Apple officially axes 17-inch MacBook Pro from notebook lineup

Comments

• Reply 121 of 156
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    There is a market of people who want large screen machines. I think Apple pulled out of this market too soon.

There were some numbers put out last year:

http://investorplace.com/2012/04/monday-apple-rumors-end-of-the-17-inch-macbook-pro/

"Kuo said sales of the 17-inch MacBook Pro amounted to about 50,000 units during the first quarter of 2012, compared to 1.5 million of the 13-inch models and 500,000 for the 15-inch models. Kuo also estimated first-quarter MacBook Air sales at 1.1 million units"

These are an analyst's estimates so they won't be exact but even with PC manufacturers, 15" models models outsell 17" by at least 5:1. Apple's ratio is worse because the 17" was $300 higher than the 15" and the spec was the same so you were effectively paying $300 for the extra 2".

When the Retina models arrived the 17" would need a resolution that integrated graphics couldn't cope with and the price would have been way too high.

At the next refresh, it would be good if the prices dropped to the point that the entry Retina 15" hits $1799. If that happens, it could leave a space at the $2799 mark. The IGPs can run that resolution of display now. If they choose to fill that gap, there's not much spec-wise to fill the space. That model already has 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD.

If they choose to do something like put in 1TB SSD and maintain the price point, that would be a clearer indication that they don't want to go back to 17". If it is selling as low as 50,000 per quarter and many of those people migrated to 15" anyway, it makes more sense to stick with 15" because they don't have to source another set of display panels and have a different chassis just for a very small amount of buyers.
  • Reply 122 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay. We won't get you started on your inability to see quality when it's presented to you.

Ha ha.

• Reply 123 of 156
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    cameraman wrote: »
    Ha ha.

No humor intended. Enjoy living in the past and repeating tired, broken, useless arguments.
  • Reply 124 of 156
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Maybe next year Apple will introduce a 4K 17" MacBook Über Pro.
  • Reply 125 of 156
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cameraman View Post

As a cameraman editor it really is disappointing that I can no longer buy a 17" Macbook Pro as the larger screen really is a must for video editing in the field... Don't even get me started on FCPX!

Quote:

Okay. We won't get you started on your inability to see quality when it's presented to you.

Cameraman is a new member and he made a comment in an article/thread that has been inactive for over a year. He expressed his feelings about the tools of his trade, both HW & SW, that, obviously, are very useful to him for his profession. His profession has probably made him quite proficient in using Final Cut Pro and while he may be opposed to change, FCPX was a radically new but incomplete replacement of, at the time, a much more powerful (albeit aging) application. At the time, if you recall, FCPX was greatly panned by video pros for being embarrassingly incomplete. With him being in the business, I would value his opinion a little more than yours.

I've owned my printing company for 25 years and Apple SW & HW have been an integral part of my company's success. As much as I love Apple, I too think that suddenly discontinuing the 17" MBP, without warning, was a crappy move. 200K unit sales per year may not be a lot, but, anyway you slice it, it's still a half billion in sales based on ASP. Being a business owner, I understand that tough, unpopular decisions have to be made, but not all decisions need to be based on needing 40%+ margins. When my current 17" MBP dies, it's going to make my portable business life a lot more difficult when I have to downsize to a 15" screen. Another brand is NOT an option because it's all about the OS and SW for me.

Marvin was nice (and mature) enough to give statistics and, therefore, justification for Apple's decision. This is the kind of response people come to AI for. You, on the other hand, simply pontificated by making a comment like it's the last and final word. I hope you don't wonder why most of your comments are not quoted, answered or debated. You belittle members and their comments right from the start and your comments and attitude come across like Apple (and you) can NEVER do wrong. One can argue that ~500,000 17" MBP users (50K/quarter X a 2.5 year upgrade cycle) are being forced to downsize to a 15" MBP or make another brand choice. These 500,000 pro/power users were a large part of the core consumers that stuck by Apple during the dark days. Apple shouldn't have abandoned them, and their choice machine, without warning or explanation, IMO.

• Reply 126 of 156
    [quote name="Dickprinter" url="/t/150628/apple-officially-axes-17-inch-macbook-pro-from-notebook-lineup/120#post_2367533"]
    See, TS? This is your typical M.O. [/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks; I'll take care of saying what is and is not me from here on in. You don't seem to be capable of doing it anyway.

