Apple retail workers get significant pay bumps up to 25% of current wages

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's good news. I'm in favor of raises. Apple's retail experience is still the best, and they should strive to keep high quality people.

Not from my experience...waiting 45 mins after my appointment time to get a iPad replacement which actually only took 5 mins. 

• Reply 22 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="Sensi" url="/t/150827/apple-retail-workers-get-significant-pay-bumps-up-to-25-of-current-wages#post_2133320"]Seriously, one only have to see the late year to see how Apple "does not respond to public pressure": from foxconn and others Apple subtractors work policies, now more than ever heavily audited after some press reports, Greenpeace and Apple's coal powered data centers, since that campaign they are turning 100% green… A bit delusional to claim that they don't, nope?[/QUOTE]

Except none of those actions were responses, but I wouldn't expect anyone who didn't pay attention to Apple until they read those articles to know that.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    jragosta wrote: »
    If you can't live on $18,000 per year, I'd suggest getting an education and/or experience that allows you to earn more. Apple (or any other employer, for that matter) doesn't owe you any specific lifestyle. It's up to you to create value in your own career.
    Apple's job is to meet legal requirements - and then to offer a wage sufficient to attract the people they need. They do that. The fact that they're able to get plenty of good people for what they're paying is pretty strong evidence that the wage is not unreasonably low.
    That said, if the story is true, it is an indication that Apple is not interested in getting just 'good' employees, but prefers to pay well above market rates in order to get the cream of the crop. That's certainly a reasonable decision, but don't act like it's obligatory.

I worked at GAP in 1999, before the landmark case that no longer required workers to buy uniforms from their employers. Back then, we had to buy the clothing, or wear look a likes with no logos, so, you still had to buy your own uniforms. What if all your clothes have logos? You then have to buy 4 to 5 new outfits just to make minimum wage. No thank you.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    jragosta wrote: »
    If you can't live on $18,000 per year, I'd suggest getting an education and/or experience that allows you to earn more. Apple (or any other employer, for that matter) doesn't owe you any specific lifestyle. It's up to you to create value in your own career.
    Apple's job is to meet legal requirements - and then to offer a wage sufficient to attract the people they need. They do that. The fact that they're able to get plenty of good people for what they're paying is pretty strong evidence that the wage is not unreasonably low.
    That said, if the story is true, it is an indication that Apple is not interested in getting just 'good' employees, but prefers to pay well above market rates in order to get the cream of the crop. That's certainly a reasonable decision, but don't act like it's obligatory.

Paying people a real living wage is not only beneficial to the worker, it is beneficial to society. How many workers making $18,000 a year collect food stamps, or Medicaid, or rental subsidies because they do not earn enough to care for themselves? Again, this is corporate America privatizing gains and socializing losses. We end up picking the slack that corporations don't contribute. They then pocket the profits that they would have had to pay their workers under a living wage. Their full time workers can't even afford to go on vacation.
    I am sick of this mentality of "it's your fault if you don't earn enough" Really? So it is ok to pay your employees 1/1000th of what you make? If it weren't for the employees, these corporations would be nothing. How about showing a little more respect. I, myself have a very high paying job and a college education. But I also have a soul.
  • Reply 25 of 25

That's certainly a reasonable decision, but don't act like it's obligatory.

Recently, using the improvement from the fiber optical industry CFP ethernet optical transceiver modules with fiber media converters,fiber network card,fiber optic patch cords have been broadly used.

So, you still had to buy your own uniforms. What if all your clothes have logos? You then have to buy 4 to 5 new outfits just to make minimum wage. No thank you.