Apple's iPhone 4S remains top selling smartphone at Verizon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

Nice deflection of the key point which is not that his mum didn't like her Android but that VZ actively pushes people away from the iPhone because it is more expensive for them to acquire (subsidy is $100-200 more) and nets not much more revenue than a cheaper Android sale. Thus the OPs point stands.

His mum not liking Android was just gravy... ;-)

Or a quick side note so that forum members do not think he actually associates with someone that owns an Android device and might actually like it.  Its like people that claim they are not racist because they have (insert race here) friends. 

• Reply 22 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

Unless you bring facts into it. Last quarter carrier activation numbers (their sales plus Apple Store, etc.) clearly showed that Apple sold more devices in the US than all Androids combined (73% of all new smartphones at AT&T, 53% at VZ and >50% at Sprint). Unless T-Mobile and the tiny local carriers somehow can somehow reverse that trend (highly unlikely). What is apparent is that the iPhone 4S sells multiples of the next phone down the list. This will decline as we get to the quarter before the next iPhone but it doesn't change the facts so far this year. The data that says that Android outsells Apple in the US comes from survey data of a few thousand consumers. I trust the carrier sales data personally. This data above means nothing without actual sales numbers. 4S could be 5X the Razr Maxx for all we know.

PS The 4S is reputedly about 75% of total iPhone sales. Not many opt for saving a few bucks on the weaker models given how expensive the plans are on all 3 main carriers. The table in the OP already breaks it out by model (see 4S, 4 are separate).

Then roll on over to over all world wide activations and this number quickly flip flops.  I think as of today, Google is reporting 900,000 daily activations on new, individual devices and based on the graph for this article, the top Android devices are top of the line smart phones, not cheap-o's that the bois like to use as a retort.

• Reply 23 of 54
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nagromme wrote: »
    Juggle the numbers all you like, people are still happier with their iPhones :) I get little value from enjoying my device’s “sales ranking.” I get value from ease of use and quality of apps.

Exactly. I couldn't care less whether someone is happy with their Android phone. I've tried them and for me, nothing comes close to my iPhone.
    Yeah, the bottom line is, as long as you're happy with your phone, that's what matters. To be fair, though, tons of Android users are happy with their phones as well.

To be REALLY fair, you have to look at customer satisfaction and customer retention rates - and Apple wins hands down.
    capnbob wrote: »

Unless you bring facts into it. Last quarter carrier activation numbers (their sales plus Apple Store, etc.) clearly showed that Apple sold more devices in the US than all Androids combined (73% of all new smartphones at AT&T, 53% at VZ and >50% at Sprint). Unless T-Mobile and the tiny local carriers somehow can somehow reverse that trend (highly unlikely). What is apparent is that the iPhone 4S sells multiples of the next phone down the list. This will decline as we get to the quarter before the next iPhone but it doesn't change the facts so far this year. The data that says that Android outsells Apple in the US comes from survey data of a few thousand consumers. I trust the carrier sales data personally. This data above means nothing without actual sales numbers. 4S could be 5X the Razr Maxx for all we know.

PS The 4S is reputedly about 75% of total iPhone sales. Not many opt for saving a few bucks on the weaker models given how expensive the plans are on all 3 main carriers. The table in the OP already breaks it out by model (see 4S, 4 are separate).

The reason for the confusion is that there's no standard definition of what constitutes a 'smart phone'. This was shown last quarter when two different reports on Samsung agreed within a percent or two on total phone sales, but were off by something like 30% on smart phone sales (one said that Samsung's smartphones outsold the iPhone and the other did not). Clearly, the two different reports must have disagreed on what constitutes a smart phone, with one including some phones that are borderline and the other not including borderline phones.

Since Apple is not interested in the low end, marginally smart phones, the latter is probably of more interest to Apple.

In the case of the figures you presented, I would guess that they show the percentage of phones that have a data plan. My ex is on her third Android 'Smart phone', but this is the first one with a data plan. The first two were just to limiting to make it worthwhile. My daughter is on her 4th Android smart phone (thank goodness for AT&T's phone damage warranty!) and this is again the first one that was good enough to justify a data plan. The point is that many Android smart phones are not being used as smart phones at all. I suspect that is far less likely to happen with iPhones.
  • Reply 24 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Exactly. I couldn't care less whether someone is happy with their Android phone. I've tried them and for me, nothing comes close to my iPhone.