[QUOTE]Cameraman is a new member and he made a comment in an article/thread that has been inactive for over a year. He expressed his feelings about the tools of his trade, both HW & SW, that, obviously, are very useful to him for his profession. His profession has probably made him quite proficient in using Final Cut Pro and while he may be opposed to change, FCPX was a radically new but incomplete replacement of, at the time, a much more powerful (albeit aging) application. At the time, if you recall, FCPX was greatly panned by video pros for being embarrassingly incomplete. With him being in the business, I would value his opinion a little more than yours.[/QUOTE]

Oh dear. One person. Who refuses to actually say anything whatsoever about his experience with the software or any manner of followup question.

Whatever shall the testimonies of dozens of other, established and trustworthy users here do in the face of such well thought out and detailed complaints as "Don't even get me started on FCPX"?

Honestly, the level of intelligence required for you to be saying this unironically is depressing.

[QUOTE]When my current 17" MBP dies, it's going to make my portable business life a lot more difficult when I have to downsize to a 15" screen. Another brand is NOT an option because it's all about the OS and SW for me.[/QUOTE]

So I guess the 17" doesn't matter to you at all, then. Because really, if it did, you'd switch.

[QUOTE]Apple shouldn't have abandoned them, and their choice machine, without warning or explanation, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Your opinion's useless; they didn't. And as the answers are already in place, one more pointless person whining about absolutely nothing whatsoever without even reading them beforehand doesn't deserve an equally verbose reply each time.

In summary, shut up and go away.
  • Reply 127 of 156
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

In summary, shut up and go away.

Thank you for proving my point so eloquently. This showcases just how unintelligent you truly are.

• Reply 128 of 156

One theory is that Apple could source off-the-shelf 17" LCD displays (Retina) from their suppliers but when technology evolves to the point where this is standard they could well roll-out the 17" again - see here: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/why-apple-dumped-the-17-inch-macbook-pro/20761

• Reply 129 of 156
    I recently saw a smartly dressed woman using a 17" Macbook on the train. I had completely forgotten just how big that thing was. Outside of a few niche reasons why would you need to carry around such a large laptop, why isn't an external monitor enough. I'm just asking here, I really don't know, I've always believed a notebook should be as small and light as possible for the task at hand. Task at hand being the keyword, do video editors travel to offsite locations enough to warrant such a large display, or printing, photo professionals.
  • Reply 130 of 156
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I recently saw a smartly dressed woman using a 17" Macbook on the train. I had completely forgotten just how big that thing was. Outside of a few niche reasons why would you need to carry around such a large laptop, why isn't an external monitor enough.

Real work, anywhere.  True, these days my daily carry is an 11" model, and I do use a second monitor at the office.  But the 17" MPB let me do more serious work than I can cram into a small screen, no matter where I was.  If the 17" model was still being made I might be among the few who would opt for it.

• Reply 131 of 156
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    relic wrote: »
    I recently saw a smartly dressed woman using a 17" Macbook on the train. I had completely forgotten just how big that thing was. Outside of a few niche reasons why would you need to carry around such a large laptop, why isn't an external monitor enough. I'm just asking here, I really don't know, I've always believed a notebook should be as small and light as possible for the task at hand. Task at hand being the keyword, do video editors travel to offsite locations enough to warrant such a large display, or printing, photo professionals.

When the 15" and 17" are side-by-side, the 17" doesn't look that much bigger:

[VIDEO]

The laptop dimensions are:
    13" = 12.8" x 8.9"
    15" = 14.4" x 9.8"
    17" = 15.4" x 10.4"

so there's a bigger change in laptop dimensions between the 13" and 15" than 15" and 17":

I'd say the biggest reason for the 17" at one point was resolution. The 15" used to top out at 1440x900 and the cMBP still does without the hi-res upgrade. The 17" went up to 1920x1200. The rMBP goes up to 1920x1200 now though:

http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/2078#5

so you get the same desktop space. I doubt a Retina 17" would offer higher than 1920x1200 because the UI would get too small. It's just over 10% more in each dimension. It works for the 13" as it tops out at 1680x1050 and moves to 1920x1200 on the 15". The next standard resolution would be 2048x1280 (2K), which doesn't offer much over 1920x1200.

For people who only use an internal display productively, it does help for it to be physically bigger but for productive use, I personally don't like anything under 20". I even find Apple's 20.5" iMac too small and I'd prefer if they went to 22-24".
  • Reply 132 of 156
    Yea, now compare it next a 11" Air.:p
  • Reply 133 of 156
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solstice View Post

I just can’t think of any legitimate excuse why the heck they would discontinue 17" MPBs.

Lack of sales.

Perhaps, but most firms appreciate that if you don't offer customers what they want (within reason) they will eventually go elsewhere.

