Apple tones down language touting OS X security measures

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    OK, I can see this will be endless, so I'll leave with a summary of my opinion, cuz obviously it's just an opinion, of what's what

• Apple has for years been subsidizing a sense of security by pointing at Windows faults
    • Apple has begun retracting that propaganda in light of recent, serious security breeches
    • OS X is not a stable environment relative to Windows 7
    • Apple has recently been in the habit of crashing their OS with patches
    • All systems have bugs, but the recent performance of OS updates exposes that OS X is *absolutely subject* to serious risks
    • If Apple's share of the market increases, those risks *will be* exploited
    • IMPORTANT: Use the rapidity of iOS's rooting as a forewarning of what the real-world will be like for a more popular OS X

Service advisory finished
  • Reply 42 of 109
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

OK, I can see this will be endless, so I'll leave with a summary of my opinion, cuz obviously it's just an opinion, of what's what

• Apple has for years been subsidizing a sense of security by pointing at Windows faults

• Apple has begun retracting that propaganda in light of recent, serious security breeches

• OS X is not a stable environment relative to Windows 7

• Apple has recently been in the habit of crashing their OS with patches

• All systems have bugs, but the recent performance of OS updates exposes that OS X is *absolutely subject* to serious risks

• If Apple's share of the market increases, those risks *will be* exploited

• IMPORTANT: Use the rapidity of iOS's rooting as a forewarning of what the real-world will be like for a more popular OS X

That's great advice and, next year, if MAC OS X users get another 'virus' through a third party software developer, then we'll ensure they do a nice, easy restore from iCloud, then keep on trucking. Hell, if their iOS devices ever have the same happen, they'll probably do the same there as well.

If it happens.

• Reply 43 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Apple has begun retracting that propaganda in light of recent, serious security breeches

To Java.
    OS X is not a stable environment relative to Windows 7

Hang on, let me go get a glass of milk so I can tell you I snorted it through my nose like ConradZitherGestan26 would.
    Apple has recently been in the habit of crashing their OS with patches

Someone go wake up the Webster's guys; a single instance of something happening is now defined as a "habit".
    If Apple's share of the market increases, those risks *will be* exploited

So the last twenty years haven't counted.
    IMPORTANT: Use the rapidity of iOS's rooting as a forewarning of what the real-world will be like for a more popular OS X

No, not in the slightest…
  • Reply 44 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

That's great advice and, next year, if MAC OS X users get another 'virus' through a third party software developer, then we'll ensure they do a nice, easy restore from iCloud, then keep on trucking. Hell, if their iOS devices ever have the same happen, they'll probably do the same there as well.

If it happens.

Sigh, give the most recent Apple Insider article about Mountain Lion a read. Note the first paragraph, which I will relate below...

It was revealed on Monday that Apple's upcoming OS X Mountain Lion will feature an automatic security check feature that will ensure users have the most up-to-date software protection amid a growing number of Mac-targeted malware.

And the rest of the article further supports my guessing of what the future holds. You need to stop being so protective, and consider that OS X is finally starting to grow up. It means that you will have to grow up, too.
  • Reply 45 of 109
    It was revealed on Monday that Apple's upcoming OS X Mountain Lion will feature an automatic security check feature that will ensure users have the most up-to-date software protection amid a growing number of Mac-targeted malware.

And your implication is what? This is to ensure all Mac users have updated security patches. This is absolutely no different from the five or fewer yearly security patches Apple already puts out, except users will be ensured to DO them from now on. This is Apple further removing the nonsense that users shouldn't have to see whatsoever, not an indication of any increased security problems.

No greater number of malware has come out for OS X, that is not a function of marketshare, and almost everything you've said has been wrong or based on the assumption that OS X operates at all like Windows.
  • Reply 46 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, not in the slightest…

Java today, the rest tomorrow. The wave hits shore somewhere.

Do you snore, too? You're a doofus if you think OS X is more stable than Windows 7

Three times this year, wake up.

They do count - do you remember the 90's when Mac viruses were profligate? Back to a small market share, and, well, fewer viruses!

Right, it's not a "slight," it's a warning. You're a moderator, but you're also blind.
  • Reply 47 of 109
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Now that [B]kustardking[/B] has moved his trolling comments to include personal attacks can the mods consider a banning?
  • Reply 48 of 109

That's not how software works.
    Do you snore, too?

I sleep on my stomach.
    You're a doofus if you think OS X is more stable than Windows 7

Guess I'm a doofus. On that note, please do not insult AppleInsider users, as that's against our rules.
    Three times this year, wake up.

I can only recall the recent Thunderbolt patch. Would you mind listing the other two?
    They do count - do you remember the 90's when Mac viruses were profligate?

When they were… wasteful? No, I don't recall that… Probably because there were more problems with the classic OS' than there have been with OS X.
    Right, it's not a "slight," it's a warning.

