AT&T & Verizon retain most iPhone users, Sprint gains more switchers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
While most who purchase an iPhone for use with AT&T or Verizon were already subscribers to that carrier, a larger number of Sprint iPhone buyers are switchers from another carrier, a new survey shows.

The data comes from a new report available from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners, which provided a copy to AppleInsider on Wednesday. Its research found that 80 percent of AT&T iPhone buyers and 85 percent purchasing Apple's iPhone for use with Verizon were already subscribers to those respective carriers.

But just 67 percent of iPhone users with Sprint were already customers of the nation's third-largest wireless provider. Among Sprint iPhone users, 9 percent switched from AT&T, 2 percent switched from Verizon, and 5 percent came from T-Mobile.

The largest share of customers switching to Sprint came from outside the "big four" wireless providers in the U.S. CIRP's research found that 16 percent of Sprint iPhone buyers fell under the "other" category, which is primarily made up of pre-paid carriers.

That means that a third of iPhone users on Sprint came from other carriers and are new to the company. That's more than twice the percentage of new customers gained by Verizon via iPhone purchases.

The survey of Apple customers also found that AT&T and Verizon were able to retain 94 percent of their existing customers that bought an iPhone. Sprint was slightly behind, retaining 88 percent of its existing customers, but 10 percent of those Sprint lost switched to AT&T.

AT&T also gains the greatest number of switchers from T-Mobile, which is the fourth-largest wireless carrier in the U.S. CIRP's survey found that 65 percent of T-Mobile users who bought an iPhone switched to AT&T, compared to 26 percent leaving for Verizon and 10 percent for Sprint.

Previous research from CIRP released in March showed that retailer Best Buy sells nearly as many iPhones as Apple does through its own direct sales, and that customers prefer to buy their iPhone in person rather than online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

"CIRP's research found that 16 percent of Sprint iPhone buyers fell under the "other" category, which is primarily made up of pre-paid carriers."

Is this why some the prepaid carriers are negotiating with Apple? Or is it the other way around? Perhaps Apple is cognizant of their effect on small carriers and want to make sure they do not shift the industry completely to the big 4?

• Reply 2 of 6
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    AT&T just lost one. I'm on Straight Talk now - $45 per month unlimited everything. Since they use AT&T's network, the only thing I'm giving up is visual voicemail. Considering that I was paying $170 per month for 2 phones before with very limited data service, it's a great deal.

Bye, bye AT&T.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    sandyfsandyf Posts: 42member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

AT&T just lost one. I'm on Straight Talk now - $45 per month unlimited everything. Since they use AT&T's network, the only thing I'm giving up is visual voicemail. Considering that I was paying $170 per month for 2 phones before with very limited data service, it's a great deal.

Bye, bye AT&T.

I'm exploring a similar route. We're an all iMac family, 2-iPhones & 1-android, 1-iPad, 1-airport extreme & express on ATT...$170-$200/mo.

The above includes 3 data plans: ($45/mo) that we don't want or need since our home is all WiFi and when we travel, WiFi is readily available.

Our renewal for both iPhones is coming up next month and I'm trying to find a quality non-data phone and then use the iPhones like an iTouch.

Amazingly, not much choice for non-data phones that provide a quasi-smart phone experience.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks for the lead with Straight Talk.

• Reply 4 of 6
    sandyf wrote: »
    I'm exploring a similar route. We're an all iMac family, 2-iPhones & 1-android, 1-iPad, 1-airport extreme & express on ATT...$170-$200/mo.
    The above includes 3 data plans: ($45/mo) that we don't want or need since our home is all WiFi and when we travel, WiFi is readily available.
    Our renewal for both iPhones is coming up next month and I'm trying to find a quality non-data phone and then use the iPhones like an iTouch.
    Amazingly, not much choice for non-data phones that provide a quasi-smart phone experience.
    Thoughts anyone?

If you want a non-data phone, Straight Talk has some, as low as $0.00 (I can't quite figure out how they do that when you don't sign a contract). If you don't want the data plan, they have 1000 minutes for $30 per month, as well as the unlimited data and calls for $45 per month.

One big caution: If you plan to put one of the iPhones on Straight Talk, make sure that you have AT&T unlock the phone before you transfer the number. I just spent 2 hours going around and around with AT&T trying to get my phone unlocked because I transferred the number first and AT&T couldn't find my phone in their system (I told them that since they couldn't find my phone, they could just refund the $15 K or so I've spent on service for the past 5 years, but they didn't go for that). You don't need to unlock an iPhone to get phone service, but you do need to unlock it to use data.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandyf View Post

Thoughts anyone?

If you want a non-data phone, Straight Talk has some, as low as $0.00 (I can't quite figure out how they do that when you don't sign a contract). If you don't want the data plan, they have 1000 minutes for $30 per month, as well as the unlimited data and calls for $45 per month.

One big caution: If you plan to put one of the iPhones on Straight Talk, make sure that you have AT&T unlock the phone before you transfer the number. I just spent 2 hours going around and around with AT&T trying to get my phone unlocked because I transferred the number first and AT&T couldn't find my phone in their system (I told them that since they couldn't find my phone, they could just refund the $15 K or so I've spent on service for the past 5 years, but they didn't go for that). You don't need to unlock an iPhone to get phone service, but you do need to unlock it to use data.

Actually you don't need to unlock it to get data working but it does help with getting MMS working.

Here is a good guide to help anyone else going to Straight Talk. I have two iPhones there now.

• Reply 6 of 6
    trumptman wrote: »
    Actually you don't need to unlock it to get data working but it does help with getting MMS working.

Here is a good guide to help anyone else going to Straight Talk. I have two iPhones there now.

I'm glad it worked for you, but it didn't work for me. I tried the http://unlockit.co.nz option and it said that the APN was updated, but it didn't work. Even after rebooting the phone it didn't work.

Some other reports say that unlockit requires that the phone be unlocked, so maybe it depends on which firmware your phone has (mine has 04.12.01 which causes problems for unlocking apps). Jailbroken may be sufficient, as well. I'll have to keep trying.