To be REALLY fair, you have to look at customer satisfaction and customer retention rates - and Apple wins hands down.

The reason for the confusion is that there's no standard definition of what constitutes a 'smart phone'. This was shown last quarter when two different reports on Samsung agreed within a percent or two on total phone sales, but were off by something like 30% on smart phone sales (one said that Samsung's smartphones outsold the iPhone and the other did not). Clearly, the two different reports must have disagreed on what constitutes a smart phone, with one including some phones that are borderline and the other not including borderline phones.

Since Apple is not interested in the low end, marginally smart phones, the latter is probably of more interest to Apple.

In the case of the figures you presented, I would guess that they show the percentage of phones that have a data plan. My ex is on her third Android 'Smart phone', but this is the first one with a data plan. The first two were just to limiting to make it worthwhile. My daughter is on her 4th Android smart phone (thank goodness for AT&T's phone damage warranty!) and this is again the first one that was good enough to justify a data plan. The point is that many Android smart phones are not being used as smart phones at all. I suspect that is far less likely to happen with iPhones.

But yet the very graph related to this story shows that all the top sellers are top of the line smart phones for each manufacture and have data.  Your "girlfriends" situation is the minority and people are obviously buying top of the line Android phones with data.

• Reply 25 of 54
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Not surprising since the only phone that runs iOS is the iPhone. If you count all Android and all iOS then Android sells more. This comparison is worthless since Apple only sells one phone, the iPhone. I would like to see the numbers based on models iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, Galaxy SIII, SII, yada yada. (I still prefer the iPhone) At least this would give a better comparison between iOS devices and Android devices.

No matter how the comparisons are made, it'll never be a fair comparison. If it was a platform comparison, then iOS includes ipod touches and ipads. If it's a manufacturer comparison, then the android guys will want to include all android devices and not just a single manufacturer.

To please the android guys, it would have to be android OS vs iphone hardware. As long as companies continue to release better phones, we should all be happy with our choices and not concern ourselves with which phone or platform is selling more.

• Reply 26 of 54
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

The Galaxy Note was actually the 3rd bestselling phone at AT&T in March!? Wow, wouldn't have predicted that. Are those customers now in the hospital recovering from hernia operation?

• Reply 27 of 54
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    hellacool wrote: »

But yet the very graph related to this story shows that all the top sellers are top of the line smart phones for each manufacture and have data.  Your "girlfriends" situation is the minority and people are obviously buying top of the line Android phones with data.

You're missing the point. The iPhone is #1 from every one of the major carriers above except T-mobile. They're #1 and #3 from several of them.

The point is that you can't simply add up ALL Android phones and compare them to the iPhone. Rather, you should add up only those that are used as a smartphone. While that includes the top selling models listed above, it doesn't include all Android phones, so trying to add up ALL android phones to compare to the iPhone is misleading.
  • Reply 28 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Juggle the numbers all you like, people are still happier with their iPhones :) I get little value from enjoying my device’s “sales ranking.” I get value from ease of use and quality of apps.

Yes, but you still get some value in "sales ranking" - it makes your chosen device more attractive to developers.  Thats not a lot, but it helps.

• Reply 29 of 54
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member

Quote:

You're missing the point. The iPhone is #1 from every one of the major carriers above except T-mobile. They're #1 and #3 from several of them.

The point is that you can't simply add up ALL Android phones and compare them to the iPhone. Rather, you should add up only those that are used as a smartphone. While that includes the top selling models listed above, it doesn't include all Android phones, so trying to add up ALL android phones to compare to the iPhone is misleading.

All Android are smartphones

• Reply 30 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Speaking of vendors…

VisionMobile's the source.

Is that a "metro" pie chart?

• Reply 31 of 54
    0yvind0yvind Posts: 55member

By Hellacool:

Quote:

I think as of today, Google is reporting 900,000 daily activations on new, individual devices and based on the graph for this article, the top Android devices are top of the line smart phones, not cheap-o's that the bois like to use as a retort.

