Google says 12 Android devices activated every second, 400M to date

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68

Where the H-E-double hockey sticks are these devices?!!  All I see are iPhones and iPads even rare exceptions.  The same held true during the years I endured an Android phone (before my carrier started carrying the iPhone).

Also, if this is even remotely true, how are Google's mobile profits still being generated overwhelmingly on iOS devices?

• Reply 42 of 68

Where the H-E-double hockey sticks are these devices?!!  All I see are iPhones and iPads even rare exceptions.  The same held true during the years I endured an Android phone (before my carrier started carrying the iPhone).

Also, if this is even remotely true, how are Google's mobile profits still being generated overwhelmingly on iOS devices?

• Reply 43 of 68

Also, if this is even remotely true, how are Google's mobile profits still being generated overwhelmingly on iOS devices?

• Reply 44 of 68

"All I see are iPhones and iPads even rare exceptions."

That should be:

"All I see are iPhones and iPads except with rare exceptions." 

Not sure what happened or why I can't seem to edit my previous post.

• Reply 45 of 68
    What Apple net profit daily is even more than Google daily revenue . That is what I care !
  • Reply 46 of 68

Nah, they're just trying to explain to Android developers why they don't make as much money on Android apps as iOS apps.

• Reply 47 of 68

I stand corrected...In THIS thread we find out how insecure a lot of Apple users tend to be.

• Reply 48 of 68

So... wait.

((60x60)x24)x12 = 1,036,800 devices a day.

1,036,800 x 365 = 339,960,000 devices a year.

Yeah, no... I hate it when they do "we sell this many a second" because its obviously a load of bollocks. Around 400 millions Personal Computers were shipped in 2011 - that I can believe; laptops, netbooks, PCs, Macs, ultrabooks, desknotes, workstations and so forth - it all adds up and a PC is a necessity of modern life where a Smart Phone is not. I cannot, however, believe that 339 million Android devices are going to be sold this year. Samsung takes up the vast majority of the Android market and they consider it a great quarter selling around the 30 million mark. Even if you add all the iOS devices together, who's market share dominates in the mobile world, it still only reached 156 million devices in 2011.

Android phone are popular, but the tablet sales are poor and there is no media player market for Android.

Screw 12 devices a second, Google. Its obviously not going to happen anytime soon.

/mini-rant

• Reply 49 of 68
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm not sure how they track that. Google Play doesn't access the IMEI number, AFAIK.

So let's say you activate a phone, then swap the SIM to move to a different network and activate it again. Probably counts as a separate activation.

What would Google Play have to do with activation numbers? FWIW, I think the Play store probably does collect the device ID. What better way to identify compatible applications for a specific device configuration? It's not simply that a user has a certain OS version. There's even game versions optimized for specific processors, ie Tegra3. They gotta identify them somehow.

But that's not important anyway. Activating a phone is a carrier function, not something done thru the Play Store.

• Reply 50 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

So... wait.

((60x60)x24)x12 = 1,036,800 devices a day.

1,036,800 x 365 = 339,960,000 devices a year.

Yeah, no... I hate it when they do "we sell this many a second" because its obviously a load of bollocks. Around 400 millions Personal Computers were shipped in 2011 - that I can believe; laptops, netbooks, PCs, Macs, ultrabooks, desknotes, workstations and so forth - it all adds up and a PC is a necessity of modern life where a Smart Phone is not. I cannot, however, believe that 339 million Android devices are going to be sold this year. Samsung takes up the vast majority of the Android market and they consider it a great quarter selling around the 30 million mark. Even if you add all the iOS devices together, who's market share dominates in the mobile world, it still only reached 156 million devices in 2011.

Android phone are popular, but the tablet sales are poor and there is no media player market for Android.

Screw 12 devices a second, Google. Its obviously not going to happen anytime soon.

/mini-rant

I don't think you realize what the smartphone sales numbers are.  This chart will probably help you understand  340M Android phones activated over the next 12 months is certainly believable.

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/canaccordgenuity/files/2012/02/Smartphone-unit-sales-and-market-share-estimates-by-OEM-millions.png

• Reply 51 of 68
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    macnthebox wrote: »
    <div id="user_ynano_hooks_page" style="display:none;">
    <div id="user_callsToClient_page" style="display:none;"> </div>

<div id="user_eventsFromClient_page" style="display:none;"> </div>

"All I see are iPhones and iPads even rare exceptions."

That should be:

"All I see are iPhones and iPads except with rare exceptions." 

The mix seems to be roughly 50:50 for me. But it's hard to judge anecdotally. The best way to validate one data set is to try to correlate it with another.

Not sure what happened or why I can't seem to edit my previous post.

