Apple's new iPad estimated to cost $1.36 per year to charge

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    How long before the environmentalists catch on to this and start condemning people for using a Kindle + house lights instead of using a backlit device in the dark?
  • Reply 22 of 34
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    Math

60w CFL uses 13w or 113.8kwh of energy per year at 100% use. (13x 365 x 24)

An iPad 3 used 5hrs per day and charged with 85% efficiency uses 8.9 kwhrs per year.

But who leaves a light bulb on all day, every day? Compare it to your tv or desktop or something else.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    boriscletoboriscleto Posts: 159member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDave View Post

When you're driving one in 20 years, that's what I'll call you. :)

BTW, a 60 watt equivalent CFL draws about 14 watts. I don't know why they don't just call them 14 watt bulbs.  ???

For the same reason 6mm to 70mm lens on a small sensor camera is marketed as being equivalent to a 36mm to 432mm lens on a 135/Full Frame camera.

• Reply 24 of 34
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDave View Post

BTW, a 60 watt equivalent CFL draws about 14 watts. I don't know why they don't just call them 14 watt bulbs.  ???

They do that because the average consumer doesn't understand the math and the whole equivalent stuff naturally. In their minds they were using 60W bulbs and you want them to use 14W and that means less light etc. So they mark them as 60W equivalent to get across that it's the same light output. 

• Reply 25 of 34
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

If my math is right, they are assuming 60% average depletion and you unplug the charger when not in use.

They said from full discharge, every other day. 

• Reply 26 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new iPad estimated to cost $1.36 per year to charge

Probably cost $10 in jet fuel just to ship it to the US from China

• Reply 27 of 34
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member

I believe this is also due to the fact that the iPad doesn't do a whole lot compared to what your typical laptop does.  Think about all those unnecessary applications that are loaded in the background on some PCs and you wonder why people think their machines get slower with age.

But it would make sense to me if they made it twice as thin to give me 4 days of continuous operation.  I mean, come on, yes it's shiny and sleek, but I still can't fold it up and put it in my pocket.

• Reply 28 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="elmsley" url="/t/150850/apples-new-ipad-estimated-to-cost-1-36-per-year-to-charge#post_2132576"]I believe this is also due to the fact that the iPad doesn't do a whole lot compared to what your typical laptop does.[/QUOTE]

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/169022/width/400/height/300][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/169022/width/400/height/300[/IMG][/URL]
  • Reply 29 of 34
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

WHO GIVES A SHIT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Clearly you.

Exactly :)

• Reply 30 of 34
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukes View Post

Seriously, my 42" plasma is on for about 4 hours a week. It's not using 360kWh per year. What a useless factoid to include.

I just looked at Best Buy and the 42" LG plasma they have listed is rated at 140kwh/year.  I don't know how many hours a day they are assuming use on that.  Still, it has a power draw just by being plugged in, same as a computer.  My Mac Mini uses significantly less power at max load and at rest than my old PC did. 

• Reply 31 of 34
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

Thing with 10 watt power supply costs less to charge than thing with 13 watt power input. Revolutionary! 

Sigh...Really? 

• Reply 32 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Thing with 10 watt power supply costs less to charge than thing with 13 watt power input. Revolutionary! 

Sigh...Really? 

That's the first thing I thought... "Estimated"?? What genius had to "estimate" that 10W is less than 13W??

• Reply 33 of 34
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    dunks wrote: »
    Worlds most energy efficient lap warmer with built-in entertainment.
    I thought that was called a "cat".
  • Reply 34 of 34
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    idave wrote: »

Or rate them by light output then by how much energy is consumed.