Airline tech chief expects 2012 iPhone with NFC to dominate e-tickets

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26

In the Case of airlines why would nfc be needed, I swear Ive seen people on united pull up there boarding passed on their iphones. isnt that what pasbook is doing, just organizing your cards then pulling them up and can be scanned by readers in place? I wonder how the information goes into passbook, if someone buys you a gift card, can you take a picture with your phone or do you have enter all the digits and so forth? Seems like there trying to bypass NFC more then anything. It would be cool to have like an airdrop feature between phones using bluetooth. So you didnt have to send mms all the time.

• Reply 22 of 26

Our company competes with SITA in Aviation IT and this is just speculation at a very high level and their hyperactive PR Department in overdrive.

There is no factual evidence that Apple plans to incorporate NFC and, to be honest, if they did it would revolutionise aviation because deployment of anything new in this field takes a looooooong time to reach critical mass. Heck, 2D barcodes are still making waves!!

Aviation is hoping for something gimmicky like NFC to breathe life into outdated Passenger Services but the fact of the matter is that airport infrastructure globally (not just in a few high profile airports) needs to catch up with being able to read barcodes off smartphone screens even though the hardware exists. Apple Passbook adopters should consider the percentage of airports (or airlines for that matter) that would actually allow you to breeze past security and onto a flight with just your a barcode on your mobile. It is nowhere near what you would hope and expect in 2012.

Imaginarily bolting NFC onto an iPhone 5 in such certain terms seems is either grabbing headlines or this guy is privy to information that no one outside Cupertino or Foxconn is supposed to know.

• Reply 23 of 26
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    ryuk wrote: »
    (ed, this is false, see below)
    Yes it is hp printers are the only one that support AirPrint and only a select few at that
    And there is free software out there that lets your Mac* advertise itself as in AirPrint printer to iPads and such.

* I am to lazy to install this until the kids are back in school and all of them are whining about needing to print.
  • Reply 24 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

...  Apple rarely adds features that cannot be widely used...

Like Thunderbolt?

Like FireWire when it was first introduced?

Like selling a computer with no floppy-drive?

Apple is no stranger to introducing new features... even when no one else is doing it yet.

• Reply 25 of 26
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

I'd rather just use the phone and Apple not need additional chips and things to do what software can already do. 

• Reply 26 of 26
    I would consider Apple Passbook i.e. the ability to do digital transaction w/o the need for additional HW on both sides to be more robust and secure than NFC. With Passbook, the info that is going to be used can be restricted, controlled and consolidated into one place rather than every apps pulling NFC data by their own. With Passbook i.e. on-screen barcodes, everything is in one place. Of course, Apple could channel NFC transactions used by different apps so it can only be displayed or implemented within the Passbook to achieve the same the aforementioned effect. Besides, there are zillions of barcode readers everywhere already but not much NFC readers available so it's much more quicker to implement - heck I even have a barcode reader myself at home. Let Google or any other phones use NFC so regardless whether Apple decided to use or not use NFC, Apple don't have anything to lose. I mean there are millions of iTunes account already in the bag.