iCloud outage prevents some iMessages from being delivered [u]

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014
Apple's iCloud service experienced an outage on Wednesday that affected some services, including the delivery of iMessages.

Users began contacting AppleInsider Wednesday afternoon to say that some of their iCloud accounts were having issues. Among the services affected were the iCloud website, including mail, as well as iMessages.

Apple's own system status website for iCloud notes that "some" users are affected by the outage, which began at 11:42 Pacific. The site promised that "normal service will be restored ASAP."

Other reports on Wednesday indicated that the iTunes Store also experienced some downtime, while some developers were unable to access Apple's developer portals for iOS and OS X.

The free iCloud service and its paid predecessor, MobileMe, have a history of outages that have affected users over the years. Apple gave no indication just how many users were impacted by Wednesday's particular outage.

Update: All iCloud services have been restored as of 1 p.m. PST according to Apple's iCloud Status Page.

iCloud Status
iCloud Status restored. | Source: Apple

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    This be true - I was having all kinds of problems with the iTunes store but it seems to be fixed as of now.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

Oh well... They are still good for a three or four nines SLA. 

Much better than BlackBerry.

Availability %

Downtime per year

Downtime per month*

Downtime per week

90% ("one nine")

36.5 days

72 hours

16.8 hours

95%

18.25 days

36 hours

8.4 hours

97%

10.96 days

21.6 hours

5.04 hours

98%

7.30 days

14.4 hours

3.36 hours

99% ("two nines")

3.65 days

7.20 hours

1.68 hours

99.5%

1.83 days

3.60 hours

50.4 minutes

99.8%

17.52 hours

86.23 minutes

20.16 minutes

99.9% ("three nines")

8.76 hours

43.2 minutes

10.1 minutes

99.95%

4.38 hours

21.56 minutes

5.04 minutes

99.99% ("four nines")

52.56 minutes

4.32 minutes

1.01 minutes

99.999% ("five nines")

5.26 minutes

25.9 seconds

6.05 seconds

99.9999% ("six nines")

31.5 seconds

2.59 seconds

0.605 seconds

99.99999% ("seven nines")

3.15 seconds

0.259 seconds

0.0605 seconds

• Reply 3 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

These things reinforce my belief that "the cloud" is a backup, not to be used to support primary functions in most computing activity.

• Reply 4 of 17
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

iwork didn't work either, dropbox did

• Reply 5 of 17
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Only one data center = single point of failure.

• Reply 6 of 17
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    [quote]Oh well... They are still good for a three or four nines SLA. Much better than BlackBerry.[/quote]

If Apple had a 3 day outage like Blackberry did, try to imagine the tech media shit-storm that would ensue.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Not good enough. I demand 100.01% uptime from iCloud, otherwise I demand a refund and tens of millions of dollars in damages.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    It's like MobileMe all over again!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

In case some readers aren't familiar with how to check service status if they suspect there's an outage.

http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/systemstatus/

• Reply 10 of 17
    Yeah and when it came back up iCloud removed all of the bookmarks I synced yesterday. Now I have to do them all over again.
  • Reply 11 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy View Post

Yeah and when it came back up iCloud removed all of the bookmarks I synced yesterday. Now I have to do them all over again.

Now we know what blew the iCloud off line. 

• Reply 12 of 17
    ray bartray bart Posts: 91member
    Ah where are the apple fans now?! Remember apple products are also not guaranteed to always work
  • Reply 13 of 17
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bart View Post

Ah where are the apple fans now?! Remember apple products are also not guaranteed to always work

image TekStud - I knew it. I believe that the data centre runs non-Apple hardware.

• Reply 14 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    ray bart wrote: »

So why would you want Apple to buy Facebook? Shouldn't Facebook be working all the time?

:broken_rolleyes_emoticon.gif:
  • Reply 15 of 17

Initially I was having all kinds of problems with the iTunes store but it seems to be fixed as of now. Thanks.

• Reply 16 of 17

If the company's iCloud helps persuade the masses to embrace cloud-based services, that could help reverse more than a decade of sliding music sales

• Reply 17 of 17

If the company's iCloud helps persuade the masses to embrace cloud-based services, that could help reverse more than a decade of sliding music sales