Tim Cook confirms updated Mac Pro coming in 2013

Comments

• Reply 21 of 339
    izazaizaza Posts: 8member

Be Aware, This is a trick, new pro macs will come very soon, this is just to continue selling current ones. Wake up guys, they are not going ti tell you their secret and have problem selling the current ones.

• Reply 22 of 339
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Interesting...  Anyone willing to bet WHEN regarding that announcement by Tim Cook of his use of "later next year".  So folks, give your best guesstimate as to when the TRULY updated and possibly redesigned MacPros and iMacs will be released to the buying public?  Your guess is as good as mine.

I'll start...

January 02, 2013!  Because by then, I'll really be hurting for a new computer!

Your turn...

/

/

/

• Reply 23 of 339
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

So they are doing leaks and such to stop people jumping ship. Ok, but many pros need every ounce of speed, so please don't go skipping generations of CPU.

And is it true that the *iMac* also will not be updated until 2013? The only reason I can think of for that is they are waiting for enough big HiDPI panels to become available. 

• Reply 24 of 339
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

I hope all those in comments after the previous article about this petition who said it was a waste of time and that Pros should just get over it or "adapt or die" are able to admit they were wrong. Perhaps I should go find some choice quotes from that thread?

• Reply 25 of 339

why waste your time at just 8...that should be the minimum they already have 10 core xeons..oh wait its a mac server....what use would it be anyway

• Reply 26 of 339

why not go really crazy and invent an 8 socket 10 core mac...now you're talking power

• Reply 26 of 339

alright, since Nvidia graphics are back (in the MBP Retina Display), let's say that "insanely great" could include options for Quadro 5000 & 6000 (yes, means a beefier power supply) and how about a 4k Cinema Display (DP v1.2 supports 4k x 2k resolution) with HDMI and TOSlink out (for passing embedded 5.1/7.1 audio)?

Obviously, if we talk about 2013, the Ivy Bridge "tick+" has come and gone and the ensuing tock should be in full swing.  PCIe 3.0 mobos are plentiful, RAM that's faster than 1600MHz, etc.

next would come the leapfrog bits: 12Gb/S SAS, SSD caching on the mobo, and rear-removable PSU (js, rackmount form factor is assumed)

AT LEAST one additional x32 slot (the PCIe 3 equivalent of x16) for that expansion chassis, with total bandwidth exceeding 80 lanes, so those 3x Thunderbolt ports can coexist

then comes NIC - 10GbE should have come down, potentially allowing for a pair of NICs  (maybe optical implementation is an option…)

then, the piece de resistance: for years, the CPU modules in Mac Pro towers have been modular.  Let us start with a 16-core and swap in 2x 12-core procs when they become available!  The annual spend would actually increase, serviceability wouldn't be adversely affected - who knows, we might even keep parts on the shelf!

I'm not coming from IT - I'm coming from enabling and supporting creative types, who have, for 25 years and more, kept returning to Apple to pay the premium price, but have felt all but abandoned in a sea of iOS device frenzy. We like the little guys, but come on - that we can make a living making content that's just as likely to show up on Pirate Bay or DRM-less audio sites, as it is to be licensed for an ad or a film, is a testament to our tenacity.  Show us some love in the tools we rely on, and "insanely great" will continue to spring from Mac users, not just Mac makers.

Thanks for dropping the dime, Tim!  it's a breath of fresh air…

• Reply 28 of 339
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Pretty Brazen of you!  I made no post, pro or con, that you can quote on the Need a NEW MacPro page, because I have no bone in this dog fight.  Now create a 'Need a NEW iMac' page and I'm there.  However, I also recall when Steve Jobs promised us 3.0 GHz processor speeds in the G5 within a year that never ever came to fruition. 

Everybody had the best intentions... IBM, Apple, Steve, but stuff happens and you just never know.  So count your chickens after they have hatched.  And when the new MacPros are announced, then you can go get those quotes and self congratulations.

/

/

/

• Reply 29 of 339

can someone explain to me how these things are supposed to be the "beefy" versions of a mac when they run on outdated slow hardware?

