Apple's bid to block June 21 US launch of Samsung Galaxy S III denied

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91

Yeah, it's not whether you win or lose, its how you play the game. Wait, that is what they told us in grade school. But in the real world, it is all about winning. If Apple wins this, they sell more devices and make more money and their share  price increases. Duh

• Reply 22 of 91
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member

I just looked at the specs on the Galaxy S III.  WAY better than the current iPhone, and I suspect better than the iPhone 5 specs will be.  And it's got rounded edges, so it's not going to be nearly as uncomfortable to hold as Apple's sharp-cornered slabs.  Oh, and it's got upgradeable storage and a REMOVABLE BATTERY, which Apple STILL can't seem to figure out how to do.

Apple needs to quit screwing around with lawyers and actually start innovating if they want to beat Android.  I like my iPhone, but I'm sick of Apple's stupid refusal to add features that I (and many other people) really want.  Open it up so we don't have to jailbreak, make the battery removable, give us the option of a bigger screen, round the back (the 3GS was the perfect shape, just a bit small), and put in a micro-SD card slot so we don't have to buy a whole new phone when the memory fills up.

• Reply 23 of 91
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="DarkVader" url="/t/150686/apples-bid-to-block-june-21-us-launch-of-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-denied#post_2127400"]I just looked at the specs on the Galaxy S III.  WAY better than the current iPhone, and I suspect better than the iPhone 5 specs will be. Oh, and it's got upgradeable storage and a REMOVABLE BATTERY, which Apple STILL can't seem to figure out how to do.[/QUOTE]

Yet another person that doesn't get it at all.

[QUOTE]Apple needs to quit screwing around with lawyers and actually start innovating if they want to beat Android.[/QUOTE]

You'll have to do better than that. No one even flinches at that nonsense anymore.

[QUOTE] I like my iPhone, but I'm sick of Apple's stupid refusal to add features that I (and many other people) really want.[/QUOTE]

So buy from someone else. Because "many other people" obviously don't want them.

[QUOTE]Open it up… …battery removable… …round the back… …micro-SD… [/QUOTE]

Am I the only one that still cracks up at this stuff?
  • Reply 24 of 91
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

I just looked at the specs on the Galaxy S III.  WAY better than the current iPhone, and I suspect better than the iPhone 5 specs will be. Oh, and it's got upgradeable storage and a REMOVABLE BATTERY, which Apple STILL can't seem to figure out how to do.

Quote:

Apple needs to quit screwing around with lawyers and actually start innovating if they want to beat Android.

You'll have to do better than that. No one even flinches at that nonsense anymore.

Quote:

I like my iPhone, but I'm sick of Apple's stupid refusal to add features that I (and many other people) really want.

So buy from someone else. Because "many other people" obviously don't want them.

Quote:

Open it up… …battery removable… …round the back… …micro-SD…

I did buy another phone to get the features I want and iOS6 doesn't give me any reason to switch back. Still use my iPhone 4S sometimes though but mainly just as a GPS in the car, works quite well even with the SIM removed.

MicroSD would be great but it didn't stop me buying a non upgradeable 32GB phone. I don't get worked up by the non removable battery either.

• Reply 25 of 91
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

I just looked at the specs on the Galaxy S III.  WAY better than the current iPhone, and I suspect better than the iPhone 5 specs will be. Oh, and it's got upgradeable storage and a REMOVABLE BATTERY, which Apple STILL can't seem to figure out how to do.

Quote:

Apple needs to quit screwing around with lawyers and actually start innovating if they want to beat Android.

Quote:

I like my iPhone, but I'm sick of Apple's stupid refusal to add features that I (and many other people) really want.

Quote:

Open it up… …battery removable… …round the back… …micro-SD…

LOL, I love this guy. 

Yeah, a mico SD slot? You mean that I can buy an 8GB model, buy a 32 GB card, load it up with music and movies and slap it in there and save myself the ridiculous price of buying a higher storage phone? Who would do that?

Am I the only one that still cracks up at this stuff? LOL!!!

Hey Skil, you're a very funny guy...or girl....or she-male....whatever you are. You crack me up. HAAHAHAHAAAAAA.

Hey Everyrone, lets laugh with him and all crack up together. On 3

• Reply 26 of 91
    "... incapable of innovation?"
    After two and a half years of using an iPhone I recently bought a Galaxy 2.
    The difference was amazing. It was like trading in a bicycle for a sports car.
    The G2 had better features, more options for customization and, generally, made me wish I'd converted years ago. There is a learning curve but there's also a learning curve when switching from finger food to using a fork.

