Review roundup: Samsung Galaxy S III called a strong iPhone competitor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

"But it requires that all handset owners turn on a special feature in settings, then tap a series of on-screen buttons to utilize the feature."

Wow if this is now to complicated for the average user we in big trouble as a society.

• Reply 22 of 57
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

The only 'strong competitor' for the iPhone is an iPad with Skype.

Hopefully Apple is not so complacent. The competition is catching up fast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i still think apple needs to do two different size phones - pack the existing 3.5" screen into a smaller case and add a big boy to compete w/ the 4.8" screen of this baby.

Totally agree. We don't need a multitude of iPhones like they have with Android - like you say 2 sizes would pretty much cover all the bases.

• Reply 23 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The best for stock battery use on most common tasks is the Razr Maxx. No one else is even close for now. Of course they have one ginormous battery, tho the device profile wouldn't indicate that.

The One X and Galaxy S III aren't that far off.

• Reply 24 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This alone encapsulates all the problems with Android for the regular joe-user.  Tech-saavy folks with lots of time to burn fiddling with inanimate objects will obviously be attracted to this "feature" of Android to resolve their quick 5-minute fixes.  Call it "user-choice" and "user-control", for most it's a waste of time.  

Actually that is the strength - if the regular joe does not have the capacity or time to deal with it that is not a reason for the feature to be excluded - those that can and willing will use it. If "Joe" wants to just make calls, text and go online - they can. if the tech savy wants to dig in and learn every feature - they can. The idea that everything need to be Stupid proof is nonsense.

• Reply 25 of 57
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

"But it requires that all handset owners turn on a special feature in settings, then tap a series of on-screen buttons to utilize the feature."

Wow if this is now to complicated for the average user we in big trouble as a society.

The idea is that features like that are the kind you like to be able to use like making a call -- pick the contact (or favorite) and tap - voila. The feature Walt was talking about was supposed to be for sharing pix in "realtime" --- now if both users have to go to settings and then both users have to tap buttons on their phones to take advantage of this it hardly seems worth it. I got the feeling it was considerably more difficult to use than FaceTime which just works with one extra tap.

• Reply 26 of 57
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    The best for stock battery use on most common tasks is the Razr Maxx. No one else is even close for now. Of course they have one ginormous battery, tho the device profile wouldn't indicate that.

You got to be kidding me. Look at the battery capacity.
  • Reply 27 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

The idea is that features like that are the kind you like to be able to use like making a call -- pick the contact (or favorite) and tap - voila. The feature Walt was talking about was supposed to be for sharing pix in "realtime" --- now if both users have to go to settings and then both users have to tap buttons on their phones to take advantage of this it hardly seems worth it. I got the feeling it was considerably more difficult to use than FaceTime which just works with one extra tap.

But not everything can be a one tap feature - not everything done on an ipad, iphone, or OSX are a one tap event yet we consider the outcome as a benefit so the extra effort is justified. 

• Reply 28 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

I know. Gigantic for a stock battery is an understatement.

• Reply 29 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

From this video I think the sharing Mossberg is talking about is just a one-time set-up (swipe to turn off-on), and not something that has to be done every time you want to use it.

http://youtube.ng/watch?v=Vu4MDPd2GYI&feature=plcp

• Reply 30 of 57
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

You are being disingenuous - as is Mossberg.  By your reasoning, Bluetooth will never catch on or be useful because users will have to turn it on, pair devices and then select files to transfer or whatever.

• Reply 31 of 57
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

From this video I think the sharing Mossberg is talking about is just a one-time set-up (swipe to turn off-on), and not something that has to be done every time you want to use it.

http://youtube.ng/watch?v=Vu4MDPd2GYI&feature=plcp

Some of those features are kind of slick--especially the one where you can call somebody if you're looking at their contact info simply by holding the phone to your ear.

Dummy that I am, I would probably never remember to use it, though.

• Reply 32 of 57
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    One place where Samsung's Galaxy phones are smoking Apple is in the phone's SAR rating. Apple's phones have consistently been in the 1.1 - 1.17 watts per kg range. Samsung's Galaxy phones are typically at about 0.3. The FCC allows a maximum of 1.6 watts/kg

It's disappointing that Apple doesn't lead in this regard either, especially considering the potential links to brain cancer and the cause of death of their founder.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    skottichanskottichan Posts: 193member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

Some of those features are kind of slick--especially the one where you can call somebody if you're looking at their contact info simply by holding the phone to your ear.

Dummy that I am, I would probably never remember to use it, though.

I have a minimum of two (home/mobile) phone numbers stored for 90% of my contacts, and up to five for some. Which does it decide to call? Even if there's a "default" option, how would it know I want to call my boss's cell to let her know she forgot her purse at work instead of calling the work number I call when I need to let her know I'm running late? Et cetera. If you can't open up the contact card and tap on the number you want to call? You're probably not smart enough to program the information into the contact card to begin with, and so this feature would be worthless to you anyways.

• Reply 34 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

I have a minimum of two (home/mobile) phone numbers stored for 90% of my contacts, and up to five for some. Which does it decide to call? Even if there's a "default" option, how would it know I want to call my boss's cell to let her know she forgot her purse at work instead of calling the work number I call when I need to let her know I'm running late? Et cetera. If you can't open up the contact card and tap on the number you want to call? You're probably not smart enough to program the information into the contact card to begin with, and so this feature would be worthless to you anyways.