You should see a pencil icon near the lower left corner of your post. It should work for you, but if it doesn't, then I don't know what to do.
  • Reply 52 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Actually you'll find everything from Tabs, low end phone's like the Fit, Mini S & S2, mid range like the W, a whole constellation of "smart" phones and devices.

Too bad they don't break down their sales.

Why?

• Reply 53 of 68
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vqro View Post

"12 smartphones or tablets"

Ummm... it's probably 11.99999999999 smartphones and .000000000001 tablets every second.

Haha, You beat me to that! LOL

• Reply 54 of 68
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I stand corrected...In THIS thread we find out how insecure a lot of Apple users tend to be.

Insecurity does not = asking people to actually look behind the numbers to see what's supporting them, as in, why they are what they are. 

Besides, why would Apple users feel insecure? They're Apple users. 

• Reply 55 of 68
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

There is a video standard that most people in the US have never heard of --VCD or Video CD. It's a low rez, lo-fi standard wherein a full-length movie is crammed into a CD. It's used only in the third world and its only advantage is that everything about it is cheap. Okay, low cost. The media, the hardware requirements, and probably the licensing too.

I've always maintained that when the dust settles, Android will turn out to be the mobile OS of choice for the third world. It's got the same characteristics as VCD; cheap hardware, cheap licensing,and passable performance considering the price.

Clearly, you've been living too long in a tundra. Cheap DVD players made in China or elsewhere only cost USD 20, and of course you can figure out how much the "non-original" DVD titles, which include recent flicks [some still being played even in the theater near you], will cost you? Yupe, less than a buck american money for the 480p DVD-5 quality. Not bad, huh..., a movie title's sold for an hour's worth of parking meter money. It's been a while since VCD was the name of the game in the "third world", perhaps just about a decade ago. You ought to get out more often, or you can "google" or "siri" it before you make your comment. 

BTW, Apple counts on the growth from the two third world countries[i.e. China + India, population total 2.7 billions] for their growth strategy. Without them, Apple will sink like a titanic. FYI, there are just two continents where Apple is king: North America and Australia, total population: 330 million. If you take Asia alone, with its 4.2 billions and counting only top 5% as the possible Apple's product purchasers, you will end up with just 210 million asians. So, Apple will target that many asians, while other devices [mainly android's] will target perhaps around 2 Billion asians. In other words, when it comes to this sort of number game, Apple won't win. Although, Apple and its share holders are always the big winners. The former wins in the profit category by gladly sucking the money away from the very people who "love" Apple's crazily overpriced products- thank's heaven for the subsidy made by the big telcos. The latter wins when Apple's profit got multiplied since the share price will also move upward in the process. Do you own Apple stocks? You should. Since Apple is burning a hole in your left pocket, you should counter it by keeping at least one Apple stock inside your right pocket. And that is the true "zero sum game".

• Reply 56 of 68

Nice!

• Reply 57 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mcrs wrote: »
    BTW, Apple counts on the growth from the two third world countries[i.e. China + India, population total 2.7 billions] for their growth strategy.

China and India aren't… well, I suppose India is… China's not a third world country.
    Without them, Apple will sink like a titanic.

HA! No.
    FYI, there are just two continents where Apple is king: North America and Australia, total population: 330 million.

528,720,588 + 31,260,000 = 559,980,588.
    If you take Asia alone, with its 4.2 billions…

… and counting only top 5% as the possible Apple's product purchasers

Yeah, and if you count lactose intolerant people as the only possible people to buy milk, you get a similar result.
    …gladly sucking the money away from the very people who "love" Apple's crazily overpriced products…

You don't know the definition of the word "overpriced", nor do you seem to understand how a free market economy works, so I'll ask that you not troll again until you do, because it's just sad how little you know.
    …thank's heaven for the subsidy made by the big telcos.

Oh, the ones that all Android phones are also given, you mean? :lol: You people crack me up.
    And that is the true "zero sum game".

The true zero sum game is when idiot drive-by trolls like you post on forums for products you hate made by companies you hate, both of which because you're too stupid to look at truth or fact.

Again, you're all hilarious, but it's starting to get a little old. Like how you can't eat nothing but ham salad for three months in a row.
  • Reply 58 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

528,720,588 [Being North American Population]

Either you are terrible in arithmetic or geography or being SIRI'ed [Somewhat Intelligent Response Interpreter] or perhaps all three. North America is USA, Canada and Mexico. USA has population of about 310 million. Canada has about 35 million, and Mexico has about 110 milllion. You add them up, and you get? Nope, it's nowhere close to 528 milllion. And, no, you can't add population in Central America because it is called CENTRAL and not NORTH. The last time I check they "love" Iphone in Mexico as they have at most about 1.5 milllion Iphones sold there.

Quote:

3,879,000,000 [Being Asian Continent Population]

Hm..., where did you get that figures? From SIRI [Steve Is Really Inside] I betcha. That's probably asia population in 2008. See. if you need to correct figures please be intelligent enough to at least check your data and from what year. But, then again, I am speaking to an Isheep. I shouldn't expect too much.

