Apple initiates employee hardware discount program

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Once every 3 years and that negates the computer "cash" for that 3 years. As opposed to a constant 50% off (30% if it was a mark down) on my clothes and all gift clothes I buy all the time. Or 30% off my books even special orders all the time. etc. 

As for the whole Mac Pro thing. Yeah maybe they should give all employees a Mac Pro every couple of years. Or how about an iMac and an iPad. Or a laptop and an iPad. or whatever comes out to the same at cost as the base level Mac Pro. Sometimes 'we can afford it' should be why they do something. After all why should any company make a fortune on their goods and pull stunts like not give sick time to part timers (or even health insurance which Apple didn't until a year or two ago). When they released the iPhone a free one was given to every employee that had been there for a year. That didn't break the bank and it was a much smaller bank then. 

Sure Apple is not going to do something like that free iPhone ever again but don't act like this pittance of a 'bonus' is really all that awesome, because it isn't. 

That's a ridiculous comparison. Gap gives you 50% off all the time. Apple gives you 25% off routinely and is currently offering what could amount to 75% off. The fact that you can't use it every day doesn't mean that it's not a great deal.

For that matter, are you buying $500 worth of clothes every week?
  • Reply 22 of 32
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member

Now we need Apple to implement some real discounts for educators.  Teachers and professors need a bigger discount too...

• Reply 23 of 32
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's a ridiculous comparison. Gap gives you 50% off all the time. Apple gives you 25% off routinely and is currently offering what could amount to 75% off. The fact that you can't use it every day doesn't mean that it's not a great deal.

For that matter, are you buying $500 worth of clothes every week?

It's a decent discout but in total dollars a lot of retailers are giving more.  My son worked part time at a sporting good store.  I think he spent every cent he made at the store but at 40% off he probalby "saved" at least $5,000 a year.

• Reply 24 of 32

Blah, Blah F'N Blah!! Apple doesn't have to do a thing if they don't want to go. If you don't like working there, go work somewhere else. Damn world these days people wanting something for nothing!! Btw, what's with all the Microsoft fanboys doing here whining lately? THIS IS AN APPLE WEBSITE NUMB NUTS!!

• Reply 25 of 32
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tjwal wrote: »
    It's a decent discout but in total dollars a lot of retailers are giving more.  My son worked part time at a sporting good store.  I think he spent every cent he made at the store but at 40% off he probalby "saved" at least $5,000 a year.

And Apple's offering 75% or more off in the examples above. So how do you conclude that Gap, etc offers a better employee discount?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Apple ought to buy every employee a new car every year.  They certainly can afford it.  I mean, really, they make a shit-ton of money, why not new cars?  Hell, the convenience store I used to work for used to fly everyone down to Rio twice a year and paid for our hookers, so Apple looks cheap in comparison.  Apple.  Pffft.

• Reply 27 of 32

Time to grow out a handlebar mustache and buy some skinny jeans so I can get a job at an Apple Store.

• Reply 28 of 32
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

In my opinion, Apple should be nearly giving away its products to their employees. I mean, they research, develop and sell the products! How else can you be a cheerleader if you have to pay hand over fist for the product?

Actually, many folks -- particularly in the engineering and corporate/divisional marketing groups -- get free products. Of course, it is company property, the employee must return these to Apple when the company asks for them back. They are probably written out as engineering samples or beta units.

This purchase program is for outright ownership. If they buy through this program, they can keep the devices even if they leave the company. Note that this is an extension of their existing employee purchase program.

Apple has been handing out engineering samples to many employees for years. This new program will benefit those in admin, support, or retail sales roles who typically don't get comped sample equipment.

• Reply 29 of 32
    massconn72massconn72 Posts: 162member

Damn, I wish my son still worked for Apple....

• Reply 30 of 32
    zarenzaren Posts: 49member

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Never when I was working retail did I have a discount as good as this. Doing the math, a 64GB WiFi+cellular? $372. Not bad if you ask me, and nearly free, as I am sure it is below cost. 16 GB WiFi only (new iPad)? $124. The iPad 2? $49!

$124?!? Anyody know an Apple employee that doesn't plan on using their discount? I'm in the market for an iPad...

• Reply 31 of 32
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    addabox wrote: »
    Apple ought to buy every employee a new car every year.  They certainly can afford it.  I mean, really, they make a shit-ton of money, why not new cars?  Hell, the convenience store I used to work for used to fly everyone down to Rio twice a year and paid for our hookers, so Apple looks cheap in comparison.  Apple.  Pffft.

We're the hookers the Tsa agents groping you or actual honest to goodness hookers? With a few beers it's sometimes hard to tell...
  • Reply 32 of 32
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's a ridiculous comparison. Gap gives you 50% off all the time. Apple gives you 25% off routinely

No, Apple gives them 25% off one computer, one iPad etc a year. Not every one of them they buy. And this discount is either $500 or $250 and if you use it you don't get to do it again for 3 years at either amount. It sounds really awesome but it's not. Especially compared to them making millions of dollars every month. They can certainly afford to give employees both cash amounts especially with the once every 3 years in there. Just like they can afford to give their part time workers paid sick leave so they aren't hacking and sneezing while they are selling me stuff. Companies that make far far less than Apple over it as well as having offered part time health insurance several years before Apple got around to it.