Apple to kill Ping with next major iTunes release

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 54
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by damians View Post


    I'd like to know when they're going to overhaul iTunes? IT just keeps getting slower and bloated. Apple need to do something about it!





    Bloated, yes. "Keeps getting slower"? Don't think so. It depends on what you're doing.

  • Reply 42 of 54
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post







    Music alone is not enough to sustain a social network when other social networks don't specify a subject matter.


     


    Disagree. It just wasn't properly executed.

  • Reply 43 of 54
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post





    Because this is AI, and all we do is whine, remember? (Posting from my iPad, so I can't display any emoticons).




    No truer words have been spoken (written) here (or anywhere). image

  • Reply 44 of 54
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    Poor Ping. Everybody knew he was holding up the production line, with that bum hand of his, but sometimes Tim just goes too far.



     


    LOL. That's a good one.

  • Reply 45 of 54
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    When checking Activity Monitor, it seems to me iTunes only uses one CPU. What's up with that? When iTunes is converting, de- & en coding it takes a freakin' long time, even on a 8 core MP.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 501member


    The problem with Ping is that Apple got it completely wrong.


     


    What's needed isn't another social network.


    What's needed IS a dead simple music data system.


     


    We need a way to track our iTunes library and automatically compile lists such as


    - New Releases From Artists Tagged 3 Stars Or Higher In My iTunes Library.


    - New Releases In Genres I Follow


    - Trending In Genres I Follow


     


    My iTunes library has over 25,000 songs, and I guarantee that's not even a particularly large number these days.  It's impossible to keep up with all of the great music being released - especially when it comes to independent artists.  I can't even tell you how many times I've found something new by an artist I like and thought "Holy crap.  When did THIS come out?  How did I miss it?"


     


    Ping should have been a music discovery service instead of a social media platform.  Simple.  Minimal.  Charts and playlists, kind of like Last FM, but even easier.  Eventually, it could have grown into social media, but the focus should have been 100% on music discovery.  Not social media.

  • Reply 47 of 54

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post





    I could see that perhaps being a little difficult for obscure bands but even then, it seems like it's little more than a search away. I think the best thing Apple could do is bring the features of Ping to Twitter e.g TwiTunes - icon is the bird with the iTunes musical note. Bands would simply tweet that they have a new album or single with an embedded iTunes preview. Then followers can click on it to buy the song. Instead of the Ping links in iTunes, Apple could allow bands to put links to their social networks so that it is easy to follow them.

    Music alone is not enough to sustain a social network when other social networks don't specify a subject matter.


    Ever tried a Google Search for popular bands? You don't necessarily find the real band pages. It's not as easy as you think to find what you want when Google skews the results often.


     


    So easy to find it in iTunes. Now, if they are integrating Facebook as well as Twitter then it can be easy to find for the same reason as Ping. We'll have to see.

  • Reply 48 of 54
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post



    When checking Activity Monitor, it seems to me iTunes only uses one CPU. What's up with that? When iTunes is converting, de- & en coding it takes a freakin' long time, even on a 8 core MP.




    Don't most apps use only one core? Few are optimized for multiprocessing.

  • Reply 49 of 54
    rainrain Posts: 538member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post


    The problem with Ping is that Apple got it completely wrong.


     


    What's needed isn't another social network.


    What's needed IS a dead simple music data system.


     


    We need a way to track our iTunes library and automatically compile lists such as


    - New Releases From Artists Tagged 3 Stars Or Higher In My iTunes Library.


    - New Releases In Genres I Follow


    - Trending In Genres I Follow


     


    My iTunes library has over 25,000 songs, and I guarantee that's not even a particularly large number these days.  It's impossible to keep up with all of the great music being released - especially when it comes to independent artists.  I can't even tell you how many times I've found something new by an artist I like and thought "Holy crap.  When did THIS come out?  How did I miss it?"


     


    Ping should have been a music discovery service instead of a social media platform.  Simple.  Minimal.  Charts and playlists, kind of like Last FM, but even easier.  Eventually, it could have grown into social media, but the focus should have been 100% on music discovery.  Not social media.



     


    Exactly!!!


    Excellent post.


     


    I was excited about Ping until I realized it did absolutely nothing.


     


    I was hoping Ping would connect me with people of similar tastes in music - a 'Genius' type function that gave you recommendation's on music you don't own.


    Major letdown for sure.


     


    If people could easily create their own playlists that people can listen to (sample) and then use a service like Ping to discover/share it... that would be spectacular. (make podcasting more friendly).


    However, it's another case of RIAA / Big Business chopping off it's nose to spite it's own face I imagine - they would never allow a service that insanely increases their sales - like Napster - if it means losing a bit of control.

  • Reply 50 of 54
    So... my prediction is Find My Friends next for s**t canning. Apple can't really do social.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    initiatorinitiator Posts: 104member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post


    Am I the last person on earth who actually realizes the trivial details of my daily activities are just that?  Incessant socializing is a terminal disease so far as character is concerned.


     


    Egads…  Not even I care about what music I listened to yesterday.  



     


    No, you are definitely not. I am right there with you. There are still a few of us on this planet that feel the same about "incessant socializing".


     


    I'm waiting for the day that Facebook will finally die....It can't come soon enough IMO.

  • Reply 52 of 54
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,208moderator
    2oh1 wrote: »
    the focus should have been 100% on music discovery.  Not social media.

    Good point, that is sorely needed in the music arena. They can't do discoverability very well for the App Store but at least with music, they have a music library with more well-defined genres to base your tastes and recommendations on. They can have notification bubbles when a band you already listen to releases something new.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    shaoshao Posts: 39member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    I find it humorous that you think you can speak for me. Or anyone, really.



     


    I speak not for anyone else, i simply pass the message on. . Ultimately though, a large section of the human planet find it more humorous that you, and most apple rentboys refuse to believe that anyone could be critical of anything apple make. 


     


    I suggest fire up your favourite browser, and search for criticism regarding itunes bloatware.


     


    "itunes bloatware" - 223,000 results


    "itunes crap" - 37,000,000 results


    "itunes slim" 74,000,000 results (the top being how to make itunes do a non-bloated install)


    "itunes shit" 128,000,000 results


    "itunes shitest software ever" - 137,000,000 results


     


    should i go on?

  • Reply 54 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shao View Post

    I speak not for anyone else, i simply pass the message on. . Ultimately though, a large section of the human planet find it more humorous that you, and most apple rentboys refuse to believe that anyone could be critical of anything apple make. 


     


    I suggest fire up your favourite browser, and search for criticism regarding itunes bloatware.


     


    "itunes bloatware" - 223,000 results


    "itunes crap" - 37,000,000 results


    "itunes slim" 74,000,000 results (the top being how to make itunes do a non-bloated install)


    "itunes shit" 128,000,000 results


    "itunes shitest software ever" - 137,000,000 results


     


    should i go on?



     


    Yes in that you haven't said a single word in defense of your original point and no in that you didn't actually have a valid original point.

Sign In or Register to comment.