One of my favorite features is being able to swipe through all of your home screens in any direction, so you can go from screen 7 straight to screen one and skip screens 6-2. Why can't Apple do something that simple that makes the user experience so much better? Maybe you can ask Siri! Haha.
    Did I mention screen size that's very good?

I'd like to see the percentage of people criticizing Samsung/Android who have actually used the phones, rather than falling for Apple spin.

I've seen the other side and it's pretty darn wonderful.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    sleepy3 wrote: »
    LOL, I love this guy. 

Yeah, a mico SD slot? You mean that I can buy an 8GB model, buy a 32 GB card, load it up with music and movies and slap it in there and save myself the ridiculous price of buying a higher storage phone? Who would do that?

No, he means the micro-SD slot that takes up space in your phone, causing the handset manufacturer to use a smaller battery so your phone dies in the middle of the day. And then the slot and/or card goes bad and you lose all of your data - and possibly have to have the phone serviced.

There is a trade-off. Apple elected not to include the complexity, cost, and failure mode of a micro-SD slot. Some phones chose to include it. Choose what is more important to you instead of whining about a phone that made a different choice than you did.

Once again, I have to wonder what mental illness would make someone who hates Apple products and who proudly refuses to use Apple products spend so much time here. Must be narcissistic personality disorder.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No, he means the micro-SD slot that takes up space in your phone, causing the handset manufacturer to use a smaller battery so your phone dies in the middle of the day. And then the slot and/or card goes bad and you lose all of your data - and possibly have to have the phone serviced.

There is a trade-off. Apple elected not to include the complexity, cost, and failure mode of a micro-SD slot. Some phones chose to include it. Choose what is more important to you instead of whining about a phone that made a different choice than you did.

Once again, I have to wonder what mental illness would make someone who hates Apple products and who proudly refuses to use Apple products spend so much time here. Must be narcissistic personality disorder.

Good Point, like the razr maxxx with its sd card and 8.9 mm thickness. All they could fit in there when they were done was FREAKING 3300 mAh Battery!! 

Now i don't know the stats, but of the 15 or so sd cards that i know of in use between me and my friends, none of have failed and they are on average 6 years old. First used back when we BB's were the it phone in 2007.

I have never heard of this sd card failure scenario. However, I have heard of the phone being destroyed and you lose your data on your phone, however your sd card is still functional protecting the data you had on it scenario. That has happened three times already that i know of. If you have data for how many times phones fail from bugs, being dropped, rolled over by cars, dropped in toilets, etc vs how many times a micro sd card fails, i'll love to read it. 

So yeah, compromises. You can make people pay 21 bucks for a 32 GB card, or pay 100 bucks for 8GB f extra memory. Compromises.....

EDIT: By the way, ipod nano, AND iphone 4 owner. 

Among the rest of my collection of BB bold, GS2, apple TV, PS3, home-made PC etc. I like tech, so i have LOTS of gadgets

• Reply 29 of 91
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

More importantly, the entire world now knows that Samsung and Motorola and Android are incapable of innovation and have to copy Apple.

The entire world? Outside of forums like this nobody cares. Most people don't give a shit. They just buy the phone they like the most regardless. Samsung already sold 10 million of the S3 on pre-order.

• Reply 30 of 91
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Good Point, like the razr maxxx with its sd card and 8.9 mm thickness. All they could fit in there when they were done was FREAKING 3300 mAh Battery!! 

Now i don't know the stats, but of the 15 or so sd cards that i know of in use between me and my friends, none of have failed and they are on average 6 years old. First used back when we BB's were the it phone in 2007.

I have never heard of this sd card failure scenario. However, I have heard of the phone being destroyed and you lose your data on your phone, however your sd card is still functional protecting the data you had on it scenario. That has happened three times already that i know of. If you have data for how many times phones fail from bugs, being dropped, rolled over by cars, dropped in toilets, etc vs how many times a micro sd card fails, i'll love to read it. 

So yeah, compromises. You can make people pay 21 bucks for a 32 GB card, or pay 100 bucks for 8GB f extra memory. Compromises.....

EDIT: By the way, ipod nano, AND iphone 4 owner. 