• Reply 134 of 156
    macikemacike Posts: 73member

It is ridiculous for Apple to discontinue the 17" MacBook Pro! Nobody would expect the same volume from a 17" model,that you get from 11",13",and 15" Models. This is/was a Halo/Aspirational/Flagship machine! Why is it that other companies offer 17" Laptops,still? Some people,Professionals especially,need Screen-Estate,and there is no substitute for it. This type of device is like the largest TV offered in the lineup,or your Corvette,Presidential Rolex,7-series BMW,Mercedes-Benz S-Class,Lexus LS460,Top-of-the-line Harley! You want to let the public and your Customers know what you are capable of,and as an Engineering prowess Showhorse. What is with the stupid concern over how much money it makes? They charged more for it than the other models,and were making it,when they only had a fraction of the profits that they have enjoyed in the last 6 or 7 years! They're making more money than damn near anyone else on earth,so why is it so important to make overwhelming profits on everything they touch? Desktop computers have been in decline lately,but that doesn't mean that you should stop making them altogether. Apple also has an obligation to support the Customers that stuck with them during their shaky days,Mac Pro AND 17" MACBOOK PRO CUSTOMERS! I hope that one day soon,they will restore the 17" macBook Pro,I'm buying another one to put up,so that when my current one dies,I'll still have one to use! Apple should be ashamed of itself.

• Reply 135 of 156

I stream Music,download Software,but I also play CD's and DVD's!  I still like Firewire and eSata,not only USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt. I'm not getting rid of my Firewire and eSata-capable drives! I may buy a Drive that is USB 3.0/2.0-capable,along with USB/Thunderbolt drives,in the future. However,I am not gonna be forced to throw away my recent,great performing peripherals and devices.

• Reply 136 of 156
    macike wrote: »
    It is What is with the stupid concern over how much money it makes?

How DARE Apple try to run a business!
    They're making more money than damn near anyone else on earth,so why is it so important to make overwhelming profits on everything they touch?

How DARE Apple try to… you get it.
    Desktop computers have been in decline lately,but that doesn't mean that you should stop making them altogether.

Isn't the 17" MacBook Pro supposed to be a laptop? Or did you users never actually take it anywhere?
    Mac Pro

They made a new one. It has a future.
    Apple should be ashamed of itself.

Someone should, at least.
    …but I also play CD's and DVD's!

And you didn't notice 'round about 2008 that you should think about pulling that back?
    I still like Firewire and eSata,not only USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt. I'm not getting rid of my Firewire and eSata-capable drives!

No one's asking you to. Adapters exist.
  • Reply 137 of 156

It doesn't mean that Apple is not "running a Business",just because some models don't sell in as gigantic numbers as others. That's the same type of message that Mac Pro users were telling Apple. Yes,I do take me 17" MBP with me,5.6 lbs. isn't heavy or awkward to me. I mentioned that I stream Music,download Apps,and all the rest,but I still watch AND BUY CD's and DVD's,and I why should  have to scale back,unless I want to? That's an individual choice. Again,High-end products are expected to be volume leaders,and they still do have a place in the lineup. Did you even hear or read the comments about Halo Products or aspirational products? Just because you're perfectly happy with a 13" or 15" MBP,doesnt dismiss other users desire or need for a bigger Laptop. Make your choice,and allow others to make theirs. Some people want V-8's,some want V-6's,and some are perfectly fine with 4-cylinders. Are they ignorant,stupid,or behind-the-times,because they aren't happy with YOUR CHOICES? I spend my money the way I prefer,and don't have any criticism for your choices at all! Do the same for me. Are you saying that all of the manufacturers that did,and still make 17" models are Idiots for making them?  Apple has made decisions in the past that weren't well thought-out,and had to change them;this may well be one of them.

