Microsoft expected to announce Windows Phone revamp on Wednesday

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35

No wonder these phones have 4.5 inch monster screens. Nearly a quarter of my usable screen space is taken up by the word:

apps

I mean, on the off chance that I don't know what the hell I'm looking at.

Better safe than sorry, right?

• Reply 22 of 35
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That looks very much like a Galaxy Nexus. Are they going with Samsung instead of Nokia?

The Microsoft-Nokia deal does not stop other licensees adopting Win Ph

• Reply 23 of 35
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Secrecy over a phone that nobody wants?

• Reply 24 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Secrecy over a phone that nobody wants?

Not a phone - a new phone OS

• Reply 25 of 35
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

If they add a kickstand, I'll sell my iPhone.

If they add a physical keyboard, I'll sell my iPad.

If they add a stylus, I'll sell my MBA and exit the Apple camp totally!

Oh wait.

No, I won't.

• Reply 26 of 35
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member
    A developers conference in San Francisco. My god, can't MIcro-slouch do ANYTHING without copying Apple?
  • Reply 27 of 35

delete please

• Reply 28 of 35

I can see Microsoft having at least moderate success with WP8. WP8 will install on all WP7 phones and, apparently, WP7's market share as of Q2 2012 is now 3 or 4% - double (or more, depending) than the 1.5% they held in Q1 - it's speculated that it has already overtaken blackberry in the USA. Its rising surprisingly fast and I think Nokia is to thank for it: Lumia handsets keep going out of stock in the UK they're in such demand, especially the white and cyan (why I ended up getting a black one).

I love Apple (hence why I'm here) but some good competition from something more competent than Android would really spice up Apple's game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No wonder these phones have 4.5 inch monster screens. Nearly a quarter of my usable screen space is taken up by the word:

apps

I mean, on the off chance that I don't know what the hell I'm looking at.

Better safe than sorry, right?

It all scales up and down very nicely. Not all apps have it and it doesn't take up that much space where space is essential. The settings, for example, has "system" and "applications" at the top of the screen and it only takes up about 1/13th of total screen real estate. It actually takes up less space than the title bar in iOS. The media player, however, does have "music+videos" written over the top 1/5th of the screen. But once you select music, video, podcast (etc.) it goes away and is replaced with the 1/13th size text for albums, artists, playlist and so forth. The big titles are reserved for title screens (obviously). I've yet to see text that big in a the main body of an application.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I have yet to see a real, live person using a Windows phone in the wild. I'm sure they exist, just haven't ran into one yet. 

I've seen two Nokia users in person (one blue, one pink - 900 and 800 respectively). If you count me (black 900) and my cousin (HTC Titan), that's four.

Saying "I haven't seen one in the wild" is a bad way to decide on the overall popularity of a handset, though. Android is supposed to be the most popular OS with the Samsung Galaxy range being the most popular android handsets. I've seen about 3 androids in the wild in the past month, five if you include my brother and his wife. I've actually seen more blackberries in the wild than Android and WP! iPhones are just another story best described with "One mother of a big number".

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That looks very much like a Galaxy Nexus. Are they going with Samsung instead of Nokia?

Samsung, HTC and Nokia are all making WinPhone handsets. Though, it does seem odd how they are using a Sammy to advertise this event rather than a Nokia, given how strong their partnership is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) This is odd. I would have done one event to kickoff the developer's summit that covered all the upcoming HW and SW.

2) So all those developers and vendors that supported WinPh7, based on WinCE, will be getting the shaft as MS moves to WinPh8, based on WinNT, or are they compensating them in some way to retain their support?

It would have made a lot more sense if they introduced the hardware and software together, rather than a big hush hush event at the last minute that seemed rather rushed and out of place.

As I'm sure someone has already pointed out, WP7 apps are made using a framework; the framework will be part of Windows Phone 8 so the only thing the programmer(s) will have to do (if Microsoft have redone the framework correctly) is recompile with the "Windows Phone 8" button checked and go make a cup of tea whilst their computer chugs away in the background.

• Reply 29 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I have yet to see a real, live person using a Windows phone in the wild. I'm sure they exist, just haven't ran into one yet. 

I have a Windows Phone, a Samsung Focus S, does that bother you?

• Reply 30 of 35
    mdcraggmdcragg Posts: 73member

Haha!  "...wave of momentum..."

It's more like a "...barely perceptible Surface ripple..."

• Reply 31 of 35

Hmmm, this is quite funny http://bit.ly/LcHuA6

Enjoy ;-)

• Reply 32 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    zarniw0op wrote: »
    Enjoy ;-)

Why would anyone enjoy that? Note that I didn't bother to listen past the first line of dialogue because it's obviously a mocking "commentary".
  • Reply 33 of 35
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarniw0Op View Post

Hmmm, this is quite funny http://bit.ly/LcHuA6

Enjoy ;-)

If that impresses you, then you are going to LOVE this:

(Yeah, we worked out you were five from your last post)

• Reply 34 of 35

I see your http://www.youtube.com/user/SockeyeMedia?v=aGpnYl4OpXk  (very poingient and should be applied to almost all replies in this thread) and raise you http://bit.ly/rtT4Gn

Enjoy ;-)

• Reply 35 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

If that impresses you, then you are going to LOVE this:

(Yeah, we worked out you were five from your last post)

Very poignient, and should be applied to almost all responces to this thread. Anyway, I see your http://www.youtube.com/user/SockeyeMedia?v=aGpnYl4OpXk and raise you http://bit.ly/rtT4Gn

Enjoy