First look: Apple's all-new Maps in iOS 6

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I am wondering if Apple shouldn't buy Yelp before someone else does.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Given it seems to be Siri based then that is to be expected although the 'half full' view point is iPad 2 is included. The fly over maps is another matter, I am surprised an iPhone 4 couldn't handle that although a 3G I totolly understand.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Street view is niche, does it help me to navigate, no.

I need a map to help me navigate to a place but I don't need something static which offers no help in getting from point A to B.

I can live without Google Maps.
  • Reply 44 of 58
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. Maps have 'personality and character'. Apple's doesn't. Who knew!

Looks like kotatsu the resident troll is back.

Oh grow a brain you muppet. Have you actually used Waze? Maybe you should try it before spouting such infantile drivel again.

• Reply 45 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

I need a map to help me navigate to a place but I don't need something static which offers no help in getting from point A to B.

Every time I'm navigating to a new place I use street view. It's absolutely critical, I couldn't do without it. If Google Maps are gone from iOS I'll be forced to go Android, as an 'upgrade' which removes critical functionality isn't exactly a good upgrade.

• Reply 46 of 58
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

Street view could be helpful if you wanted to look around to see what else is around there. But not as helpful if all you do is go between point A to B.

• Reply 47 of 58
    mariomario Posts: 348member

A friend in the UK writes:

Quote:

In London Apple Maps on iOS 6 beta are nowhere near beta level. From my Twitter feed today, many including screenshots:

- Streets are shown as numbers, American style. 'A405' rather than Old Kent Rd. Nobody in the UK uses these numbers for directions, or knows what the numbers are beyond 2 or 3 main highways. Nobody will ever say A405 in conversation. The numbers are useless, and the names aren't shown.

- No tube stations are shown

- The water is missing from parts of the Thames

- Searching for 'Bank Tube' takes you to Bank, Azerbaijan.

This is exactly what I was afraid would happen. I think of maps as critical smart phone feature and if maps in iOS 6 are really this bad, it may push me to try an Android phone.

• Reply 48 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario View Post

This is exactly what I was afraid would happen. I think of maps as critical smart phone feature and if maps in iOS 6 are really this bad, it may push me to try an Android phone.

Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 10.21.59 PM.png

• Reply 49 of 58
    tegreggtegregg Posts: 1member

Anyone know if you are able to show turn by turn in km/h or is it just miles at the moment.  Not sure if its just because its beta or I just cant find where to switch it over.

• Reply 50 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 10.21.59 PM.png

From what we've seen in the iOS 6 beta so far, the maps are many months, if not years away from being ALPHA. 

BETA means feature complete, just buggy.

• Reply 51 of 58
    yu119995yu119995 Posts: 26member

Ouch.  Looks like Google maps is still the way to go.

• Reply 52 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

BETA means feature complete, just buggy.

No, that's not at all what it means.

• Reply 53 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, that's not at all what it means.

Maybe we use different definitions here in the UK, but I've worked in software development for 20 years now, and BETA means very nearly done.

• Reply 54 of 58
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poke View Post

It's worth noting that TomTom owns Tele Atlas and also supplies mapping data to Google. So Apple's new application essentially uses the same data as Google Maps. It's not just turn-by-turn data, it's the geographical data on which the map tiles are based. If you look through the acknowledgments for Apple's new Maps and Google Maps many of the sources are the same.

Google began phasing out TeleAtlas (TomTom) a couple years ago, displeased with their map quality and the time it was taking them to identify and correct errors. IMHO TelAtlas maps haven't improved in quality since TomTom bought them out. TT doesn't sell nearly the number of PND's as they once did, so there's fewer contributors to their MapShare program where road errors are often first identified. Perhaps not as big a problem as it could be as they were overwhelmed with what they already had and were getting further behind in using that data anyway.  In addition many of the experienced mapping employees left or were let go as TT revenues have fallen, further hindering Tomtom's map improvements. 

• Reply 55 of 58
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

From what we've seen in the iOS 6 beta so far, the maps are many months, if not years away from being ALPHA. 

they seem fine here - even tested it in rural areas.

• Reply 56 of 58
    ndreyndrey Posts: 2member

I was disappointed of iOS 6 maps. They just looks like 3d maps used in Nokia years ago

• Reply 57 of 58
    ndrey wrote: »
    They just looks like 3d maps used in Nokia years ago

And look how well that worked out for them, so it's obviously not the same.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ndrey wrote: »
    I was disappointed of iOS 6 maps. They just looks like 3d maps used in Nokia years ago

Nokia used C3's 3D maps (at least on a website) and Apple bought C3, but it's axiomatically wrong to say they look "just like" Nokia Maps when 3D is such a small part of the new Maps and it's clearly a different look and feel from Nokia's maps from years ago.