• Reply 30 of 339
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member

Hopefully with matte displays, at least as an option, even if more expensive:

MacMatte (matte petition)

• Reply 31 of 339
    rick 007rick 007 Posts: 16member

I have been using desktops for my side home business since 1993.  My current machine is a 2007 Mac Pro (3.0 GHz, 8-core).  I've always needed more power and as a small business, having a single powerful workstation gave me best bang for the buck.

I was planning to update earlier (usually do so every 3 to 4 years), but other costs came up and I held off.

I just ordered the 12-core Mac Pro and paid the premium for the 3.06 GHz chips.  Why?  Well, it's purely business.  Since my current Mac Pro won't be upgradable to Mountain Lion, I need a new machine.  And, since the only machine that's faster than mine is the Mac Pro, it's the obvious choice.  If I got any other machine, I would have stepped down in performance.  That made no business sense at all.

But beyond the requirement of moving to 10.8, the estimated speed boost of this machine should be around 2x over what I have.  Had Apple used the latest Xeons (the ones just released on May 14th), I could have had up to a 4x speed boost.  But, I will gladly take the 2x.

In a perfect world, Apple (and other companies) would be able to produce new machines on a fixed cycle such that each one would give the same speed boost over the last generation.  But, that's not what happens in the real world.

Yes, I too was initially disappointed at the extremely minor bump.  And, I'm not able to get a shiny new external Thunderbolt RAID, etc.  But, there were other solutions that will satisfy my needs just fine.

And, over 3 years, the cost of this Mac Pro will be between 5 to 10% of my net income.  Not bad for a small business I do on the side.  And a small price to pay for operating costs.  The extra productivity also reduces the amount of money (time) spent.  So even though many of us feel like we lost, the Mac Pro is still a clear win for me.

• Reply 32 of 339
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

I'd like to know what exactly the problem is with the *current* Mac Pros?  Do they not run Final Cut fast enough? They might not have the absolute newest video card, but what are you doing with it that you'll need that? I don't get all the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth. It's a workstation costing several thousand dollars, with the top-end system requiring a bank-loan for some (unless their company picks it up or writes it off, etc.) So it isn't meant to be updated very regularly. These things are built to last and built to handle heavy loads. 

I'd like to know how Apple's current Mac Pro upgrade cycle is having such a detrimental effect on Pros that they're *losing money* because the machines can't do the work necessary to fulfill contractual obligations to clients.

I'm betting that the above is hardly the case. 

Here was the mid-2010 lineup. Let's not even talk about the most recent spec bump.

Mid-2010 Mac Pro Lineup

Quad-Core

8-Core

12-Core

CPU

1 x Xeon W3530 (2.8GHz - 4C/8T)

2 x Xeon E5620 (2.4GHz - 4C/8T)

2 x Xeon X5650 (2.66GHz - 6C/12T)

Memory

3 x 1GB DDR3-1066

6GB DDR3-1066

6GB DDR3-1333

Graphics

Radeon HD 5770 1GB

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Hard Drive

1TB

1TB 7200RPM SATA

1TB 7200RPM SATA

Optical

18x DL SuperDrive

18x DL SuperDrive

18x DL SuperDrive

Prices

$2499

$3499

$4999

And there's opportunity for expandability there. Unmatched build quality. By the looks of it, lots of power. And it runs OS X. 

• Reply 33 of 339
    seankillseankill Posts: 567member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think the current answer to that is that the retina 15" model has far greater resolution and more screen real estate than the old 17" did.

So unless you have bad eyesight (which lets face it isn't really a computer manufacturer's problem), the 15" will work for most of those that used to use the 17".  Also Apple has spent the last five years or so adding all kinds of technology to the OS to help people deal with doing more on smaller screens like multiple desktops, Mission Control, fast app switching, full screen apps, swiping, etc., so you could use those as well.  

How does the 15'' laptop have more real estate than the 17''

Not sure what definition you use, but at least mine is the area of the screen (square inches) which results in a bigger screen. Now more resolution is awesome. I have an ipad 2 and notice the ipad 3 or the "New IPad" doesn't show pixels like the 2 does. However, i use my laptop about 2+ feet away from my eyes. So the need for such a high pixel density isn't as high as for an ipad or iphone. I do, however, need the area of the screen to be bigger when I am doing school work and the whole arguement of airplay or additional monitor does not make sense. Let me carry around a monitor wherever I go?

