FCC proposes first cellphone radiation investigation in 15 years

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 103
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This article should have never been posted because the whole thing is motivated by politics. I wish we had better choices, but one thing is clear the current ones have to go. Nothing they do is based on sound science so it is pretty clear where this investigation will go.

Let's put it this way, if there was a real issue here sound evidence would have been found by now. There are just too many people constantly researching this and all they come up with is fuzzy warnings to apparently make people nervous.

And where would that sound evidence come from, if serious studies are never conducted?  The fact is that there are not many people at all who are "constantly researching this".  Until recently, cell phone use wasn't sufficiently widespread to study.  Any correllation there is would likely be tiny, and the cancer would develop only after many years of exposure.  Thus the study population must be large and monitored for a duration of years if not decades, a length of time longer than cell phones have been in use by the majority of people.  Very few researchers besides the FCC have the resources to conduct such a study.  The only studies of this scale conducted so far have been inconclusive, as in, they cannot prove that there isn't a correllation between cell phone use and cancer.

To those saying someone would have found the correllation by now, consider how long it took to find the strong correllation between tobacco smoking and cancer and heart disease.  That correllation would have been difficult to prove in the first decade of heavy smoking as well.  

Lest any troglodytes jump on me for saying "teh cell phones causes cancer!", no, I'm saying further study is warranted.  But personally I'll not be strapping any radiation devices to my head, or heaven forbid, walking around with a radiation emitter in my pocket next to my balls.  

• Reply 102 of 103

Phone radiation can have a big effect in time. People should be informed on Radiation Safety. Another tip is not to use your mobile phones when the battery is low, causes more radiation. I also saw this site once that talks about Radiation Safety - http://www.ameriphysics.com/ . A good site.