Apple launches new 'Podcasts' app for iPhone, iPad

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    Loving this app on the iPad TWiT.tv has the best podcast in the world...
  • Reply 42 of 57
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    As a regular user of Downcast, which has sadly become very unstable lately, I was looking forward to seeing what apple could bring to the table. I shouldn't have bothered.

This is incredibly early, devoid of so many essential features as to be basically useless. It's also staggeringly slow on my iPhone 4, locking up for minutes at a time for no obvious reason. And it crashes, it crashes a LOT.

I'll stick with Downcast, and hope that it get comes more stable sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member

Now all Apple needs to do is move audiobooks over to ibooks (so that they can use the annotation features) and move more of the music features on the Mac over to the iOS music app.

• Reply 44 of 57
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

at a minimum, hopefully they'll let users put all the "iTunes apps" into one folder (hmm, called "iTunes"?) so they're all in one place and readily accessible.

1. Place a finger on any app icon on your screen and hold it there until the apps start jiggling around. 

2. Drag one of the applicable apps on top of another applicable app. 

3. Tap the little white on gray X in the white bubble of the newly created folder. 

4. Type 'iTunes' in the now empty bubble

5. Tap anywhere outside of the gray 'folder' area. 

6. Drag the next applicable app into the new 'folder'. Repeat until you have all the apps you like in said folder

7. Tap your home button (that's the round button in the black/white area of your iPad or iPhone) to 'exit' edit mode. 

Same function that has been there for a while now. Have at it. 

Whatever.  Let me know when you get over yourself.

• Reply 45 of 57
    rcha101rcha101 Posts: 11member

Interesting approach spliting everything out on IOS, probably makes sense though. I assume that there will not be a podcasts app for OSX.

• Reply 46 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Terribly un-Apple app.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

This is worthless to me if it doesn't sync status of played podcasts back to iTunes. I still use one of those crazy iPod's a few days a week.

• Reply 48 of 57

Quote:

at a minimum, hopefully they'll let users put all the "iTunes apps" into one folder (hmm, called "iTunes"?) so they're all in one place and readily accessible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

1. Place a finger on any app icon on your screen and hold it there until the apps start jiggling around. 

2. Drag one of the applicable apps on top of another applicable app. 

3. Tap the little white on gray X in the white bubble of the newly created folder. 

4. Type 'iTunes' in the now empty bubble

5. Tap anywhere outside of the gray 'folder' area. 

6. Drag the next applicable app into the new 'folder'. Repeat until you have all the apps you like in said folder

7. Tap your home button (that's the round button in the black/white area of your iPad or iPhone) to 'exit' edit mode. 

Same function that has been there for a while now. Have at it. 

Quote:

Whatever.  Let me know when you get over yourself.

Seeing as charlituna has just helped you out with the problem you have by providing a solution that will give you exactly what you want, I find that quite a strange reaction.

• Reply 49 of 57
    "Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed" -- this must REQUIRE iOS 6 for iPad, since there is no clock app in 5.1.1...

[B]Update: Nevermind, the sleep time is hidden behind the podcast artwork, along with other settings... Not too intuitive to find...[/B]
  • Reply 50 of 57
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    irnchriz wrote: »
    Excellent app. Keeps all your podcasts and podcast subscriptions together on your device. Easy to browse for and subscribe to additional podcasts too. Bonus is that it looks great on both the iPhone and iPad.
    It doesn't keep ALL your podcasts synced. I have a backlog of podcasts that have either finish (because they followed a TV show) or I no longer subscribe too. Those podcasts are not included. My guess is perhaps iTunes match might solve this? It makes no sence to have podcasts in both music and podcasts apps...I guess that will be resolved in iOS 6. The tape real is dumb but whatever. I haven't found a podcast that has chapters in my library yet but will investigate. If they screwed it up I'll be pissed. All in all I'm really glad they did this. Why it needed to be separated from the music app is beyond me though.
  • Reply 51 of 57

That's it, Apple. You've finally lost yourselves. What a pointless app, with probably the worst interface you've ever created. I tried to tolerate the green felt and the fugly leather, but this is too much.

Unless the new iPhone has a 41 megapixel camera and 42hour battery technology powered by unicorn tears, I'm getting a WP8 Lumia as soon as it hits the market.

• Reply 52 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

Now all Apple needs to do is move audiobooks over to ibooks (so that they can use the annotation features) and move more of the music features on the Mac over to the iOS music app.

Or you could just use the Audible app. Audible provide most of the audio books in iTunes, but Audible have more and sell them cheaper, especially if you subscribe.

• Reply 53 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

That's it, Apple. You've finally lost yourselves. What a pointless app, with probably the worst interface you've ever created. I tried to tolerate the green felt and the fugly leather, but this is too much.

Unless the new iPhone has a 41 megapixel camera and 42hour battery technology powered by unicorn tears, I'm getting a WP8 Lumia as soon as it hits the market.

At the rate they're going the iPhone 6 will be made of real wood and come in a hessian sack.

I much prefer proper digital interfaces, such as Windows Phone and Metro. It's just too bad Win Phone is already a dead platform.

• Reply 54 of 57
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Excellent app. Keeps all your podcasts and podcast subscriptions together on your device. Easy to browse for and subscribe to additional podcasts too. Bonus is that it looks great on both the iPhone and iPad.

It doesn't keep ALL your podcasts synced. I have a backlog of podcasts that have either finish (because they followed a TV show) or I no longer subscribe too. Those podcasts are not included. My guess is perhaps iTunes match might solve this? It makes no sence to have podcasts in both music and podcasts apps...I guess that will be resolved in iOS 6. The tape real is dumb but whatever. I haven't found a podcast that has chapters in my library yet but will investigate. If they screwed it up I'll be pissed. All in all I'm really glad they did this. Why it needed to be separated from the music app is beyond me though.

Well as you note, there is a ton of broken functionality and we don't know if it is going to be fixed. There was mention of a new Music app in iOS6 as well from the screenshots I have seen. I would hate to have it missing the podcast functionality and lose all the syncing of my podcasts from computer, iPhone and iPod. Their current and prior solution worked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

I don't think going non-Apple will fix this problem in terms of phones. There are other solutions available in the iTunes store. Clearly a Lumia would never sync with iTunes so if that isn't a concern, try the alternatives on the iPhone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

Or you could just use the Audible app. Audible provide most of the audio books in iTunes, but Audible have more and sell them cheaper, especially if you subscribe.

Audible has more audiobooks and they are cheaper.........until Apple colludes with audiobook publishers to go to the agency model.image

• Reply 55 of 57
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Really? People still say idiotic things in forums?

Of course people still listen to podcasts. Why wouldn't they?

They seemed a brief fad to me.  This is the most I've seen anyone discuss podcasting in years.  

• Reply 56 of 57

Oh but it appears the new guy DID screw it up.  In my case, I am unable to download podcasts that are password-protected...

Unless someone can show me how...

• Reply 57 of 57

The Apple podcast app is the most useless, buggy, slow piece of rubbish yet created.

It is not fit for purpose.

It crashes a lot. Now my phone doesn't work as well as before the app was forced out.

Apparently, even though I have downloaded a podcast on my laptop, I will only be permitted to listen to it on my iphone if I enable mobile data. Why can't I listen offline? It doesn't need to stream, it's already downloaded.

The podcasts can't be sorted alphabetically so they are a mess when I'm trying to find one.

There is no longer a scroll bar so I can skip sections, and chapter descriptions are gone as well.

When separating podcasts into their own app, should you not have given us more functionality, not less?

FAIL FAIL FAIL