That said, i understand why Apple made the move.

However, I don't think I will be buying a Mac with my internship money next year. Hopefully Windows 7 is as decent as I hear it is.

• Reply 34 of 339
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member

There isn't a good Thunderbolt strategy at the moment for the Xeon platform according to readers of Anandtech.

• Reply 35 of 339

Wasn't it Steve Jobs himself that said, "isn't it funny, a ship that leaks from the top?"

• Reply 36 of 339
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

How does the 15'' laptop have more real estate than the 17''

Resolution. 

Show me a 24-inch display with 1920x1200 resolution, and then show me a 27-inch display with 1920x1080. 

I'll be taking the 24-inch display. The 27-incher in the example above, for desktop work, will have a physically bigger display, but you'll end up seeing *less* of your work. What you *do* see will just look bigger. You won't actually see more. So all that extra real estate you perceive will be useless. 

Resolution is everything (until you're getting a little too small physically.) So I'll be taking a 15-inch MBP that has a higher res over a 17-inch MBP that has a lower res. Very happy to sacrifice two physical inches for bigger resolution. 

• Reply 37 of 339
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    flaneur wrote: »
    So look how forthcoming Tim Cook is about this. What a guy.
    I know someone's wanting to say Apple is doomed because he's not acting like Steve Jobs.

Something very subtle has been happening at Apple since Tim took control. Apple seems to be more aware of the needs of the Pro and Business users -- especially pre-announcing strategic directions. This allows those whose paycheck/career/business depends on products and features and needs to plan and budget for their adoption.

This [partial] opening of the kimono, if done effectively, should not impact the secrecy benefit that Apple enjoys in the consumer market.

I would not be surprised to see large enterprises enter into co-development efforts with Apple (with appropriate NDAs).

I remember complaining to Guy Kawasaki (a few years before Steve left) that Apple didn't understand "businesses" and was missing a great opportunity. I always believed that Steve was the primary reason, and that he prided himself in it!

Tim, has come from the "other side" and understands how enterprise works and what they need -- and I expect he will engage that business without sacrificing the consumer needs.

Nothing against Steve -- Steve provided the platform (Apple) from which Tim can move the enterprise world.

I like it!
  • Reply 38 of 339

"...allaying fears of current Mac Pro owners that the desktop had reached its end of life"

Well if your current Mac Pro hadn't reached end of life before, it sure did now with this announcement. 

• Reply 39 of 339
    seankillseankill Posts: 567member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Resolution. 

Show me a 24-inch display with 1920x1200 resolution, and then show me a 27-inch display with 1920x1080. 

I'll be taking the 24-inch display. The 27-incher in the example above, for desktop work, will have a physically bigger display, but you'll end up seeing *less* of your work. What you *do* see will just look bigger. You won't actually see more. So all that extra real estate you perceive will be useless. 

Resolution is everything (until you're getting a little too small physically.) So I'll be taking a 15-inch MBP that has a higher res over a 17-inch MBP that has a lower res. Very happy to sacrifice two physical inches for bigger resolution. 

Well, great resolution is great, but I personally (and a few other people) prefer the larger screen size, because what we work with requires it to be bigger and I like to work at a desk, leaned back where my face is 2-3 feet from the screen. If you want more real estate, just have apple increase the resolution of the 17inch as well. 

But once again, I understand their business move

• Reply 40 of 339
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Everything seems rather confusing at the moment with the Mac.

1. We now have old and new MBPs which seems a real fudge. In the past Apple would have been bold and simply jumped onto the new technology and dumped the old MBP.

2. The MBA seems confused. Are they planning to merge the MBA and MBP as some have rumoured or keep the 2 distinct product lines?

3. Tim Cook says that they have something very interesting for Pro customers next year. He didn't actually say it would be a new Mac Pro though. It could be an entirely new product or an iMac Pro.

4. What happens to the iMac and Mac Mini in the meantime - are they getting a spec bump this year or do we have to wait until next year now?

5. Software seems to have fallen off the agenda. Aperture and Final Cut received updates purely to promote the new retina MBP rather than to add new features. iWork seems to have totally dropped of the radar.

I'm not really sure Apple knows were it's going with the Mac anymore.