Among the rest of my collection of BB bold, GS2, apple TV, PS3, home-made PC etc. I like tech, so i have LOTS of gadgets

Some Apple users just don't get it... ;)

No, really. I think too many people here simply refuse to check what else is out there, if for no other reason, then to be informed. I am PC user and PS3 gamer, still I did my homework when I was buying smartphone back in 2009 and iPhone 3Gs was the best choice for my needs. It served me well enough; it still does. But I'm still doing my homework, and 4s is definitely not the best choice for me right now. Will iPhone 5 change that? I wouldn't mind.

Brand loyalty is fine - it is OK to support brand that worked well for you in the past. But blind brand loyalty doesn't do us a favor. It also gives manufacturers too much space to become lazy.

• Reply 31 of 91

I don't remember a single decisive win for Apple.  

How about one major, major win.

Look at the Galaxy 3. Samsung has apparently decided that making an exact copy of Apple's products isn't such a great idea, after all. If Apple hadn't dragged them into court (and won some significant battles), there's no reason Samsung wouldn't continue with its obvious copies.

The cost of legal battles is peanuts for Apple. Getting the competiton to stop making near-identical copies is HUGE.
    nikon133 wrote: »

Some Apple users just don't get it... ;)

No, really. I think too many people here simply refuse to check what else is out there, if for no other reason, then to be informed. I am PC user and PS3 gamer, still I did my homework when I was buying smartphone back in 2009 and iPhone 3Gs was the best choice for my needs. It served me well enough; it still does. But I'm still doing my homework, and 4s is definitely not the best choice for me right now. Will iPhone 5 change that? I wouldn't mind.

Brand loyalty is fine - it is OK to support brand that worked well for you in the past. But blind brand loyalty doesn't do us a favor. It also gives manufacturers too much space to become lazy.

Actually, you're the one who doesn't get it.

Another 0.1 GHz on my phone or another MP or two in the camera is meaningless to me (and to many iPhone users). Apple users care about getting a refined, well designed, well built product that works together with the rest of the ecosystem. We don't have to worry about the fact that it's impossible to upgrade our 6 month old phone from Android 2.2. We don't have to worry about why the apps don't work well with the phone. We don't have to worry about getting malware from the app store. We don't have to worry about support nightmares when the hardware and software don't work together.

It's not about specs, it's about a system that works well. And nothing comes close to Apple in that regard.
  • Reply 32 of 91

I agree with DarkVader and LizSandford about the iPhones not being the best tech. Removable batteries and memory cards are musts for me. They give a person freedom to not be tracked by removing the battery. I don't need corporations digging into my location data. Having removable memory makes phones much more useful to people who store plenty of music or anything else they like.

Bigger screens do make devices very useful too. Android isn't perfect but iOS isn't either. Android and the others have had features years in advance of Apple. I recall the complaints of iPhone owners about copying and pasting not being available even though it was a simple feature on all other smart phones for years. Notifications were another thing that Apple took their time putting into iOS.

Samsung and other Android phone sellers allow the OWNERS of their products to put any software they want on them without voiding their warranties. This is a real pet peeve of mine regarding Apple. They don't do that with Apple computers. Will they start preventing people from loading software onto Apple computers from sources other than the Mac App Store? It's the same thing yet they would be ridiculed by everybody if they did such a thing.

How many ways can an individual control things with a touch screen? Finger swipes and gestures are just the way they work. It makes sense for uniformities sake for all manufacturers to adopt the same gestures to accomplish the same commands. How many shapes are practical for a pocket sized phone with a touch screen? Rounded edges on a flat rectangle or sharp edges on a flat rectangle are probably the most practical shapes. How much leeway is allowed for different brands of similar devices?

Look at cars. They have four wheels, are made mostly of metal, have doors, windows, and hundreds of other similarities. I don't read about patent infringement amongst automobile manufacturers. Vans are big squarish boxes. Sports cars are lower to the ground, more aerodynamic, and have high horsepower motors. They are similar devices used for the same things yet manufacturers aren't suing one another because the cars look similar.

I like my Mac Book but the iPhone won't be in my pocket just yet.

• Reply 33 of 91

Quote:

Another 0.1 GHz on my phone or another MP or two in the camera is meaningless to me (and to many iPhone users). Apple users care about getting a refined, well designed, well built product that works together with the rest of the ecosystem. We don't have to worry about the fact that it's impossible to upgrade our 6 month old phone from Android 2.2. We don't have to worry about why the apps don't work well with the phone. We don't have to worry about getting malware from the app store. We don't have to worry about support nightmares when the hardware and software don't work together.

