Nine auto makers partner with Apple for 'Eyes Free' Siri support

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

The article's lead is wrong. This initiative has nothing to do with iOS 6. It's just Apple working with auto makers to add a hardware button to their cars. My iPhone is already hands free with this Griffin cable (http://store.griffintechnology.com/hands-free-microphone).

• Reply 62 of 66
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    chabig wrote: »
    The article's lead is wrong. This initiative has nothing to do with iOS 6. It's just Apple working with auto makers to add a hardware button to their cars. My iPhone is already hands free with this Griffin cable (http://store.griffintechnology.com/hands-free-microphone).

1.How's the title wrong? They're prtnering to have a dedicated button on the steering wheel, just what the title says.

2. That cable obviously only works if you have a AUX-IN at the dashboard side. Many AUX-IN is on the back, or in the glove compartment. Bluetooth haters will like this cable.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Exactly! What's wrong with the idea of Siri just always being listening when the screen is on?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Battery use of the device and constant sending data to and from Siri's servers to listen to anything and everything when you have the screen on. Remember that it's not processed locally so the device is dumb when it comes to understand what is a command and what is not. How would it even know when there is someone talking next to you and sending that to Siri?

Eventually I expect that to happen but there are so many other things that need to be worked out first that such a system seems very far off.

Surely Siri can be programmed to recognise a voice wake-up call without being online. Battery use being alert for wake-up calls is minimal. This can also be activated by car mode if you really wanted.

Seems a built in button is just an expensive, overly complex mechanism in todays world. Only benefit is it may make someone, who do not know the same thing is available on other phones, commit to an iPhone.

• Reply 64 of 66
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    nairb wrote: »
     Surely Siri can be programmed to recognise a voice wake-up call without being online. Battery use being alert for wake-up calls is minimal. This can also be activated by car mode if you really wanted.

Battery use may not be an issue. Most users probably would park their phone in a powered cradle on the dash (per this article's photo) to use Maps and nav.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I like FORD and always had a Ford in my Garage, but they are being stupid in this case with the long term agreement that have with M$. It going to make their product look bad in the future. Syncmyride does not work well, it has lots of restriction, and in typical M$ fashion limited to no updates as problem by the users are found.

Ford is the loser in this case.

Ford is f*cked. there is no way their MS-based half-ass system is going to compete with the full iOS integration of their key competitors. if Toyota and GM's 2014 models in particular are iOS-ready, Ford is going to lose some significant market share as a result in 2014 as iPhone owners abandon it. and that's a huge chunk of the American market in particular.

serves Ford right. they wanted to act like a telco and trap their car owners in a monthly fee rip off set up. 

• Reply 66 of 66
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

I'm a little curious what's involved in this that's beyond the scope of current bluetooth integration?  As of right now placing calls, using voice navigation, playing music, etc..., can all be done through bluetooth, and you can do all at the same time...  I can have music playing, the navigation will interrupt it, I can take/place a call, when I'm done the music/nav are still running, etc...

So apart from a software update on Apple's side, what difference will there be on the car side?  A new steering wheel button?  (my car already has 3 buttons for controlling the phone)  To me this seems like something that could be integrated in any car with bluetooth, and is more a marketing gimmick than true integration.  Kind of like how Chrome browsers now have Siri-like voice queries on any computer with a mic (and no need for new hardware like iOS Siri).