It would use your default. Most phones allow you to select a default number for a contact. If you want to call a different number for the contact, you'd press the button for that one and not use gesture to make the call.

It seems silly to remove a feature or even discount the usefulness of a feature just because it may not be useful in 100% of the use cases.

• Reply 35 of 57
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This alone encapsulates all the problems with Android for the regular joe-user.  Tech-saavy folks with lots of time to burn fiddling with inanimate objects will obviously be attracted to this "feature" of Android to resolve their quick 5-minute fixes.  Call it "user-choice" and "user-control", for most it's a waste of time.  

I think you have it completely backwards.

There is no doubt in my mind that I miss some features of my Android, but I also have no doubt my iPhone is WAY more usable than my Android.  So I agree with the assumption that complexity and lots of features go hand in hand.

Where I think you're wrong is about "regular joe-user" being bothered by Android features or complexity.  I think a “regular-user” will only use their phone to post on Facebook, check email, and occasionally play a casual game.  Android is completely sufficient for doing those things and most Android device work great when doing so. But due to the fragmentation of Android, it is when you start to installing lots of apps and experimenting with your phone settings when Android starts to get bogged down and sluggish. Usually, it will be fine at first, but performance degrades and eventually you may need to wipe to get performance back to par.

So to me it is the power user that is most bothered by Android.  These are the people that constantly use of their device throughout the day and uses various apps to organize their life.  Those people find Android tedious because it does not stand up well to that kind of usage in either performance or battery-life.  For me and 2 other people I know, that was the case.  We all got frustrated with our Android devices and one by one switched to iPhone.  And we're all happier from doing so.

• Reply 36 of 57
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    icibaqu wrote: »
    One place where Samsung's Galaxy phones are smoking Apple is in the phone's SAR rating. Apple's phones have consistently been in the 1.1 - 1.17 watts per kg range. Samsung's Galaxy phones are typically at about 0.3. The FCC allows a maximum of 1.6 watts/kg
    It's disappointing that Apple doesn't lead in this regard either, especially considering the potential links to brain cancer and the cause of death of their founder.

First of all, Jobs had pancreatic cancer not brain cancer. Also, I just the SAR Rating for the Galaxy S III and it's 1.49 W/kg to the body:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-4238.php

Don't spread the FUD here - you'll get called on it.
  • Reply 37 of 57

In my line of work I come into contact with all sorts of phones from iPhones to Android (I have an Android for work) to Windows Mobile (haven't really seen a lot of Windows Phone 7 devices yet though).

iPhone is streaks ahead of everyone in terms of simplicity. Android is at the bottom of the list.

My first contact with Android came when I was in parliament and the co-leader for the Green's asked me to put her phone onto the Telecom network. It took me half an hour to find the correct setting because it was labeled something that made no sense. That was a Galaxy S.

A kid at polytech that my wife works at had a Galaxy S III and he said it is the hardest phone to use he's ever had. Samsung doesn't know what its target audience is and let's face it most people buying these phones in New Zealand are really after and iPhone without paying the price... only the price they do pay just in a different way.

Windows Mobile is far more simpler than Android but it is also kludgy and feels wrong to use.

Sure you can claim an iPhone needs a larger screen but people will end up hating them. Does no one look to the past anymore? We had 5" phones before with Palm and no one really liked them. I guess having a touch screen will make things different but I'm not so sure. The resolution will not be better than the current iPhones in fact it will be worse. There won't be any real selling point to a larger iPhone. "It's bigger" isn't a very good marketing line is it?

• Reply 38 of 57

i think this phone is ugly.

and it runs 'hot'? who the hell wants that? i think the galaxy nexus looks better and they should have just kept its form factor, lack of physical buttons, and just updated the specs and display. i don't know why these companies can't understand the notion of trying to perfect something rather than just keep slinging sh*t out there hoping it will stick.

plus, the pics i have seen of the iphone 5, if they are real, will just put more distance between android sets. i like the design of it.

• Reply 39 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i think this phone is ugly.

and it runs 'hot'? who the hell wants that? i think the galaxy nexus looks better and they should have just kept its form factor, lack of physical buttons, and just updated the specs and display. i don't know why these companies can't understand the notion of trying to perfect something rather than just keep slinging sh*t out there hoping it will stick.

plus, the pics i have seen of the iphone 5, if they are real, will just put more distance between android sets. i like the design of it.

My iPhone 4 runs hot. When I use it to call somebody or use 3G data, it gets very warm. My son's iPhone 4S gets even warmer.

Based on the majority of the reviews for the S III, it's not just more sh*t, it's a worthy phone. Just because you don't see the value in it, doesn't mean there aren't a host of others that do.

As for me, I'm waiting for the next iPhone. I was tempted by the S III and it's enormous screen, but I'm more excited to see what new features the new iPhone will have.

• Reply 40 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I've heard many good things about this phone. I've not had a chance to use it yet myself, but truth be told there are aspects of Android that are nice. Maps, for example. Looking forward to iOS 6 and Apple's Maps.