It's not about specs, it's about a system that works well. And nothing comes close to Apple in that regard.

Personally I havent any more or less issues with an Android phone over a iPhone. The iPhone is not immune to issues as you would suggest and it just doesn't all work.

Malware lol, yeah ok.

Impossible to upgrade after 6 months? List the phones where this is applicable, maybe there are some unique cases but you are talking out of your arse as usual. 

Support nightmares, list them.

• Reply 34 of 91

Quote:

We don't have to worry about the fact that it's impossible to upgrade our 6 month old phone from Android 2.2. We don't have to worry about why the apps don't work well with the phone. We don't have to worry about getting malware from the app store. We don't have to worry about support nightmares when the hardware and software don't work together.

What about all the people who updated their iPod Touches and iPhones from iOS3 to iOS4 and had their devices lock up or work so slowly that they became useless? There were many people who had huge data losses even though their updates were successful. Apple offered no real help or fix for many of these people. Apple's iOS isn't perfect.

• Reply 35 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

What about all the people who updated their iPod Touches and iPhones from iOS3 to iOS4 and had their devices lock up or work so slowly that they became useless? There were many people who had huge data losses even though their updates were successful. Apple offered no real help or fix for many of these people. Apple's iOS isn't perfect.

Of course it isn't and its just like any other product with good and bad points. Some parts of iOS I really like and some parts I wish Apple would improve on but to carry on the way he does just shows ignorance.

• Reply 36 of 91
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

If Apple hadn't dragged them into court (and won some significant battles), there's no reason Samsung wouldn't continue with its obvious copies.

I'll ask you again, exactly WHAT significant battles are you referring to??? Last time I checked, there was one victory for Apple against Samsung, and that was a limited PI for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Germany for design infringement. That laughably 'significant' battle resulted in Samsung simply moving the Tab's speakers a fraction of an inch; from the side of the tablet to the front.

• Reply 37 of 91
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »
    They don't need a decisive win. They've had a number of smaller wins. More importantly, the entire world now knows that Samsung and Motorola and Android are incapable of innovation and have to copy Apple.
    Furthermore, this one hasn't played out yet. Koh was already overruled by the appeals court on this matter who said that she improperly denied an injunction the first time. I hope she's got a lot better reason this time around or
    she'll simply be overruled again.

Its thanks to much innovation by both Motorola and Samsung that Apple was able to create a phone period.
  • Reply 38 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

I'll ask you again, exactly WHAT significant battles are you referring to??? Last time I checked, there was one victory for Apple against Samsung, and that was a limited PI for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Germany for design infringement. That laughably 'significant' battle resulted in Samsung simply moving the Tab's speakers a fraction of an inch; from the side of the tablet to the front.

He wont have a valid answer for you but you might get a car analogy if you are lucky :)

• Reply 39 of 91
    e_veritas wrote: »

There was also an injunction in Australia. Then there was the injunction against Android phones with the data mining feature. And a couple of wins against Motorola.

In the end, the important thing is what I stated. Apple isn't going to get rich off these law suits. But Samsung has stopped making identical copies of Apple products. That is Apple's main objective.

While you're drooling over which individual court battle Apple won or lost, Apple won the war. At least if the Galaxy SIII is any indication, the competitors have greatly toned down their blatant copying. That was the goal.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    galaxytabgalaxytab Posts: 122member
    jragosta wrote: »

You may call it narcissistic but I'd guess they're here to refute dense posts such as yours.

Samsung managed to put a 2100mah battery in the Galaxy S III AND an SD card slot. It seems in no way did the inclusion of the SD slot affected them getting a substantial battery in the thing.

Secondly your "data loss" post is absurd. If the SD slot goes bad, it would have no impact on the data on the SD card and would be readable in any micro SD reader. If the SD card goes bad then you are able to remove it from the phone and try to recover data from a data recovery specialist.

Flash storage is very resilient and able to withstand quite a bit of abuse. Drop your Galaxy S III in water and you'll most likely be able to recover your data from the card once you have plucked your phone from it's watery midst. Drop an iPhone in water to have it die completely and watch as there is nothing you can do to recover your precious data.

I know some of you will defend Apple's decision to the end but there are advantages as well as disadvantages with what the competition are doing. I will say I've not had a single handset with a broken storage expansion slot ever in the lifetime of smartphone use.

Your experience may differ, be it down to bad luck or simple ineptitude on your part but my experience has been a positive one when it comes to expandable storage.