Quote:

China and India aren't… well, I suppose India is… China's not a third world country.

Under which definition? Their minimum monthly wage in Shanghai [the municipality with the highest wage level] is about 200 bucks a month, or about USD 2400 per year. 

The rest of China is well below that. If by that wage level alone China is not qualified as third world country, I don't know what is. I can tell you many third world countries which beat that wage level very handily. I guess you at least know one of the reasons why Apple racks up that much profit right? Apple uses third world's labor but charges other-wordly prices for their products. [SARCASTIC MODE: ON] Of course, Apple's products are different since it is being made by "the best" third world labors out there, compare to ones employed by Samsung or others, so their products are better. Apple employs the best quality control out there too. It helps to explain the "death grip" issue and other matters [SARCASTIC MODE: OFF]

Quote:

Oh, the ones that all Android phones are also given, you mean? You people crack me up.

I love your logic, well, actually the logic of many I-sheeps in general. Since the subsidy level for Iphone is the same as android and other devices, that is why the telcos are now looking for other more viable alternatives from other suppliers. You saw how telcos profit got a big hit due to  the subsidy given to Iphone. You love having your beloved products;s share price going up due to profit, yet In other words, the way this level of subsidy barely works is by somewhat cross-subsidizing. So, other less prominent phone users, like Samsung's, HTC's or Nokia's, help subsidizing Iphone's users when they pay the same amount per month for the same data+voice plan. You don't realize it, and of course you don't care.   

It's sad actually when certain people don't realize that their daily fix actually requires other people to pay for it. So, yes, Apple products is way overpriced for things it can do, and it is even  extravagantly overpriced for what it actually can't do. 

• Reply 59 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="mcrs" url="/t/150955/google-says-12-android-devices-activated-every-second-400m-to-date/40#post_2136747"]North America is USA, Canada and Mexico. [/QUOTE]

Response 1: Continue pretending to believe that if you wish. The legal definition of North America actually encompasses the entirety of North America.

[QUOTE]And, no, you can't add population in Central America because it is called CENTRAL and not NORTH.[/QUOTE]

Response 2: Central America is not a continent.

[QUOTE]Hm..., where did you get that figures? From SIRI [Steve Is Really Inside] I betcha.[/QUOTE]

Response 3: Wikipedia. Your derogatory comments only serve to hasten your demise.

[QUOTE]That's probably asia population in 2008.[/QUOTE]

Response 4: 400,000,000 people cannot be born in four years. That's nonsense.

[QUOTE]See. if you need to correct figures please be intelligent enough to at least check your data and from what year. But, then again, I am speaking to an Isheep. I shouldn't expect too much.[/QUOTE]

Response 5: See response 3. This is the only reason I went to a numbered system, which I am ending now.

[QUOTE]Under which definition? Their minimum monthly wage in Shanghai [the municipality with the highest wage level] is about 200 bucks a month, or about USD 2400 per year. [/QUOTE]

All right, if you want to use wages as a definition, so be it.

[QUOTE]I guess you at least know one of the reasons why Apple racks up that much profit right? Apple uses third world's labor but charges other-wordly prices for their products.[/QUOTE]

Your implication–that others do not–is laughable.

[QUOTE]It helps to explain the "death grip" issue…[/QUOTE]

Yes, the one that didn't exist; I understand.

[QUOTE]Since the subsidy level for Iphone is the same as android and other devices, that is why the telcos are now looking for other more viable alternatives from other suppliers.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the telecoms, of whose smartphone sales 70% are iPhones, are certainly looking to other sources of revenue (ones that don't also bring in data fees, apparently), because the iPhone is…

Look, I don't even need to finish that sentence. :lol:

[QUOTE]You saw how telcos profit got a big hit due to  the subsidy given to iPhone.[/QUOTE]

No, I never saw that. You'll have to provide some sort of evidence for it because, as I have said, high-end Android phones cost the same as–or more than–the iPhone, and consequently they receive the same–or a greater–subsidy to keep the prices level.

[QUOTE]You love having your beloved products;s share price going up due to profit, yet In other words, the way this level of subsidy barely works is by somewhat cross-subsidizing. So, other less prominent phone users, like Samsung's, HTC's or Nokia's, help subsidizing Iphone's users when they pay the same amount per month for the same data+voice plan. You don't realize it, and of course you don't care.[/QUOTE]

Only because you don't seem to know what you're on about.
  • Reply 60 of 68

Have you heard of universal [UAA] MAC address? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm not sure how they track that. Google Play doesn't access the IMEI number, AFAIK.

So let's say you activate a phone, then swap the SIM to move to a different network and activate it again. Probably counts as a separate activation.