Apple's new Retina Display MacBook Pro, MacBook Air sport slimmer MagSafe 2 port

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

I think the people who liked the L shaped Magsafe connector only liked it for the novelty appearance, because it looked different.

I like the L-shaped connector because it's a lot more durable. I have been through three of the legacy adaptors from my 1st-gen MacBook Pro, while the L-shaped connector is still solid. It still disconnects when it needs to.

• Reply 42 of 49
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Embarrassingly enough, I still only have 6GB of RAM in my Mac Pro, despite very probably needing more (and benefiting from more).

I have Activity Monitor as a login application, with the amount of RAM in use in the dock. Even though I always see a little spare memory (green in pie chart) I ordered 4x4GB at OWC when ordering a SSD PCIe card for mine. Although I probably don't need it there's no way of telling if it makes a difference as the SSD card is making my Mac fly again.

Bottom line: if you don't think or feel you need more RAM you probably don't. And if you do, it's certainly cheaper than some people on this site paid, back in the day.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    stustu Posts: 11member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu View Post

Also worth noting that these rev2 jobbies do not charge the battery whilst you're using the notebook, only when it's off or in sleep mode. This update seems a backward step in a couple of ways.

Apologies, chaps. The UK apple store entries for the magsafe2 adapters didn't include charging whilst in-use last night, unlike the magsafe1 entries in the same shop. Thankfully those entries have been updated since, and now say the same as the magsafe1 entries which include charging whilst in-use.

• Reply 44 of 49
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member

I'm just glad to see a converter is available. I have four power adapters placed strategically around my home and office, and when it comes time for a new laptop, it would be significant extra cost to replace all of those.

• Reply 45 of 49
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    doh123 wrote: »
    it fit on the air because they could fit things in at angles.  With the flat side, the port doesn't fit.  They would have to had made the machine wider to use angles (and look ugly), or thicker.... or make a new port.  I think the new port was the best option.

I agree it'd be no good to have a sloped side like the air, if it had then it'd pretty much be a 15" MBA. However, if the flat on each side was just a millimetre or two more, then an "old" Magsafe adapter would have worked fine. The old Magsafe plug isn't exactly fat. With an extra few millimetres they might even have been able to (gasp) have upgradable RAM.

jragosta wrote: »
    Darned right. Serial, Parallel, and SCSI are good enough for anyone. /s

Funny. Of course there are cases where new ports and standards are necessary, but this new Magsafe connector has been designed purely so that the Macbook can be a tiny smidgen or so thinner. Functionally it's no improvement at all, unlike the change from serial/parallel/SCSI to USB/Thunderbolt. Now people with old chargers or displays have to have yet more adapters. Maybe we should start calling Apple the adapter company, I must have 10 different Apple adapters hanging about. I wonder how long it'll be before we have Magsafe 3 and everyone has to have Magsafe 2 to 3 adapters.

lukei wrote: »
    New Mac Pro was launched yesterday, it's just on the website not in the keynote. I guess the keynote was full enough!

Yes, so new that even Apple removed the "new" tag.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    lorinyclorinyc Posts: 4member

Actually there are some other brands but Kensington who provides a genuine security solution, I ran into Maclocks when I was looking for a lock to my MacBook Air for school, ran into this review http://youtu.be/SvK9wd1dIqY for Maclocks Macbook Air Lock and Security Case Bundle, The case protects the MBA with 5 screws attached and I use the cable lock when I sit in the library or Starbucks, really works great for me!

Try to look here: http://www.maclocks.com/index.php/mac-locks.html Not sure they already have a lock for the new MBP but I guess it's just a matter of weeks 

• Reply 47 of 49

Actually there are some other brands but Kensington who provides a genuine security solution, I ran into Maclocks when I was looking for a lock to my MacBook Air for school, ran into this review http://youtu.be/SvK9wd1dIqY for Maclocks Macbook Air Lock and Security Case Bundle, The case protects the MBA with 5 screws attached and I use the cable lock when I sit in the library or Starbucks, really works great for me!

Try to look here: http://www.maclocks.com/index.php/mac-locks.html Not sure they already have a lock for the new MBP but I guess it's just a matter of weeks 

• Reply 48 of 49

Actually there are some other brands but Kensington who provides a genuine security solution, I ran into Maclocks when I was looking for a lock to my MacBook Air for school, ran into this review http://youtu.be/SvK9wd1dIqY for Maclocks Macbook Air Lock and Security Case Bundle, The case protects the MBA with 5 screws attached and I use the cable lock when I sit in the library or Starbucks, really works great for me!

• Reply 49 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Have you ever tried actually pulling a Kensington lock out of the slot? We had a heap of iMacs stolen, every Kensington lock (genuine ones, not cheap Chinese rip-offs) had broken at the cross section of the T. We experimented with them afterward, and a sharp tug at the correct angle and the T just snaps right off. Complete waste of time and absolutely no security at all.

I do agree with you about the Mac Pro though, and I'm sure many others do too. I'm still on a 2006 Mac Pro, which even now is still running like the day it was made. Can't quite say the same for the 2006 iMacs and MacBooks. Two years since the last Mac Pro update, and we get just a minor speed bump? That's just insulting.

Kensington isn't the only genuine lock for Macs, I use Maclocks security case and lock for my MacBook Air which doesn't have a lock slot either, found this review:  and read some good feedback on it, the case stays on the MBA, I connect the cable whenever I sit at the library or Starbucks, once the case and cable are locked together, thieves can't detach the case without damaging the MacBook Air.works great for me.

I recommend to see if they already offer a lock for the new MBP: http://www.maclocks.com/index.php/mac-locks.html