Rumor: First Microsoft Surface tablet units to be Wi-Fi only

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Also don't forget the surface tablets have a usb port, so you can just plug in a 3g dongle (which most companies use anyway for their current laptops). Companies who would consider the surface as a laptop replacement (as we would be), are only looking at the pro edition, so driver support is a non-issue. As these tablets are in fact compatible with everything current laptops are compatible with (domain login, group policy, largest "app store" in the world ;)

Does the surface have an optical drive? How would you install currently available programs on it? Oh, so they'll need an external optical drive? so bascially the Surface is like a laptop with all the dongles attached to it. sounds like a good plan. /s

• Reply 42 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Does the surface have an optical drive? How would you install currently available programs on it? Oh, so they'll need an external optical drive? so bascially the Surface is like a laptop with all the dongles attached to it. sounds like a good plan. /s

I personally wouldn't install a dongle, I would just tether when I need it.  Most iPad users also agree, as WiFi is the biggest selling version.

As for software.  You can downloand and install.  Most programs including Adobe software are available to download.  In addition the Windows Store will have software, both Metro and traditional.  In the rare case you have software on a CD/DVD you could use an external drive.  Just like the MacBook Air.  You can also prepare and legally create backups of your CDs unto a USB Flash or HDD Drive.  Then install that way.

• Reply 43 of 52
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member

Just an FYI, you're very passive-aggressive.

Lol, cute.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    jragosta wrote: »
    It also wouldn't be very good as a space shuttle, scalpel, or cultivator.
    Who in the world would ever try to compare it to a workstation? That makes about as much sense.

I think you are using a different definition than I am.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I wonder how much M$ paid for this review. :lol: I say that b/c the review sounds like a M$ press release and Tech Radar appears to be the only one who got extensive time with this tablet. I'm always suspicious when one person gets an exclusive.  I have yet to come across one where the review was anything but positive. They claim the device works just fine sitting on your lap typing on the soft keyboard but from the picture it looks quite awkward/annoying.  And honestly while I like my bright colored smart cover (as a fashion accessory) I don't know that I'd much care for a keyboard of the same color, especially if I'd be typing on it for any length of time.  I think it would give me a headache.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/microsoft-surface-tablet-1085839/review

• Reply 46 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I wonder how much M$ paid for this review. :lol: I say that b/c the review sounds like a M$ press release and Tech Radar appears to be the only one who got extensive time with this tablet. I'm always suspicious when one person gets an exclusive.  I have yet to come across one where the review was anything but positive. They claim the device works just fine sitting on your lap typing on the soft keyboard but from the picture it looks quite awkward/annoying.  And honestly while I like my bright colored smart cover (as a fashion accessory) I don't know that I'd much care for a keyboard of the same color, especially if I'd be typing on it for any length of time.  I think it would give me a headache.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/microsoft-surface-tablet-1085839/review

Wow, you guys are something else.  Complaining about keyboard colours when you can easily get black to match the device or white/grey.   We will find out soon enough if it works on laps, but it does appear it does.  The anti fanbois were screaming about no profile mode, when of course anyone folllowing W8 knew it existed and this review shows it.  Its obvious from the pictures (not seen anywhere else) that they have had extra time with the tablet.

The Verge, which was really hard on the Lumia 900, was also positve about the Surface.  They didn't have the same hands on, but said the Smart Cover was very innovative and did solve a tablet issue.

• Reply 47 of 52

Oh wait, you are trying to compete with Apple?  I thought you were just giving them something to crush.

• Reply 48 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

I think you are using a different definition than I am.

@jragosta, don't bother arguing with this guy.  Anyone who puts netbook and workstation in the same sentence, and also doesn't bother defining his terms (as above) despite saying they're different, ends up giving his arguments such wide berth that they become pointless.

• Reply 49 of 52

@jragosta, don't bother arguing with this guy.  Anyone who puts netbook and workstation in the same sentence, and also doesn't bother defining his terms (as above) despite saying they're different, ends up giving his arguments such wide berth that they become pointless.

I defined my terms in post 26 when I realized others used them differently than I. Seems like you are only reading selectively, and adding in some ad hominems. Anyone who does that apparently ran out of arguments. If more come to you though, please present them so that we can push the conversation forward.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    sactoman01 wrote: »
    Before you all say this is a bad idea, consider that the majority of iPads sold out there are Wi-Fi only. Both AT&T and Verizon offer 4G data connectivity devices that work through the USB port, so if you still insist on cellular data connectivity, you just connect such a device to the Surface's USB port.

Are you sur about this? I googled it and what I saw is the fast majority of sessions are wifi. I couldn't find a breakdown of wifi only iPads vs the models with built in cellular. I will only. Buy the cellular model, yet 90% of my own sessions are wifi. If this is the stat used, this is an awful way to calculate the sales for each model.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wow, you guys are something else.  Complaining about keyboard colours when you can easily get black to match the device or white/grey.   We will find out soon enough if it works on laps, but it does appear it does.  The anti fanbois were screaming about no profile mode, when of course anyone folllowing W8 knew it existed and this review shows it.  Its obvious from the pictures (not seen anywhere else) that they have had extra time with the tablet.

The Verge, which was really hard on the Lumia 900, was also positve about the Surface.  They didn't have the same hands on, but said the Smart Cover was very innovative and did solve a tablet issue.
    So the Verge never got to use the cover/keyboard yet knows its innovative. I'm sure apple has a lot of "innovative" stuff in their design cave that never sees the light of day because the know it probably won't work well in the real world.

Also had Apple released a new product and given it to one person to test/review and that person sang its praises I can damn well guarantee the Engadets and Cnets of the world would call this reviewer a fanboy, isheep or wonder how much they were paid to suck Apple's d**k.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    axualaxual Posts: 244member

"I feel like they've noticed that Apple doesn't enter a market with every feature possible ..."

Amazingly though, Apple actually has a real product when they announce it.

I have a feeling Surface will be Zune II.  If a hundred other manufactures can't get it right, why does Microsoft think they can?