Worldwide smarphone OS usage tells another story. If the majority of Androids were high-end phones, wouldn't that show on the internet usage statistics? 

• Reply 32 of 54
    sasparillasasparilla Posts: 121member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Or a quick side note so that forum members do not think he actually associates with someone that owns an Android device and might actually like it.  Its like people that claim they are not racist because they have (insert race here) friends. 

That isn't it either.  If she like it, it'd be fine for her, but the phone is glitchy and crashes on her enough that she mentioned it (probably the apps she installed).  I don't have an iPhone.

But back to the main point, the sales folks at Verizon actively pushed her away from what she walked in and asked for (an iPhone) to something better for them (Android) - presumably because it's less expensive for Verizon.  It's amazing the iPhone is still #1 at Verizon considering that this is happening at the point of sale.

• Reply 33 of 54

Quote:

All Android are smart phones.  Now if they choose to not have data, that is on them.

• Reply 34 of 54
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Speaking of vendors…

VisionMobile's the source.

Tim Cook is responsible for this part.....................................................^^^^^^^

Profit is all that matters long term.

• Reply 35 of 54
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    If the Lumia 900 is selling so well, how come I've never seen one in the wild?
  • Reply 36 of 54
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

That isn't it either.  If she like it, it'd be fine for her, but the phone is glitchy and crashes on her enough that she mentioned it (probably the apps she installed).  I don't have an iPhone.

But back to the main point, the sales folks at Verizon actively pushed her away from what she walked in and asked for (an iPhone) to something better for them (Android) - presumably because it's less expensive for Verizon.  It's amazing the iPhone is still #1 at Verizon considering that this is happening at the point of sale.

Bigger profit margins on Android phones & 4G/LTE is capable of using alot more data.  Its a win-win situation for companies like Verizon to push a cheaper 4G Android phone over the 4S.

You could also look at the family plans and draw the same conclusions.  Ever notice how many Android phones are buy 1, get 1 free.  The 2 year contract & expensive tiered data plans that you get stuck with damn sure isnt free.

• Reply 37 of 54
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

sorry but you do not know what you are talking about.

there's (let's say) 10 high end android phones.

there's 1000 medium end android phones.

there's 10000000 low end android phones.

the high end accounts for less than 20% of all android phone activations (if they activate 900.000 per day).

can you understand?

samsung sold less than 40 million galaxy (s, s2, note) to date and they outsold all other OEMs. the galaxy will appear very high on every list, but only 1 in 10 android users will buy it.

do the math troll.

can you understand the logic or are you so limited and also busy in your little basement?

• Reply 38 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

sorry but you do not know what you are talking about.

there's (let's say) 10 high end android phones.

there's 1000 medium end android phones.

there's 10000000 low end android phones.

the high end accounts for less than 20% of all android phone activations (if they activate 900.000 per day).

can you understand?

samsung sold less than 40 million galaxy (s, s2, note) to date and they outsold all other OEMs. the galaxy will appear very high on every list, but only 1 in 10 android users will buy it.

do the math troll.

can you understand the logic or are you so limited and also busy in your little basement?

Wow. Take a chill pill, man.

• Reply 39 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galley View Post

If the Lumia 900 is selling so well, how come I've never seen one in the wild?

Come to think of it, I haven't seen too many myself either. I see almost exclusively iPhones, Galaxies and Blackberries.

But, out of 10 phones we see in the wild, how many are newly purchased units? Perhaps we are not out in the wild as much as we think?

• Reply 40 of 54
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Arn just made an update to his blog. It's two different reports not conflicting views on the same report. I guess now we can debate which one is more accurate.
    2) I like Arn and his blog, while not even close to the thoroughness of AI, does have its charms. What I can't stand about his site if the forums. It's a bit unfair to compare it to AI forums because the posters here are, on the whole, much more objective and thoughtful in their understanding, desire to understand, and desire to communicate well that there is no other forum I frequent that even comes close. I don't know much of that is due to chance or to the overall design of AI but I'll take it either way.
    Cult of Mac is the worst blog. Every time Apple does something there's a blog posting about how whatever they did is going to revolutionize the industry. Just got one today on how Apple's new podcast app will revolutionize the podcasting industry. Talk about hyperbole.