I've no clue what you're talking about, nor do I believe do you.
  • Reply 49 of 109

Quote:

You're starting to sound an awful lot like Steve Ballmer:

"In the future this will definitely happen..."

• Reply 50 of 109
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kustardking View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Still waiting. We've been hearing the same lines for nearly a decade. Oh but NOW, it's different. Yes, THIS is The Year of Desktop Linux the year The Wave will hit.

But I'm not worried. because I know YOU will be the very first one to let us know when "the wave" hits. 

(Don't hold your breath.)

• Reply 51 of 109
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Guess I'm a doofus. On that note, please do not insult AppleInsider users, as that's against our rules.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Now that kustardking has moved his trolling comments to include personal attacks can the mods consider a banning?

Actually it is not against the rules. Insulting someone by calling them a doofus is not vulgar, obscene, threatening or against the law. 

Please read the terms of service for AI forum. It is only two paragraphs.

• Reply 52 of 109
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    Actually it is not against the rules. Insulting someone by calling them a doofus is not vulgar, obscene, threatening or against the law. 

Please read the terms of service for AI forum. It is only two paragraphs.

I thought a personal attack on a person was a separate offense to those other offenses.
  • Reply 53 of 109
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Still waiting. We've been hearing the same lines for nearly a decade. Oh but NOW, it's different. Yes, THIS is The Year of Desktop Linux the year The Wave will hit. But I'm not worried. because I know YOU will be the very first one to let us know when "the wave" hits. 

Gosh dang it, Huddler… so much useless WHITE SPACE. :lol:
    mstone wrote: »

Need to write our rules out better, then. They're quite vague as-is.
  • Reply 54 of 109
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

PR. They had to. 

The average user doesn't know the difference between "trojan" and "virus" and "malware." In fact, Joe Lunchbox lumps everything into the "virus" category. 

Next time a trojan shows up for OS X (we get one or two every few years, Lol) they'll scream "virus!!!"  and there goes the neighbourhood.

And whereas media coverage about the precious few pieces of OS X malware in the past was next to nonexistent, Apple's brand name has

garnered more attention over the past few years than ever. Count on the news about next trojan (maybe sometime next year)

to clog tech news sites and mainstream news outlets. 

Apple doesn't need to deal with that kind of bullish*t. Can't blame them for modifying the PR blurb.

It wasn't necessary, but the possibility for negative PR arising from consumer misunderstanding (or rather, ignorance) is far too great. 

I know how much you love Apple. Consider that they market on simplicity, and many tech illiterate individuals buy their product on this basis. Even if you look at Windows based systems, most malware in  the wild isn't in virus form, but the term has held up over the years. I am not suggesting they run out and get the latest security suite, but people should watch what they download and install regardless of operating system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

It's perfectly reasonably for Joe Lunchbox to think so.  Whether it's a worm or virus, or an STD, he doesn't care, "It just doesn't work, fix it" he yells.

Regardless, his understanding should be that "OS X doesn't need extra anti-viral software, because Apple will issue a security update ASAP if there is anything wrong".  It really doesn't make sense that they would need to teach us anything too technical. 

Should I be worried about my iOS running on 'unsecure wireless networks' yet?

That's what he gets for using an improperly shielded 64 pin connector.

• Reply 55 of 109
    hmm wrote: »
    That's what he gets for using an improperly shielded 64 pin connector.

????… ???? + ? = ????

And according to some,

????????????

Emoji rock.
  • Reply 56 of 109
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 662member
    If Apple had avoided making absurd claims of security invulnerability, they could have more reasonability shown independent analysis between PC and Mac virus/malware infections. to show where Mac stands against it's primary competitor. Instead, they ended up with egg on their face.

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/169336/width/259/height/194][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/169336/width/259/height/194[/IMG][/URL]
  • Reply 57 of 109
    Quote:

Gosh dang it, Huddler… so much useless WHITE SPACE. image

Need to write our rules out better, then. They're quite vague as-is.

I stepped away for a bit, but I'll respond generally:

- The "wave" never came before Apple never had a chance at market share like it has now. You don't see that? I'm sure you do, so note that you are splitting into two something that is one: low virus count == low market share.

- A higher malware count == greater share in the market, be happy Apple has to grow up and deal with it

- Your complacency is being abandoned by Apple, follow your leader

- I apologize for economizing my thoughts into the word doofus, but I didn't want to spend the rest of the evening going on about complacency in the face of a sea-change.

For your edification, OS patches causing full stop:

• Recent Thunderbolt patch
    • CUI 10.7.3 boot failures and UI hangs, February 2012
    • Security 2011-006
  • Reply 58 of 109

Quote:

You sure take a bit to wind down, don't you?

(>_<)

• Reply 59 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You sure take a bit to wind down, don't you?

(>_<)

haha - right, sorry, but there were some replies.
  • Reply 60 of 109

Quote:

????… ???? + ? = ????

And according to some,

????????????

Emoji rock.

Say what?