• Reply 138 of 156

Just like with the unnecessarily thin imac,I don't want a bunch of adapters or dongles hanging of my MBP or imac,destroying the very esthetics that made me want them in the first place. The 17" model had an express card slot,which serves more purposes than an adapter.When Apple take the Optical drives out of their machines,or eliminates FireWire and e-SATA,they FORCE us to buy adapters,used dongles,or brick our equipment. Daisy chaining peripherals is not practical for some users,and what if your third or fourth peripheral in the chain,needs to be disconnected? We know that technology is not going to stay the same,but function following form,is a mistake in many users eyes. Some people will just accept whatever is presented to them. Apple was pushed to bring back their small Laptops,they were pushed to put Apps on their iphones,they were pushed to put Matte screens on their High-end Portables,they were pushed to update the Mac Pro,obviously all of their original moves weren't always the best decisions! Apple sells about 90% of the portable that cost over $1,000,it seems that there is a great business out here,that doesn't always require big market share. Obviously I meant to say,that high-end products,AREN'T MEANT TO BE MARKET LEADERS AS FAR AS VOLUME,but there is definitely still a business case for them,whether Apple abandons the market for good or not. Different strokes,for different Folks. We realize that Apple is not gonna try to be everything to everybody. It is within their power and Grasp,to support the Mac Pro users who want to be able to easily and cheaply replace or upgrade their Memory/hard Drives/Graphic Cards,and to provide Professional or Workstation-level Screen Real-Estate for their Portable Customers. 

• Reply 139 of 156
    It doesn't mean that Apple is not "running a Business",just because some models don't sell in as gigantic numbers as others.

Please read the post.
    …why should  have to scale back,unless I want to?

Then don't. But you don't get to whine that your hardware is getting old.
    …High-end products are expected to be volume leaders…

I assume you mean "aren't", except that's the opposite of every other product category Apple makes.
    Did you even hear or read the comments about Halo Products or aspirational products?

Sure. The Mac Pro and 17" MacBook Pro weren't that.
    Make your choice,and allow others to make theirs.

So go buy a 17" laptop from someone who isn't Apple and just quit complaining. You seem to know what you want, Apple doesn't make it, therefore you can't buy from Apple.
    Are you saying that all of the manufacturers that did,and still make 17" models are Idiots for making them?

How's that a relevant question?
    Just like with the unnecessarily thin imac

Except it isn't.
    I don't want a bunch of adapters or dongles hanging of my MBP or iMac,destroying the very esthetics that made me want them in the first place.

You have external hard drives in the first place. Are you even listening to yourself?
    The 17" model had an express card slot,which serves more purposes than an adapter.

… NOT AT THE SAME TIME. Which means you still have to cart around ExpressCard/34 cards. Nice try.
    When Apple take the Optical drives out of their machines,or eliminates FireWire and e-SATA,they FORCE us to buy adapters,used dongles,or brick our equipment.

There's also this thing called "keep using your old stuff".
    Daisy chaining peripherals is not practical for some users,and what if your third or fourth peripheral in the chain,needs to be disconnected?

Then take five seconds out of your busy schedule and plan how to connect said peripherals better. My stars: this is YOUR problem.
    Apple was pushed to bring back their small Laptops

They never got rid of them.
    they were pushed to put Matte screens on their High-end Portables

That's funny.
    they were pushed to update the Mac Pro

No, not really. They've been planning this for a while.
    …it seems that there is a great business out here…

You don't make them enough money to be viable. End of discussion.
    …high-end products,AREN'T MEANT TO BE MARKET LEADERS AS FAR AS VOLUME

Wonder why every other high-end product from Apple is, then.
    Different strokes,for different Folks.

You keep using a bunch of idioms and unsubstantiated phrases to try to make people believe that absolutely every single use case deserves its own product. You're fundamentally wrong. As long as you don't understand that, you'll never understand why Apple doesn't have any reason to make said products.
    We realize that Apple is not gonna try to be everything to everybody.

That's funny, because everything you've said points to thinking the opposite, as I stated above.
    to support the Mac Pro users who want to be able to easily and cheaply replace or upgrade their Memory/hard Drives/Graphic Cards,and to provide Professional or Workstation-level Screen Real-Estate for their Portable Customers. 

Okay. Except they're not doing that at all.
  • Reply 140 of 156

In my original post,I said that I was buying another 17" MBP and storing it until I need it,because the smaller ones don't serve my needs well.  Did you read that? Maybe you don't understand that many Pros want internal storage and flexibility,and want Screen Real-Estate on our portables. I had the 14" Powerbook,and previous 15" MBP's before,and I prefer the 17" model. I don't have to buy a 17" model from another company,and I'm not whining. I'm expressing what I like and prefer,and I'm not alone. IBM abandoned the Consumer computer market a few years back,and look what Lenovo has done with it.Supposedly Apple previously chose Form following function,now it seems that it's the exact opposite,such as making the iMac thinner,and getting rid of the optical drive and Ethernet. The Computer world is big enough,and flexible enough for more than one type of Consumer to be taken care of,even Apple. Apple has gone almost entirely toward the Consumer,and has Shitted on their Pro and Pro-Sumer customers!  They admitted it during the last keynote,when Phil Schiler said,"Can't innovate,my Ass".