Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

In an alternate universe, perhaps.

In his one, searching for "Samsung exploding phone" yields 634,000 hits:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Samsung+exploding+phone

and "exploding iphone" has 1.6 MM hits.

• Reply 23 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Given the weather here this week, I can imagine him having the heater on, maybe not full blast, I can also see how he might have got it wet.

Probably spilled his beer on it. </kidding>

• Reply 24 of 41

Imagine that, an exploding Samsung phone produces fragmentation

• Reply 25 of 41

"Flames shooting out..."

In defense of Samsung, I had a similar result with some Texas chili.

• Reply 26 of 41
    rjlcoolrjlcool Posts: 27member

SAMBOOM

• Reply 27 of 41
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

One incident doth not news make. A string of them ... well, that's a different story.

Back in the days when people smoked more, paper books of matches would frequently self-ignite in people's pockets on account of friction or whatever other reason. At the time you never saw any newspaper stories.

• Reply 28 of 41
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Or perhaps it suffered a melt down from the radiant solar heat - no phone can withstand the blazing hot deserts of Ireland.

May be he was in Fireland?

• Reply 29 of 41
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member

'Exploding'? Looks more like a slow fizzling fire to me. When I think explosion, I think BANG! POW! KABOOM!... Not fssssst with some smoke. 'Explode' seems like a harsh word as does 'Burst into flames'. Sensationalism at its best.

• Reply 30 of 41
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member

Oh... Forgot to mention. LiPo technology currently risks going into thermal runaway somewhere over 115* F. This isn't Samsung's fault, blame battery science. I'm guessing 125*F plus which can easily happen on a dashboard of a car could produce these results with just about any LiPo powered device.

• Reply 31 of 41
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    alexmit wrote: »
    'Exploding'? Looks more like a slow fizzling fire to me. When I think explosion, I think BANG! POW! KABOOM!... Not fssssst with some smoke. 'Explode' seems like a harsh word as does 'Burst into flames'. Sensationalism at its best.

Yeah, i agree - I think it was a case of self-immolation
  • Reply 32 of 41
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

I hope that "Ireland" (who is an AI member) is alright. 

• Reply 33 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    cgj wrote: »
    Bloody IRA.

Speaking of being politically incorrect, I was just thinking if this were an English blog the thread would have been full of Irish jokes. They just don't seem to have them in the USA,
  • Reply 34 of 41
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    I got my iPhone 4 super hot on a 100 degree summer day here in the west, and the phone came up with a warning and said it was too hot and shut down, I dont see why the galaxy SIII can't do the same. I would hope that samsung would be smart enough to protect its customers buy hey who knows. I know that apple does for sure because of the above example.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    This isn't a flaw, just a new previously unannounced feature - "cigarette lighter." It'll get better once it gets out of beta. You can get this on your iPhone but you have to jailbreak it. I'm waiting for the next Galaxy S model, when the feature set will be completed by the addition of "bottle opener" and "lotto scratch-off.". When it comes to hardware design, who says Samsung doesn't innovate!
  • Reply 36 of 41
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Someone else posted this months if not years ago:

"and if you use Microsoft search on your Samsung phone:

Bada bing,
    Bada boom!"
  • Reply 37 of 41
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

It happens occasionally, whether to iPhones, Android phones or any other type of phone... lithium-based batteries always have risks.

• Reply 38 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    euphonious wrote: »
    It happens occasionally, whether to iPhones, Android phones or any other type of phone... lithium-based batteries always have risks.

Of course you wouldn't be saying that if it was an iPhone exploding.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member

That pictures looks like the phone is jammed halfway up someone's hiney....

• Reply 40 of 41
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of course you wouldn't be saying that if it was an iPhone exploding.

Of course I would. There was one a while back about an iPhone exploding on a plane; of course, it was just the media making a mountain out of a molehill, much like this 'story'. Tens of millions of iPhones get sold, one of them explodes and the media wants to string Apple up.

You seem to have mischaracterised me as an Android obsessive, when actually I just hate hyberbole, false accusations and meaningless 'news' stories on both sides.

It's not me who has the bias.