the same thing.  

Why do you always have to come back with a snappy negative response even when you got nothing?  

Why not just shrug and move on?  

• Reply 15 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

That isn't even close to the same thing.  

Why do you always have to come back with a snappy negative response even when you got nothing?  

Why not just shrug and move on?  

Funny, because that's what Google still has over most of the planet and I don't see people complaining.

• Reply 16 of 64
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

I would be surprised if there wasn't a street-view-esque view to this. The C3 maps have a resolution of 4in. Might not be quite street view photos, but for my uses, I think that would work just fine. I'm not trying to read signs on buildings, just get a concept of what the area I'm going to looks like.

• Reply 17 of 64

The maps look great ... I do use street view on a semi-regular basis so I hope that something like that is coming. 

All in all, a monster presentation. Some great stuff here ... way too much to digest in one sitting. 

Where's my sifter?

• Reply 18 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Street View really doesn't do anything for me other than let me look at the front of my house just to see when they took it last.  I don't think I've used used it as anything other than a novelty since the straight down satellite view is more than enough to determine just about anything.

Also, does anyone know if they are going to put the turn-by-turn onto the 3Gs and the 4 or is that going to be a 4s kind of thing since it involves Siri?

I have friends all over the world, so I have on many occasions talked them through a tour of where I live... in street view. They do the same for me. Also I live in an urban area... so finding a place I've never been to is FAR easier than some overhead view.

I THINK that google maps will still be available... unless Cupertino decides to lock them out.

• Reply 19 of 64
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I would be surprised if there wasn't a street-view-esque view to this. The C3 maps have a resolution of 4in. Might not be quite street view photos, but for my uses, I think that would work just fine. I'm not trying to read signs on buildings, just get a concept of what the area I'm going to looks like.

2 problems with that. 

1. planes cant make 3d views of things that are hidden by tunnels, trees. Street view goes everywhere. Forerested trails, tunnels, no problem. And now that its on backpack i mean EVERYWHERE, lol

2. No indoor maps and indoor views. again, planes obviously cant give you a 3d map of a mall. Street view actually has indoor as well. 

Not that its needed, to be honest all a mapping app NEEDS is turn by turn, everything else is fluff. 

But in terms of the bragging war of who has more of the earth covered and recorded, street view will have an obvious advantage. 
  • Reply 20 of 64
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Turn by turn is only available on the iPhone 4S or newer and the iPad 2 or newer.