Apple's Back to School promo offers $100 iTunes card with Mac, $50 with iPad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
Apple's 2012 Back to School promotion kicked off with the launch of new Macs on Monday, offering qualified customers a $100 iTunes gift card with the purchase of a new Mac, and $50 with a new iPad.

Customers must buy a Mac or iPad for college between June 11 and September 21 in order to qualify for the Back to School Gift Card, which can be used on apps, books, music and movies. Students and faculty can also buy their Mac with Apple Education Pricing to save money on the hardware.

To qualify for the Back to School Card offer, customers must be a college student, a student accepted to a college, a parent buying for a college student, or a faculty or staff member from any grade level.

Customers can buy a qualifying Mac or iPad from the Apple Online Store for Education, the Apple Retail Store, or an Apple Authorized Campus Store. They will receive their Back to School Gift Card with their purchase.

School

The gift card can be used in the iOS and Mac App Stores on software, the iBookstore, or in iTunes.

Apple also offers a dedicated section on its website for the Back to School promo, where the company has highlighted a number of Mac and iPad apps that could be of use to students.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

The old offers were much better. You could get a really nice free printer, an iPod, and a decent discount as well. Now they want to let you download some songs? What a rip off as far as back to school promos go. Bring back the free printer and iPod or at least let that $100 be used on hardware as well as digital content. 

• Reply 2 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

The old offers were much better. You could get a really nice free printer, an iPod, and a decent discount as well. Now they want to let you download some songs? What a rip off as far as back to school promos go. Bring back the free printer and iPod or at least let that $100 be used on hardware as well as digital content. 

The printer was for everyone, so you can't judge that against a modern B2S program.

Apple feels that iPods have reached saturation point, so they're capitalizing on the fact that everyone always wants apps for their iPods.

• Reply 3 of 15
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member

Just ordered mine....

• $100.00

• $100.00

Back to School Gift Card

• Part number: MD181LL/B

• $1,239.00

• $1,239.00

MacBook Air, 13-inch

• Part number: Z0NC

Configuration

• 1.8GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz

• 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM

• 128GB Flash Storage

• Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

• Accessory Kit

Recycle fee

$6.00

• Reply 4 of 15
    ghost03ghost03 Posts: 6member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The printer was for everyone, so you can't judge that against a modern B2S program.

Apple feels that iPods have reached saturation point, so they're capitalizing on the fact that everyone always wants apps for their iPods.

Moreover, students, particularly first year undergrad students, are also likely to be buying a new phone for college. I'm sure apple doesn't want to discourage them from making that phone an iPhone. Giving them an iPod touch for free would open the possibility of getting a feature phone.

• Reply 5 of 15
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Quote:

Agreed. But this started even beforehand when Apple reduced the size of the student discounts on Macs and iPods. Once these things became ubiquitous Apple no longer needed to really help out students anymore. Once you become rich and famous the little guy means nothing.

• Reply 6 of 15
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

i ordered a new retina display Pro... but it kept charging me $100 for the free $100 gift card it was putting in my cart.

I chatted with someone at Apple and they said to just remove the card and place the order and call back next week and talk to someone to have a free card sent out to me.

• Reply 7 of 15
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

How many people wouldn't prefer an additional $100 immediately knocked off the order total instead of a gift card. I just don't see this gift card as much value as compared to it to being used for tangible goods from the Apple store as well. I know why they are doing it since they get a chunk for every app or song sold it costs them far less than $100 to offer this deal. Makes sense for Apple but not nearly as attractive for students or educators who might prefer a new bluetooth headset for example over music and apps. At least with an Amazon gift card you can choose between millions of actual items and not only digital content. 

• Reply 8 of 15
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Quote:

How many people wouldn't prefer an additional $100 immediately knocked off the order total instead of a gift card. I just don't see this gift card as much value as compared to it to being used for tangible goods from the Apple store as well. I know why they are doing it since they get a chunk for every app or song sold it costs them far less than $100 to offer this deal. Makes sense for Apple but not nearly as attractive for students or educators who might prefer a new bluetooth headset for example over music and apps. At least with an Amazon gift card you can choose between millions of actual items and not only digital content. 

Asked and answered.  $100 really costs Apple $30 or whatever their cut is.  And if you spend all of it on Apple apps, they only forego a bit of revenue....but then you buy updates for the apps every year.

• Reply 9 of 15

Found this offer, Idk if some of you might be interested - Buy a Mac for college & receive a $100 Back to School Gift Card to use on apps, books, music, and movies + get 4% cash back when shopping at Apple Store for Education. 

Other places give cash back on Apple but i think this is one of the highest amount http://www.studentrate.com/StudentRate/all/get-all-student-deals/Apple-Student-Discounts--/0

• Reply 10 of 15
    jurassicjurassic Posts: 94member

Jetz: "$100 really costs Apple $30 or whatever their cut is."

It costs Apple the full $100 that they give to you. Apple has to pay the developers $70 for their 70%, and Apple also loses that $30 which is their cut. Total, $100 out of Apple's pocket.

• Reply 11 of 15
    tropetrope Posts: 1member

You are charged for $100 Giftcard. I purchased a 13" MBP and the computer is sold for $100 less. In a separate CC transaction is the $100 for the giftcard. The receipt Apple emailed me does not show how the charges are broken down, nor how I paid. It was only when I checked my statement that I realized I paid for the gift card. Yes, the computer was $100 less, however this poses a problem when I want to deduct the purchase of a new computer for tax purposes. Apple is charging me less than what I've really paid for the computer. Hiding the $100 in a giftcard for itunes I don't even want. I've been hung-up on twice by Apple to have the charges normal: price for the computer, one charge, that's it, no gift card charge.

So, they are not losing money on their apps with these "free" gift cards. 

Well played Apple. 

• Reply 12 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Trope View Post

You are charged for $100 Giftcard.

Nope, since you get the discount year-round.

Yes, the computer was $100 less, however this poses a problem when I want to deduct the purchase of a new computer for tax purposes. Apple is charging me less than what I've really paid for the computer.

No, you paid for the computer what you paid for the computer. It's pretty simple to understand. The money you give them for the computer, the number on the education store website, is the amount you paid for the computer.

Hiding the $100 in a giftcard for itunes I don't even want.

So frigging sell it or give it away. No one told you that you had to buy during the promo or that you have to take or use the card at all.

I've been hung-up on twice by Apple to have the charges normal: price for the computer, one charge, that's it, no gift card charge.

I'm sure that Apple "hung up" on you. You just don't understand what you're saying.

• Reply 13 of 15

Nice to see this offer, i'll consider about it!!!

Cheap Itunes Gift Cards

• Reply 14 of 15
    Welcome Our Gift card Delivery Email Worldwide

http://giftcarditune.com
  • Reply 15 of 15

http://brolexy.com   here you can buy  iTunes gift card   with good price.

Fast digital delivery.

with respect, Brolexy.com